Identify these locos, please

Whilst looking for the build date of Black Hawthorn Wellington I googled this page - http://www.tanfield-railway.co.uk/index.php?mact=LISETRLocomotives,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01item=wellington&cntnt01category=overhaul&cntnt01id_hierarchy=2&cntnt01template_category=hierarchy&cntnt01returnid=50

Can someone please identify the loco on the right.

And I bought this photo from ebay a while ago. There is no information on the back, so can anyone identify the loco or even the maker as it's a type I don't recognise at all.

post-494-0-74440400-1510950951.jpg

Whilst looking for the build date of Black Hawthorn Wellington I googled this page - http://www.tanfield-railway.co.uk/index.php?mact=LISETRLocomotives,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01item=wellington&cntnt01category=overhaul&cntnt01id_hierarchy=2&cntnt01template_category=hierarchy&cntnt01returnid=50

Can someone please identify the loco on the right.

As the caption notes, the loco on the right is Irwell, a Hudswell Clarke tank. Currently dismantled, full details are provided elsewhere on the website.

• RMweb Premium

And I bought this photo from ebay a while ago. There is no information on the back, so can anyone identify the loco or even the maker as it's a type I don't recognise at all.

attachicon.gifUntitled-2.jpg

The way the smokebox barrel projects beyond the saddle seems quite unusual, and I've seen it in some products of the Yorkshire Engine Co.

I reckon the loco in your posted picture is a Bagnall, perhaps one of those built for the Butterley Company - examples included 2607 of 1939 (Denby Colliery) or 2619 of 1940 (Ollerton Colliery) - the features check out and resemble the preserved Hawarden though that had cut down boiler fittings: note the shape of the buffer beams, coupling hook pocket and cab cut outs for example. The smokebox door is presumably a replacement?

Adam

Pretty sure it's a Kerr Stuart MOSS BAY class loco - some of this class were produced later under Bagnall jurisdiction.

I'm thrown by the supports under the tank midway along, also the shape of the slide bar brackets - maybe this is a Bagnall variant?

Edited by Osgood

Pretty sure it's a Kerr Stuart MOSS BAY class loco - some of this class were produced later under Bagnall jurisdiction.

I'm thrown by the supports under the tank midway along, also the shape of the slide bar brackets - maybe this is a Bagnall variant?

Going on the pictures in the Baker and Civil volume, I would agree that said supports and slide bars are features of the Bagnall development of the Moss Bay design of which Hawarden is the only survivor (I think?). Which it is, however, I've no idea.

Adam

• 3 years later...