Warships on short passenger trains

Nearholmer

I'm wondering if the assembled multitude can help find me some excuses .......

I'm looking for plausible reasons to run a Warship class at the head of very short passenger trains.

So far, I've found pictures of what I think must be winter-formation Waterloo-Exeter trains in the 1970s down to five cars, and a couple of shots of em hauling a mere four cars on the Newaquay Branch, with class 2 head code in the early 1960s.

Does anyone know of others? Convincing evidence of three cars would be perfect!

• RMweb Gold

Do they have to be West Country?

Regular Sunday afternoon turn in 68-69

2M75 Hereford to Brum up the Lickey - using stock from Padd - Worcester- Hereford  train - which would also have been a 3 coach portion from Worcester to Hereford.

Usual formation would be SK - CK - BSK

Hope that helps

Phil

• Like 2

Good pointers gentlemen, thank you.

Phil, anywhere is interesting, but the ideal, ideal would be on ex-SR metals, so that possibly means to Ilfracombe.

Here is 4 coaches from Ilfracombe in 1969

https://www.flickr.com/photos/malcolmbott/16915398007/in/photolist-gkv4ji-dQDv6s-t8TGa7-9jsJjq-9jsJ41-e6GirN-rLKQve-r9hkjp-QFoh6f

cheers

• Like 4

Excellent.

They must have worked the line only for quite a short period, from when ‘the enemy’ took over until closure. Some of the locos were still green then (Highflyer?), and I’m hoping some of the coaches too, because I can’t imagine myself going blue and grey on a ‘tinplate’ layout - it would feel totally wrong!

Do they have to be West Country?

Regular Sunday afternoon turn in 68-69

2M75 Hereford to Brum up the Lickey - using stock from Padd - Worcester- Hereford  train - which would also have been a 3 coach portion from Worcester to Hereford.

Usual formation would be SK - CK - BSK

Hope that helps

Phil

There were around five trains a day that continued beyond Shrub Hill to Hereford and portion working on those trains was pretty much the norm.

Then for a short while at least the entire service was worked by Warships.

This link has a nice picture of a Hereford portion at Malvern Link

http://www.miac.org.uk/class42.html

• RMweb Gold

There were around five trains a day that continued beyond Shrub Hill to Hereford and portion working on those trains was pretty much the norm.

Then for a short while at least the entire service was worked by Warships.

This link has a nice picture of a Hereford portion at Malvern Link

http://www.miac.org.uk/class42.html

And the move at Shrub Hill to join the Hereford portion to the Worcester stock was something to behold. I was fortunate to be around to witness it, the Warships were special for sure!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Excellent.

They must have worked the line only for quite a short period, from when ‘the enemy’ took over until closure. Some of the locos were still green then (Highflyer?), and I’m hoping some of the coaches too, because I can’t imagine myself going blue and grey on a ‘tinplate’ layout - it would feel totally wrong!

I think the North Devon line was dieselised in September 1964, most services worked by DMU, with some loco hauled. 

'In the Tracks of the ACE' by Jeffery Grayer has a photo of an unidentified green Warship departing Braunton with a green 3 coach set,

I am no expert but it may be mk1 BSK, CK, BSK,

edit, here is another Warship in North Devon, the full train can not been seen though

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74802869@N03/7271924650/in/photolist-bxjvKp-buZzZP-bpsgXM-buZAax-bqtNYX-bzVaPb-bNPP1T-bxczbZ-KBouJw-X1ujEd-bfWdei-bRfEre-c5AvRd-c5AvPA-Ke7jnY-bxcyPe-KEdA8Z-Ke4Wm7-Kxbjyz-KuP1aq-JHG4W8-YGMXZ7-cDCS5J-dUSXsQ-KuR6zj-KuQK8Y-cDD2Qj-KuPzxh-KBpNcq-dUMnkr-bfXfgr-nHmvm1-nAM2bG-YhbEsx-dUMySx-X1rFVW-bNPKUc-cDCm4d-cDCv6u-cDCyq7-cDCN8d-cDCCPN-bxjgXz-JHFWk7-JHCBb1-Ke4uYo-dUSTxf-oHLvv4-bfWjrv-bmcSR9

cheers

Edited by Rivercider