Hello, List.

Please find a drawing of a potential branchline terminal set in south Alabama on the old Central of Georgia. My father and grandfather both held seniority there, and I would too if the line was still down. It's a highly condensed version of Andalusia, AL, the station area only. I had to omit the wye because of space considerations.

Pavo, GA isn't built yet. After a ceiling collapse and a change at work, I put it on hold. I also wanted, deep down inside, to model a place where my family worked. Pavo was on a different seniority district.

So, for what it's worth, here's Almost Andalusia, AL. If you want more info, let me know.

Regards,

Tom Holley

post-25079-0-15354100-1510950814_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The tracks are as follows, top to bottom: top track is the dray track, next down is the house track, the mainline is third from the top, and the warehouse is the bottom track. The stub track with the crossing is the west leg of the wye (not modeled). The crossover by the depot was removed sometime in the 1940s; no one knows exactly when, and trains ran the wye to runaround the consist. No room for the wye, so I left the crossovers in.

The action will be arriving, running around the train, and working the house and dray. There were a lot of customers on the dray track...when I find a list I'll post it.

Regards,

Tom Holley

post-25079-0-19555100-1510952801_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Love the pictures very atmospheric , more please if you have them . I have a small collection of Georgia related rolling stock tucked away for one day .....

If you'd like, I can forward the Central of Georgia Historical Society's contact info, they have many photos. These are the only two I have of Andalusia.

Edited by TomHolley
  • Like 1

Across The Pond over here in the UK, I'm still finding US terms I'm unfamiliar with. In this case, "House" & "Dray" tracks. I take it the Dray is a similar term to Team Track - an expression I'm more familiar with - & refers to dray horses? & I'll guess the House Track has the Railroad-owned transfer shed on it; what in the UK would be called the Goods Shed?

Not my Era or Area of interest (which is mainly 1970s/80s upper Mid-West), but love the atmosphere of the photos! :good:

Here's a list of 1965 Andalusia, AL industries:

Across The Pond over here in the UK, I'm still finding US terms I'm unfamiliar with. In this case, "House" & "Dray" tracks. I take it the Dray is a similar term to Team Track - an expression I'm more familiar with - & refers to dray horses? & I'll guess the House Track has the Railroad-owned transfer shed on it; what in the UK would be called the Goods Shed?

Not my Era or Area of interest (which is mainly 1970s/80s upper Mid-West), but love the atmosphere of the photos! :good:

You are correct; the dray track and a team track are the same thing. The house track serves the railroad's goods shed. Dray and team track got their names from the old days, when a team of horse would dray the goods from the railyard to the business. A dray/team track is a good open industry. Just about any car type can be spotted there, and sometimes you have to shuffle them about to pull a car that's empty and then put the loads back. it's a neat industry with no structure required; just a dirt or paved parking lot.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...