Humbrol Gloss varnish vs Gloss cote

Hi all,

a quick question. I have both a small tin of humbrol gloss varnish and also a jar of humbrol gloss cote.

why question - what's the difference? Is the 'cote' a thinner version of the varnish as it is no where near as thick as the tinned varnish?

I guess the gloss cote can't be used on very unevern surfaces as it will 'pond' in the dips?

many thanks

Darryl

• RMweb Gold

I too had issues with a bauxite painted van that did not turn out anything like matt and was a poor finish; I used to have a very high regard for Humbrol paints and still use their acrylics, along with Tamiya, but have given up on enamels of any make.  I found Railmatch disappointing as well, though the colour, BR Carmine in this case, was good.

I don't like gloss finishes on models anyway and cover with matt clear varnish (Humbrol acrylic) any such that I find, mostly Oxford road vehicles.  It is my personal view (other personal views, and other persons, are available) that, in the 12 inch to the foot world very few surfaces appear glossy when viewed from anything more than about 20 feet away, and that a gloss or high gloss finish has no place on a model.

I always use Testors aerosol DulCote and GlossCote, I've had very good results.  I wouldn't use a brush on varnish.  Just using some Humbrol Enamel today, seems good - mind you, it's an old tin.  I used some Humbrol acrylic some while ago and was dismayed when, after I masked an area, the paint came off with the tape.  The pot was "Made in China".  Haven't had any of the newer stuff made in UK.  My go to brand for standard colours is Tamiya.  PollyS acrylic was excellent but the idiots at Testors discontinued the range.

John

Gloss varnish is an enamel based varnish likely to yellow with age. Gloss vote is an acrylic based clear varnish.

Shame there isn't a button to click for "fantastic effort - the first answer to the actual question asked!!" so I clicked "like" instead  :jester:

daz9284 - glad you asked this. I've been meaning to ask the same for ages.....

To slightly hijack this thread, I've received some "Precision Decals" decals for Arriva Trains Wales multiple units. The instruction state to use only Johnson's Kleer, applied by airbrush.

I don't posses an airbrush so what do I do?

Any (polite) answers gratefully accepted

Tim T

Put it on with a brush, it doesn't need to be airbrushed at all (and in fact cleaning the airbrush is a faff after spraying it, so I usually resort to a hairy stick). Just be aware a little goes a very long way, so don't overload the brush - it seems almost like water when applied, and will run almost as much. You can clean the brush afterwards in soap and water but to do it properly you really need to rinse in household ammonia (windo cleaner might work, depends on the variety).

DON'T use Humbrol gloss Varnish  it will turn white and mess your paintwork up. Check out on here about Humbrol paints.

"it will turn white and mess your paintwork up"

Any make/type of enamel varnish can end up "ghosting or blooming", especially if it's airbrushed in unsuitable conditions - high humidity / dampness / cold etc, another cause of problems is using quick drying thinners normally used for colours, these should not be used to spray varnish, hence Phoenix Precision Paints supply enamel varnish thinners for the purpose, although normal white spirit will do the same job, and is cheaper.

I've sprayed/brushed Humbrol enamels including varnishes for many years, without no issues so far.............

"it will turn white and mess your paintwork up"

Any make/type of enamel varnish can end up "ghosting or blooming", especially if it's airbrushed in unsuitable conditions - high humidity / dampness / cold etc, another cause of problems is using quick drying thinners normally used for colours, these should not be used to spray varnish, hence Phoenix Precision Paints supply enamel varnish thinners for the purpose, although normal white spirit will do the same job, and is cheaper.

I've sprayed/brushed Humbrol enamels including varnishes for many years, without no issues so far.............

But is the Humbrol you have come from china , I've got some old Humbrol Enamels from 20 years back they are fine. Had no problem with Railmatch varnish or Phoenix Precision paints. The Humbrol varnish was put on with a brush from the tin on to  transfers. i will never use Humbrol Enamels again it's not worth the risk .

I always use Testors aerosol DulCote and GlossCote, I've had very good results.  I wouldn't use a brush on varnish.  Just using some Humbrol Enamel today, seems good - mind you, it's an old tin.  I used some Humbrol acrylic some while ago and was dismayed when, after I masked an area, the paint came off with the tape.  The pot was "Made in China".  Haven't had any of the newer stuff made in UK.  My go to brand for standard colours is Tamiya.  PollyS acrylic was excellent but the idiots at Testors discontinued the range.

John

Testors replaced PollyS some time ago (10+yrs) with Acryl. The US railroad Acryl colour range was discontinued (as was Floquil) but Acryl general and military colours continue. I think Acryl is very good and passes a thumb-nail scratch test better than Vallejo. Vallejo is also attacked by IPA which Acryl is not.....

My other favourite acrylic is Modelflex from Badger which does still do US railroad colors.

• RMweb Gold

I've successfully used an artists Soluble Acrylic Matt Varnish from Daler-Rowney. I've still got a large bottle my son bought about 15 years ago, so I don't know if it matches the current formula. It is spirit based and if it starts to thicken in the bottle a few drops of white spirit freshens it up. It goes on very thinly and can be brushed successfully as long as you don't load the brush too much.

To slightly hijack this thread, I've received some "Precision Decals" decals for Arriva Trains Wales multiple units. The instruction state to use only Johnson's Kleer, applied by airbrush.

I don't posses an airbrush so what do I do?

Any (polite) answers gratefully accepted

Tim T

You wont get the orginal Johnsonsal Klear in the shops anymore  but Alclad Gloss is the same thing I use that now along with their Matt and Satin Varnishes and they come up a treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX4GbKANQeg

You wont get the orginal Johnsonsal Klear in the shops anymore  but Alclad Gloss is the same thing I use that now along with their Matt and Satin Varnishes and they come up a treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX4GbKANQeg

The presently available formulation of Klear appears to work just as well........................

Edited by tractor_37260