Kirk/Coopercraft L.N.E.R. buffet car

Hi,

unless someone more knowledgeable passes by=

Information on a preserved diagram 186 tourst open of 1936 (panelled type rather than flush like the mailcoach types) at the LNER Association includes details of interior as

flat surfaces were finished in red/brown 'rexine', the bucket seats upholstered in orange/ and red patterned 'moquette', with (red/brown) rexine backs and dark brown leather piping.

Here's a picture, and I'll wager the later flush sided stock looked similar.

http://www.lnerca.org/photoalbums/56856/5thOct2002/56856Gala2.htm

Hope this helps.

The restored buffet car is here http://www.lnerca.org/coaches/buffet.htm and i'm not sure if any of them had the swivel seats you get with all Kirk Gresleys.

I assume you are doing it in LNER condition and not BR when most of them were completely refurbished on the outside and in?

Rather garish orange everywhere then! http://www.lnerca.org/photoalbums/641/641-01.html

Thanks, but the seats supplied are more like individual bucket seats on a swivel base.

I wouldn't fancy any distance on those metal framed seats although I suppose the idea is to encourage a rapid turnover to enhance sales.

All verry interesting

Pete S

Thanks, but the seats supplied are more like individual bucket seats on a swivel base.

I wouldn't fancy any distance on those metal framed seats although I suppose the idea is to encourage a rapid turnover to enhance sales.

All verry interesting

Pete S

The metal framed chairs in the buffet are original LNER buffet car seats that has been removed and re-purposed when BR rebuilt the coach. They were dotated to the project by the railway institute in York according to the website.

As I said before, I wouldn't put any emphasis on the generic items supplied.

The orange curtains accompanied an external rebuild of the car and a change in cooker type.

Can I clarify what I believe to be the situation on chromed chairs and the preserved Buffet Cars.

Yes, the SVR LNER Coach Fund mentions the source of original buffet cars from the Railway Institute but they have not used them, keeping instead BR style bench seating.

The Railway Institute chairs were used for the NRM 9135 and NNR 51769, but not the NYMR 641. The owner of 641 decided to have new frames made using an original as a pattern.

Rob, I think your approach is probably the most effective in 4mm as they are probably not over apparent when the roof is in place.

Thanks for the Offer Larry but I completed this 12 months or more ago (on the old RMWeb) I just happened to have a couple of the photos handy when seeing this thread. I was even sad enough to make the brass foot rail around the bottom of the bar - I did enjoy the build though even though I do prefer to work with brass.

Archived