Hythe Essex - History

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

Most weekday mornings before the sparrows have got out of their sleeping bags, I stand at Hythe (Essex) and wonder why such a long double platform was constructed here?  A large coal yard and goods yard perhaps ( local docks etc)   but space for a 14 coach train in both directions?

I am not a local ( might be regarded as one in 20 years time(!) )  so I have no idea other than obvious industrial architecture in the area.

Must have had a proper station building once upon a time, but all we have now is a bus shelter at one end of one platform.  I should be grateful that there is a train service at all - I would hate to have to commute across Colchester and pay someone £4 a day to park in their driveway.

Thanks in advance for any Hythe related pics to make my morning wait more interesting.

• RMweb Gold

I believe the platforms are a relatively recent change, extended to that length sometime around ten years ago, the station building was demolished and the connections to the yard taken out at the same time.

Martin

I'm reminded that my plans to revisit and photograph extant Great Eastern stations (open and closed) still have a way to go - not having visited Hythe and Wivenhoe for many years (although judging by the Wikipedia photo, there's not a lot to see at Hythe nowadays).

Before busshelterisation, Hythe had station buildings of similar design to those that survive at Alresford, Kirby Cross, Great Bentley and Weeley.  Here are a couple of views of the station taken from a train in 1975.

post-10122-0-80552000-1511300248_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-37394200-1511300864_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-47675200-1511301502_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Colchester Lathes - I learned on them at school.  

I am pretty sure that other than the track of the rails ( not the rails themselves) nothing else existed in those pictures now - fore ground, background etc.

Thanks you for sharing.