MWC HR Cattle wagons

uax6

• RMweb Premium

I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify this side from an old Model Wagon Co kit please:
post-8375-0-39299400-1511089266.jpg

At first glace it looks like a Highland railway one, but there are some bits that don't match the drawings I've got. The main one being the irons that secure the drop down door are the wrong shape. The Highland ones had right angles corners (as on the wagon below) whereas this side has curved ones.

post-8375-0-41890400-1511089395.jpg

Did Drummond use the design when he moved elsewhere?

One big issue is that photos of HR cattle wagons seem to number 1, and that is shown in Peter Tatlows HR carriage and wagon book. But interestingly that one is different again to the drawings in the book. has anyone got any other pictures of HR cattle wagons please?

Andy G

Hi,

That is the Caledonian cattle van you have there.

The Drummond design started with Peter Drummond on the Highland and he took the same design to the Glasgow & South Western in 1912. The Caley also used the same design probably via Peters brother Dougal. The three versions shared the main bodywork with only the drop down doors being a bit different. All used the relevant company axleboxes, buffers and their own version of brake gear.

All the Scottish companies standardised on the medium sized van for cattle. MWC did kits for a cattle van from each of them but the Highland outsold all the others by quite a big margin! I wonder why?

Ian.