Rail Head Treatment Train (RHTT) in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Hi Hatton's Dave

These RHTT's do look superb, I'm glad I have ordered me one of these and the extra wagon, It's about the we had some one push the boundaries out and be more daring on the unusual items that run on the rail network, rather than just slap a new livery on it and resell it for over the odds prices, I don't mind paying it, if it is like the items that you have announced recently.

The Cranes that you have just announced is another fine example of pushing the boundaries of something unusual... those will look great to  :locomotive:

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Hattons kindly lent a pair of wagons for a play on New Bryford at the Warley/NEC show.

Despite the sharp curves and the heavy load of an unpowered 37 at the back, they ran faultlessly all weekend.

I may have to purchase a set......

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

Hattons kindly lent a pair of wagons for a play on New Bryford at the Warley/NEC show.

Despite the sharp curves and the heavy load of an unpowered 37 at the back, they ran faultlessly all weekend.

Cheers,

Mick

Yeah just saw it on YT, Hatton's just released a video of Warley which shows the RHTT on the layout, link below;

• Like 3

Cheers,

Mick

Did you give it back Mick?

It does look great running through - I wanted the Sandite set but the Cumbrian set is 3 wagon water jetting formation so need to decide.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by MRDBLUE17

• RMweb Premium

Did you give it back Mick?

It does look great running through - I wanted the Sandite set but the Cumbrian set is 3 wagon water jetting formation so need to decide. 

Cheers

Mark 

There were a few minutes when the Hattons staff were wondering where it had disappeared to............................

Like you, I want to model the 3 wagon 3J11 set. (8 tanks, 1 jetter)

Hattons are doing a two wagon set of 5 tanks/1 jetting unit and then an additional wagon with 3 tanks. Sorted!

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's not really to do with the subject, and call me sad but I'd love to jet wash that!

Flip me...

That as to be the dirtiest I've ever seen, and I had two class 56 Colas Rail through Bangor station few days ago and they were really bad, but can't say they were that bad, I think that as to go down as one of the worse, EVER... lol

Regard

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning all

We have received a weathered sample of our RHTT wagon from the factory today.  

It shows the level of weathering to expect on the models and represents a typical ‘in service’ wagon covered in the grime that they collect.

The factory has started production and we should have production samples of all variations very soon.  

Delivery is still on target for March 2019.

post-28458-0-90603300-1546947991_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-96242200-1546947995_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-45458500-1546948000_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-81092000-1546948007_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-35311600-1546948031_thumb.jpg

Let us know what you think of the factory weathered model.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, when they come back to York there is a lot of dirt on the lower parts and parts of the ends but the upper parts are only lightly weathered. Lots of examples here https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rhttfeaf  The natural weathering is complex!

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If it helps heres a close up of the module (If you can weather a 66 like this too I think you will find a few takers)  :sungum:

Ive zoomed in close, notice how the ends of the tanks are also quite clean.

And the whole thing (the zoom above was from this image), the 66 on the back was clean by comparison of the front one.

Here's the Nozzle. (If you want the fullsize images 6000x4000 I am happy to email over).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Agreed, when they come back to York there is a lot of dirt on the lower parts and parts of the ends but the upper parts are only lightly weathered.

Seen today, a couple of sets returning from Shrewsbury, seen at Stenson south of Derby:

post-21664-0-99020500-1547132387_thumb.jpg

post-21664-0-15336200-1547132604_thumb.jpg

Of note are the clean-ish ends and less spray the higher you go.

Jack.

• Like 1

Let us know what you think of the factory weathered model.

I think the pitfall with any attempt to portray really heavy weathering is the danger that it just ends up looking as though someone has pointed a very large spraygun at the model, closed their eyes, squeezed the paint trigger and hoped for the best.  And even if that isn't the case the end result can look as though it was, if you see what I mean.  Difficult I guess, does a production-line painter have the time to add the subtleties that others are correctly pointing out should be present? 

