3.5" gauge rolling stock bits...

muir

'morning.

I'm slowly building up a bit of a branch station layout in 3 1/2" gauge live steam, this being ground level and non rideon.

What I'm really asking does anyone have a source for 3.5" gauge commonwealth bogies? this is for constructing the good old BR MkI's and suburban corridors. I know there's loads of 5" gauge available, all nicely sprung with laser cut frames etc, but I'm just after essentially some sideframe castings for 3.5" gauge. Kind of like big Hornby Dublo.

Also Castings for the wagon axleguards and the like, Even finding wheels isn't that easy.

Anyone got some simple ideas on how to make basic axleguards and bogies that look the part?

I'm thinking about the possibility of getting some 3D printed (scaling up an existing drawing maybe?), but do admit that the coaches (wood framing, perspex sides) are still going to be weighty, so maybe printing isn't such a hot idea. 

I've got a cheapy little lathe, and milling machine which I can do a few things with. Anyone got any ideas on beginner casting???

Any and all input is mucho appreciated :)

Muir

Edited by muir

I cant be of much help, but I have to say for scenic modelling, you didnt pick the easiest scale. G3 is almost always scenic, and G5 usually has prototypical rolling stock. Ive never actually seen prototypical rolling stock in 3.5" gauge. For you, it might be a case of making everything yourself.

Thanks Spitfire2865,

Yeah, it's not the most useful scale I agree - I've got Hornby Dublo (00), and Lionel Standard Gauge, and I wanted something a bit more as well.

Anything sized too close to what I've already got, even it's of a different style, wasn't really going to hit the spot as it were.

I'm quite a DIY woodworker, it's just the annoying things like journals and leaf springs I'd rather get as add-ons.

Lots of dollshouse bit's available around that scale so making buildings can be fun.

At least the amount of rolling stock should be manageable!

The whole is basically modular so I can set it up in the garage when I want to do some running.

Many thanks

Muir

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

I joined this forum to just reply to this post :)

i make 3.5" rolling stock, LMS Guards van, GWR Guards van (toad), coaches and mineral wagons

i sell kits made of plastic

the trick is the bogies and hangers, I have them 3D printed via Shapeways... They're not cheap and require bearings and metal backing plates