The Festival of British Railway Modelling - Doncaster, 10&11 February 2018

BRMExhibitions

Hello

Thanks to every-one organised the show and looked after us so well. First show with Georgemas Jct for nearly 2 years so we had a few minor glitches but mostly was OK; may have been the humidity on the Saturday afternoon. Also thanks to  our friends the New Bryford crew for looking after their senior neighbours. Good show with lots of nice layouts, what's not too like. sorry about the snow Mick, I was back home and unloaded by 1930.

Cheers

George

Hornby had the decoration samples of the Lord Nelsons on show along with the Toad E EP.

attachicon.gifHornby_Lord_Nelson.jpg

attachicon.gifHornby_Lord_Rodney.jpg

attachicon.gifHornby_Sir_Francis_Drake_2.jpg

attachicon.gifHornby_Toad_E_1.jpg

attachicon.gifHornby_Toad_E_2.jpg

As I am a fan of smoke deflectors, I always liked their addition to the Lord Nelsons, gives them a 'finished' look.  Don't know about the enlarged funnel though!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to Andy Y and others for their kind comments regarding 'Sidmouth'. Thank you also to the organisers. Our team had a most enjoyable time.

Richard

I must say I found Sidmouth a very nice layout. It reminded me of holidays in the West Country in the 1950s. The atmosphere of no rush, occasional flurry of activity and back to sitting in the sun waiting for the next train to come. Just needed the Test Match commentary on an old valve portable to complete the picture.

• Like 4

I made the trek to Doncaster on Sunday.  The extent of the finescale presence was pleasing to me as regards layouts and trade support and the plaudits for Sidmouth were well deserved.  I was pleased to see Empire Mills (EM) again: it is at its best when in china clay mode.  Broom Junction (EM) seemed not to be having a very good day.  Shown as work in progress was Kineton, from the Leamington club.  The strategy adopted is for it to look finescale while allowing club members to run their N gauge stock.  Given the flaky nature of N gauge standards the result could be interesting, hopefully in the right way.  This is one to watch.  Ludlow showed just how good N is at portraying the railway in the landscape, particularly when the temptation to lay the track dead straight is resisted.   A subtle curve makes so much difference.  St Simon's Norwood Road will, by Simon's own admission, benefit from the curing of a persistent track fault which is probably easier to say than to accomplish and by adding some decrepitude to the fine row of low relief buildings to make it look more like Croydon.  All in all I felt that the choice of layouts was much better than at, say, Peterborough, where I got the distinct impression that hell would freeze before a P4 layout was allowed anywhere near it. 

As for trade [brace yourselves], I agree with PenrithBeacon that there could usefully have been slightly fewer box shifters.  Doncaster is a good place to buy books and the level of supply I thought about right.  Perhaps it is wishful thinking but I felt that there was slightly less junk on sale this year.  May that trend continue.  I steered clear of the sweet stall because once I start munching coconut mushrooms there is no stopping me.  It's good practice for Lent, which begins the day after tomorrow.  Following the announcement on Saturday that Modelmaster is retiring there might just have been some panic buying of their products (just the one pack for me, thanks).

I had one cup of tea, which to my amazement was significantly cheaper than the one I had at Blyth services on the way to the show.  I caught sight of a pie and was glad that I had made sandwiches.

Chris 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It was the Station Building end of the layout that was so amazing. The Station Roof itself is an incredible piece of model engineering. I couldn't get to see the other parts due to crowds.

This and Tay bridge structure are museum standard at the very least and I do hope that is where they may find a home in later years.

Phil

• Like 3

• Administrators

There is a potential problem for traders when there are too many at a show selling the same items. Nobody sells enough to make a profit!

Potentially, but the large traders you would expect to be affected in this way keep coming back each year so we have to assume attendance is paying off - or they are all rich and looking to burn through a pile of cash!

All the traders had crowds on Saturday, I agree there were a lot of boxes to sell but I wouldn't say there was a dearth of punters.

I'm just glad i wasn't on the look out for anything as I would have spent all day on the traders and not been watching the trains.

Lime Street was a lesson in forward thinking when building wide baseboards - you need to be able to reach all the bits as you never know where a train is going to fail although it will undoubtedly always be in the most inaccessible part of the layout.  Luckily Lime Street comes with a big stick plus sliding back scenes, lift out roof sections and a giant god like figure who descends from the heavens when there is a derailment.

The Hotel on Lime Street has been well worth waiting for!  The mock-up that has been used up till now was something that has, in a way, let the layout down in the past. I didn't get to the exhibition this year but I'll be looking forward to seeing Lime Street again somewhere.

Visited on Sunday. I thought it was either quieter or there was more space, but was told numbers were up and they had the same number of stands as last year. So maybe there were a few big stands missing. I did notice Axminster Tools weren't there (of course - I wanted to see them) and one of the traders said that Gaugemaster have stopped doing shows. I don't recall seeing Lightmoor there before, so maybe there has been a bit of evolution of traders.

I thought the layouts were stronger than for a number of years, especially the 2mm ones. Usually they do nothing for me, but there were some very good ones this year. Hope under Dinmore was head and shoulders the best thing there, i thought: Sidmouth was having running problems when I was watching it.

Nice to see a number of familiar faces as well - Phil almost fooled me with his cunning spectacles disguise, but eventually I saw through them.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you!

From all the Liverpool Lime Street crew, to BRM/Warners for inviting us and their hospitality, and the many visitors who came to see us.

A few initial gremlins on Saturday morning (always a risk when you move something as large and complex as this) and things then ran very smoothly.

The appreciative comments from the crowd were very welcome, as were the recollections of those who know the area modelled and recalled the scene.

It took us until about 8pm to get away from the venue, so we stayed an extra night in Donny.

Good journey home on Monday morning, save for the usual motorway delays at 50mph for several miles.

Having unloaded the vans at John's, and returning them to Intack Hire of Blackburn, I distributed the team to their residences and got home at 4pm.

We're now looking forward to a few months of development work on the layout before our next outings to Newcastle and Warley in November.

See you all there??????????

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A quick note from me as a member of the Empire Mills team to say thank you to those who came to look at the layout over the weekend. We were all pleased to receive compliments on the layout and personally I was impressed by the number of times I got the Sprat and Winkles to work. But then I did spend quite a lot of time chatting to passers-by and fettling some of the ones that didn't.

Wandering around the show on breaks, there was loads to inspire -- I'd echo the comments above without wanting to single any layouts out -- and a general good feeling.

What struck me at five on Sunday afternoon is how intricate and sometimes brilliantly transformed many knocked-down and packed-up layouts look. Has anyone documented this?

Ben

Edited by readingtype
  • Like 1

• Administrators

What struck me at five on Sunday afternoon is how intricate and sometimes brilliantly transformed many knocked-down and packed-up layouts look. Has anyone documented this?

We've looked at Sidmouth as part of the BRM DVD due in (I think) June and also had a chat with Liverpool Lime Street for the same disk - filming carried out over the weekend, editing at the moment. As you say, it's an interesting subject.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who stopped off at the BRM stand for a chat - especially those who said nice things about Didsbury Green.

attachicon.gifBluebell2_867.jpg

One (layout related) highlight of the show was discovering that The Really Useful Box Company, who make the plastic boxes I build layouts in, as a local firm. I met the man who delivers plastic to them. I'd assumed these things were made in China, but no, they are a product of Doncaster.

Factory shop is just off the M62 at Normanton Phil. Worth a visit - the range is huge, way beyond what's normally stocked by the likes of Staples and B&Q etc.