BRM @ Warley 2017: World Exclusive!

SteveCole

• Administrators

Is this 3D Pendon that is in the magazine? Really not sure. It’s a bit gimmicky

Some may feel it's 'gimmicky' as you put it but I'd urge anyone who's not sure to take a look. Every modeller I've shown it to has been amazed at the quality.

• Administrators

Will the pictures be printed also in proper 2D visible to the naked eye format?

No, but the Feb and Mar DVDs are both 'Behind the scenes at Pendon' specials by Andy York and Phil Parker plus a number of special guests.

• Administrators

the 80s called they want their idea back

This quality wasn't about in the 80s and certainly hasn't been used on a model railway. The details it allows you to see is quite incredible with a model railway as big and impressive as Pendon.

• Administrators

the 80s called they want their idea back

Strictly speaking, the first anaglyph 3D drawing was produced in 1853 so the basic concept is a bit older than the 80's. Photographs, or at least magic lantern slides appeared in 1858, pre-dating diesel railway locomotives by at least 40 years.

I'll admit to being a bit sceptical myself but once I saw some of the images, they are seriously impressive and give a new angle on a well-photographed subject. For obvious reasons, the Pendon team don't let anyone stick their head in to the Vale scene to get these views in real life.

Looking at the advert in the December digital edition on my screen using a pair of glasses given away by TV times (probably in the 80s!) works well too so digi readers will be fine. 

As Steve says, Andy and I are following up on the Feb and March DVD. We were only supposed to record one disk worth of content but came away with more than expected, some from places we hadn't anticipated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Strictly speaking, the first anaglyph 3D drawing was produced in 1853 so the basic concept is a bit older than the 80's. Photographs, or at least magic lantern slides appeared in 1858, pre-dating diesel railway locomotives by at least 40 years.

I'll admit to being a bit sceptical myself but once I saw some of the images, they are seriously impressive and give a new angle on a well-photographed subject.

... Looking at the advert in the December digital edition on my screen using a pair of glasses given away by TV times (probably in the 80s!) works well too so digi readers will be fine. 

As Steve says, Andy and I are following up on the Feb and March DVD.

I trust this follow-up doesn't turn out to be a precursor to some new-fangled publication - entitled "The Experimental Photographic Imaging Journal" - and published in conjunction with The Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain.

Joking aside, I suspect that quite a few RMweb members might be interested in photography - and a number of us might have considered some experimentation in this field.

I can also remember, as a sixth former (yes, in the early 1980s), visiting the former RPS premises at the Octagon, in Bath - and thoroughly enjoying the experience.

Steve did say at the beginning that they had something that they were "getting so excited about..."

<EDIT> Perhaps this next issue shouldn't be sealed in plastic. A brown paper bag may be more appropriate....

Well, I guess it's either that or an opaque plastic carrier bag, in an exotic colour.

You should do a cover disc in ‘Real 3D’ for those with a 3D tv

Just as long as this doesn't get followed by comments about "all those models looking so real".

Seriously though, even if the idea of 3D photography does sound a bit gimmicky, innovations / experiments / spectacles like this offer a way of making progress, moving forward and trying to interest people outside the hobby's traditional demographic.

It should also be added that some of us might also have been thinking about how it might be possible to do this sort of stuff (for various reasons) - but been unable to progress beyond the initial "dreaming / thinking" stage because we're never likely to have access to the equipment needed to do this properly.

I hope that, at some point, we're shown what equipment was used - and what needed to be done.

Huw.

• Administrators

If you want to know more about stereo photography, a visit to the Stereoscopic Society website is worth it. If red/green lenses are available, watch the introduction video.

I've actually got a set of stereo prototype images of the Hellingly Hospital Railway passed on to me from a visitor to an exhibition. These need a Victorian viewer, but it's not so different from the Pendon shots. I wonder if there are any other out there?

How about a pop-up book version of BRM?

Or how about extend the idea furhter to make an event where lots of layouts come to the same place and people come to see the layouts in full 3D and ask the operator any question they want. We would do '3D' how-to articles by having experienced modellers demonstrate a particular skill for people there. The adverts could be made '3D' by having the traders actually there and people could buy things from them while they are there...

• Like 1

Borrow

All digital readers will be able to fill-in a simple online form and we'll post the glasses free of charge. The pictures look amazing on screen!

'Borrow' some glasses on your next cinema visit. some marketing there, showing nothing but creating intrigue!

Will the layouts  exhibited be 3D in Warley or will you need glasses too?

Edited by Georgeconna