Personally I have ordered a non-weathered variant and would prefer to add my own somewhat lighter weathering - that may not be deemed strictly 'prototypical', but as aforementioned most attempts at REALLY heavy weathering seem difficult to get right when scaled down and almost always look overdone.  Less is almost always more, even with the heaviest/dirtiest of vehicles.  In short, I would say the photos above make the weathering appear a little one-dimensional perhaps, but then that might well need to be the norm for factory weathering, I'm not sure?  Just my two-penneth.

cheers

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

We now expect the wagons to be delivered in early February next year and we will update everyone with an exact date when we have it.

Delivery is still on target for March 2019.

Hmm, 'still on target' is incorrect use of English. Seeing as your last update stated you 'expect' delivery in early February and shall update us, thus your latest post should really say you are delighted to confirm delivery shall now be March. Seeing as the date has now slipped three times. Perhaps, best not to give such precise dates as it just leads to disappointment. A more generic 'Quarter' could have saved face. Seeing as there is correction to do to the weathering, with CNY soon upon us, add in shipping and customs, even March seems a bit ambitious. Unless you are not taking on-board comments above on weathering. 

Shall the RHTTs be available through other retailers, as I rather get free postage and support a local shop. 

Hmm, 'still on target' is incorrect use of English. Seeing as your last update stated you 'expect' delivery in early February and shall update us, thus your latest post should really say you are delighted to confirm delivery shall now be March. Seeing as the date has now slipped three times. Perhaps, best not to give such precise dates as it just leads to disappointment. A more generic 'Quarter' could have saved face. Seeing as there is correction to do to the weathering, with CNY soon upon us, add in shipping and customs, even March seems a bit ambitious. Unless you are not taking on-board comments above on weathering.

Shall the RHTTs be available through other retailers, as I rather get free postage and support a local shop.

Hattons have announced that they will be supplying retailers with their own products which is great news as my local model shop told me they can now order Hattons products in for me. Best to check with your shop of choice and see if they can for you.

Does it really matter if these things slip by a couple of months? Hattons Dave communicates news on here really rather well they have announced and delivered products in quick timescales and we are getting Models that many probably didn’t expect to see in RTR form.

We should all be a lot more positive that there are lots of new and varied things being produced from both the big and newer manufactures as despite rising costs and difficult trading conditions our hobby is still doing fairly well.

Mark

Seeing as your last update stated you 'expect' delivery in early February and shall update us, thus your latest post should really say you are delighted to confirm delivery shall now be March. Seeing as the date has now slipped three times. Perhaps, best not to give such precise dates as it just leads to disappointment. A more generic 'Quarter' could have saved face.

Oh my, oh my, does 4 weeks really inconvenience anyone that much?!  If we were talking about the late delivery of body organs to a waiting transplant patient then I could fully empathise, but really, first-world issues etc...  

As the post above has stated we are now virtually spoiled by the vast array of models being introduced, in many ways us modellers have never had it so good.  But alas, 4 weeks behind schedule, oh dear, oh dear, oh bl**dy dear.  :drag:

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 22/02/2019 at 13:01, ruggedpeak said:

They are back at York, 2 long sidings with long lines of dirty rhtt wagons just north of the station.

They might be hanging around dirty for a bit as Holgate Depot is having part of the traverser removed and a fan of lines put in to feed the shed

Edited by 25901

On 13/01/2019 at 11:30, 159220 said:

Careful, hattons may decide that they do t want to communicate with us through the forum if exposed to much more pedantry 

The RHTT sets were great to see today and not long to wait till they arrive either. Chatting with Dave this morning and seeing the factory production versions has made my mind up to order the weathered set for water jetting so I can model the Cumbrian Coast circuit. I was waiting to see the difference between the clean and weathered ones and they will match my weathered pair of 66’s perfectly.

cheers

Mark

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Our Rail Head Treatment Trains are set to arrive at Hattons shortly and will be released on Thursday 21st March.

We’ll be processing all pre-orders on Tuesday 19th and despatching the following day, so please ensure your card details are up to date.

If you are still yet to order, we suggest pre-ordering to ensure you get your set as soon as possible. You can do so on THIS page of our website.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 5