Rail Head Treatment Train (RHTT) in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

I’ve also got a Hornby KFA to explore the conversion to the appropriate diagram but again that’s a bit of a compromise.

I have a pair of these to convert to the first batch with GPS bogies all I need to do is source suitable GPS bogies and find time in 2020 to modify them!

Mark Saunders

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We've got some more news to share with you all today regarding the RHTT wagons.

We've used the CAD files that we showed off a few weeks ago to have a 3D print created. This will allow us to check major dimensions and shapes against our references and measurements.

Once checked, this will allow us to approve the CAD and move on to cutting metal for the Tooling stage.

We're happy with the detail that has been captured and we'll ensure that everything is correct before moving on.

post-28458-0-01709100-1516987133_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-47936500-1516987138_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-99055600-1516987167_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-44121000-1516987175_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-02153100-1516987182_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-22507900-1516987189_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-72446800-1516987194_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-66722200-1516987200_thumb.jpg

As always, please feel free to share your thoughts and feedback. It's really valuable to get so much feedback at this stage.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hatton's Dave
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Must say for a 3D print that has some amount of detail on it and looks very good. Will you have these at Glasgow so we can get a proper look?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

We certainly will be taking this up to Model Rail Scotland.

Please feel free to say hello and come take a closer look at some point.

Cheers,

Dave

These do look good.

Makes me realise though how good the S Kits moulds were for the time.

Yes, they are certainly missing some of the finer detail, and yes they do require building....

The decoration will improve these further.

Sure I'll be buying some !

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

We've got some more news to share with you all today regarding the RHTT wagons.

We've used the CAD files that we showed off a few weeks ago to have a 3D print created. This will allow us to check major dimensions and shapes against our references and measurements.

Once checked, this will allow us to approve the CAD and move on to cutting metal for the Tooling stage.

We're happy with the detail that has been captured and we'll ensure that everything is correct before moving on.

attachicon.gifRHTT_1_3D.jpg

attachicon.gifFEA_1_3D.jpg

attachicon.gifFEA_2_3D.jpg

attachicon.gifFEA_3_3D.jpg

attachicon.gifFEA_4_3D.jpg

attachicon.gifModule_1_3D.jpg

attachicon.gifModule_2_3D.jpg

attachicon.gifModule_3_3D.jpg

As always, please feel free to share your thoughts and feedback. It's really valuable to get so much feedback at this stage.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

Will there be room to put LED lights in to the RHTT as the real ones do in a couple of places that they have them or will they come with LED's as standard...? Great to see the RHTT being done, there should be more of the 'Working' like the RHTT wagons made rather than a re-livery and re-sell them on mass, so I take my hat off to you for this Model being made. 

Is everything still running to the expected time scale...?

Regards

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We have now received the first EP for the RHTT FEA-F wagon, featuring one wagon chassis along with one of each module used to create the finished wagons.

The wagon itself has a good amount of weight owing to the diecast chassis which also has a lot of separately fitted detailing applied to it.

This is also true of the modules themselves where we have etched metal handrails, grilles and an array of finely moulded details.

This EP will be used to ensure that details are correctly placed on the wagons as well as testing the running qualities, coupling and ease of use in regards to adding and removing modules.

We're still on target for a November release and pre-orders can be placed on our website at www.hattons.co.uk/rhtt

I've added a few photographs below and as always we're keen to hear what you think.

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-26501400-1525357302_thumb.jpg
post-28458-0-10841100-1525357325_thumb.jpg
post-28458-0-74749900-1525357314_thumb.jpg
post-28458-0-99709900-1525357308_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Looks outstanding! Slowly buying up some more suitable locomotives for the rail head season coming this year! Would be wonderful if you have plans to commission either Bachmann or ViTrains to release the 57/0 in DRS with flush fronts and radiator grills ;) 

Very neat how the size difference in the spruces has been tooled. 

I am sure this is due to the tooling not being 'hardened'/finalised. But isn't the module flooring meant to be checker-plated? 

• Like 1

Hi Dave

Great updates and looking superb, I can't wait to see it in real, will it come with working LED lighting on the model...? or will it be easy to install lighting, room for wires etc to each LED Light on each of the units/module that have lights.

Jamie

Hi Dave

Great updates and looking superb, I can't wait to see it in real, will it come with working LED lighting on the model...? or will it be easy to install lighting, room for wires etc to each LED Light on each of the units/module that have lights.

Jamie

Lit, it would look superb, I’m sure. I recall that Olivia’s Trains (helmet on) fitted lighting to autoballasters and they looked wonderful. Mind, it was all done by hand and made anything ever done by Rapido seem dirt cheap.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Looks outstanding! Slowly buying up some more suitable locomotives for the rail head season coming this year! Would be wonderful if you have plans to commission either Bachmann or ViTrains to release the 57/0 in DRS with flush fronts and radiator grills ;)

Very neat how the size difference in the spruces has been tooled. 

I am sure this is due to the tooling not being 'hardened'/finalised. But isn't the module flooring meant to be checker-plated? 

As this is just the first EP there aren't all of the finer details included as of yet. The rivets and checker-plate etc. will appear on later samples.

Hi Dave

Jamie

We're not offering these models with lighting pre-fitted although it should be possible to add lighting to the models if desired.

Cheers,

Dave

• 1 month later...

Tanks before and after cleaning last night at Holgate 

Nice photo, do all the RHTT's go back t a central place to be refilled and ready for the next shift as there are a few sets in that photo.

Regards

Jamie

Holgate does have a lot of them as well as a lot of MPV modules.. Only found out the other day that both spare Beilhack plough blades are there from the scrapped ZZA's.

As for a central base I'm not sure of the other depots, somebody will know better but all I know is I keep missing the Colas 70's that have the RHTT duty at the moment

I count just short of 100 tanks in this view, God knows how many are in side the depot, note all the MPV modules  https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.9570723,-1.1049115,373m/data=!3m1!1e3

I believe Holgate services them all during the summer, but only a few operate from here in the winter. The others move to scattered depots and operate from them during the 'season', http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rhttfeaf Holgate has also been maintaining MRA and Autoballasters. Also the NRM works items into/out of there when they need loading onto a road vehicle  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/britaingeneralrail/e141c418f

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I think holgate does the ‘Harrogate loop’ RHTT circuit

Other depots include coleham for the Cambrian and north wales job, Toton for the MML circuit and north staffs circuit, Kingmoor for the carlisle to Newcastle circuit and stowmarket for Anglia, there are more in scotland and MOV circuits in the south and Merseyside

Funny thing is I’m road learning some new RHTT routes in a few weeks and summer hasn’t even started yet!

Edited by big jim

Funny thing is I’m road learning some new RHTT routes in a few weeks and summer hasn’t even started yet!

70805 and 70811 were doing the rounds last week but the play things at York at the moment are very shiny 68027/032 for TPe

Don't stay there too long Jim as they seem to paint everything RHTT blue, you will find out when you go, lol

Edited by 25901
  • Thanks 1