Scratch Built Rail Over River Bridge

Woody100

Hi all,

I'm 75% of the way to completing a bridge based on a real location. Any guesses which one? I've also built an associated building as below:

post-10208-0-34213600-1511023662_thumb.jpeg

post-10208-0-10624000-1511023686_thumb.jpeg

post-10208-0-95768400-1511023700_thumb.jpeg

post-10208-0-52279800-1511023752_thumb.jpeg

post-10208-0-76695000-1511023766_thumb.jpeg

post-10208-0-33498400-1511023781_thumb.jpeg

The build is based on the structure as it was (based on images) around 1977 to 1980.

Regards

Stu

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Beaten to it by Alasdair. The give-away for me was the boiler house.

I remember as a trainee working with the S&T Mechanical Fitters gang fitting a new 'bridge bolt' system (didn't work that well as the tolerances were too tight! So in the end it was decided to stick with the old bridge bolts for a while longer). Me and the ganger were actually in the four-foot of the Down Main bolting on some fittings when a Deltic on an Up passenger service came round the corner from Barlby - I've never moved so quick in my life! Where was the Lookout? In the boiler house chatting with the boiler man! Needless to say the ganger ripped him a new one.

Stu,

I assume you haven't finished the bridge yet, but have you considered the cable route (via catenary) from the river bank (down river Barlby side) to the apex of the roof? Also an antenna mounted on the railings for the Marine radio? A bit pedantic maybe, but would add even more realism to what is already a very good looking model.

Regards, Ian.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info. The bridge is about 75% complete and items added like aerials will get damaged if added at this stage in my clumsy handling.

It's interesting how many alterations have been done in a seemingly constant procession of changes. The upside walkway with railings only appears in images from around 1972 to 1974 as an example.

I still need to add hand railings to the two sets of steps, marine warning lights with associated protective railings and further weathering. The bridge, in the period depicted, was pretty grubby.

The white plastic supports at either end elevate it to the necessary 40mm above riverbed level (model lowest datum, not actual) and the central pillars will, when in situ, be surrounded by the timber frames.

The swinging mechanism is represented but is largely hidden by river bank, plant growth and more timber framing. I hope all such will be modelled (eventually).

Regards

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info. The bridge is about 75% complete and items added like aerials will get damaged if added at this stage in my clumsy handling.

It's interesting how many alterations have been done in a seemingly constant procession of changes. The upside walkway with railings only appears in images from around 1972 to 1974 as an example.

I still need to add hand railings to the two sets of steps, marine warning lights with associated protective railings and further weathering. The bridge, in the period depicted, was pretty grubby.

The white plastic supports at either end elevate it to the necessary 40mm above riverbed level (model lowest datum, not actual) and the central pillars will, when in situ, be surrounded by the timber frames.

The swinging mechanism is represented but is largely hidden by river bank, plant growth and more timber framing. I hope all such will be modelled (eventually).

Regards

Stu

Hi Stu,

I thought the walkway on the outside of the bridge (Up side) was added a little later, in the late 70s. When I was at Selby as a trainee there in late 1973 the walkways were in the 'four-foot' (both Up and Down sides), but my memory could be playing tricks with me! 

Not wishing to burden you with yet more detail (sorry about this, honest), but on the Station side bank (opposite the boiler house on the other bank), there was the old Signal box still in-situ (but disused) just off the end of the bridge - are you considering this as well?

A fascinating model and I will be keeping an eye out on here to see it progress to the finished article.

Regards, Ian.

Ian,

Images show the walkway in 77 with clean, newish paint. There's a gap from around 74 to 77 in available photos. So I'm making a best guess at 72-74. I could be wrong. The date on images might be awry? Hopefully a date can be pinned down for the work because the steps were changed at the time too.

The cabin at the London end seems to have gone by about 81. I want to build that too. I'm also well advanced on the building of the Station Masters house on the upside too. Now that building has been continually changed!

Thanks all for kind messages and indicators.

Regards

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Ian,

Images show the walkway in 77 with clean, newish paint. There's a gap from around 74 to 77 in available photos. So I'm making a best guess at 72-74. I could be wrong. The date on images might be awry? Hopefully a date can be pinned down for the work because the steps were changed at the time too.

The cabin at the London end seems to have gone by about 81. I want to build that too. I'm also well advanced on the building of the Station Masters house on the upside too. Now that building has been continually changed!

Thanks all for kind messages and indicators.

Regards

Stu

Hi Stu,

When the 'Station Masters' house stopped being used as such, the S&T lineman at Selby, Bill Moore (and his family), lived there for a number of years. Yes, it has changed over the years, but where hasn't?

Regards, Ian.

Here's a few more images with the, to offer its proper title, hydraulic actuating tower in an approximated correct place. I think it makes everything look more lifelike due to the myriad of images around taken from the country end of the down platform.

The first image captures the complex radii on the swing span that were a pain to work out without engineering drawings and the representation of the rotating mechanism. De-tyred Lego wheels have been used here.

The others show a class 31 trundling over with a short van train to help with scale.

post-10208-0-00295200-1511100241_thumb.jpeg

post-10208-0-92953900-1511100255_thumb.jpeg

post-10208-0-76585200-1511100279_thumb.jpeg

post-10208-0-91551700-1511100294_thumb.jpeg

Regards

Stu

• Like 4

Thanks LNERGE.

And thanks for that image. The detail there is very useful indeed!

I've done some fairly extensive research into the station and its immediate environs and service patterns around 1977 to 1980. It was a period of significant change that would be great to capture in a model.

Regards

Stu

Edited by Woody100