Rail Head Treatment Train (RHTT) in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Really looking forward to getting mine, I'm just torn between weathered or not weathered after seeing these photos, have the weathered on pre-order. Model yes looks fantastic just the all over weathering has me considering doing my own. 

decisions decisions! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These are absolutely superb. Only planned on getting the weathered Sandite version but ended up with a pristine one too as the detail and livery application is another level. Definitely recommend the coupling bar if you want to double head as it significantly reduces any risk of derailment....even on some of my more dubious curves..

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Winter123 said:

These are absolutely superb. Only planned on getting the weathered Sandite version but ended up with a pristine one too as the detail and livery application is another level. Definitely recommend the coupling bar if you want to double head as it significantly reduces any risk of derailment....even on some of my more dubious curves..

Hattons kindly lent me a pair of RHTT wagons at a couple of recent exhibitions. Even with the standard tension lock between them, that twisted to one side slightly, they ran well with an unpowered  loco at the back. 

Thankfully, my "dubious" curves are  out of sight!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Mine arrived with bits loose in the box, tension lock coupling in reverse and bent, paint splashes, chipped paint, separation between plastic mould and die cast chassis and bent brake rods/handles. Cannot say I am impressed for £32-118 wagons! I fear for the quality of the 66s now...

IMG_2091.JPG.05a561cd43f02d29f6b6851d8fcad978.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG.44433d2c23667d6d75a5fba3b6cf754e.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG.f03e3373e402ef6f1710cef13fe1b227.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Oh dear, far bigger issue. The 'sandite' RHTT (even though sandite was replaced by TrackGrip60 many years ago...) is not in the correct formation with the yellow hoses being modelled at the wrong end of the wagon. This means the bogies with the nozzles is at the wrong  end of the wagon too. I have illustrated (all be it basic) the correct formation. 

Can Hatton's Dave confirm they shall be corrected in future batches? Simple as the hoses and bogies changing ends, with the hose only on the water letting flat. Odd thing, your research photos are correct! So is this a factory issue? https://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=209#res 

I look forward to favourable reply from Hatton's Dave, as this needs assuring you shall correct. 

1946935446_Screenshot2019-03-22at18_37_42.png.87aa87c5f8ce3006e04012c1d08baa42.png

IMG_2118.JPG.3e135368cd1b59f0a584de3d445c60a2.JPG

Evidence: 

IMG_4059.jpg.4f0db3fbc8905963810f271df8dc6406.jpg

IMG_4057.jpg.08aa9988e312ade2513949c415f02465.jpg

IMG_4067.jpg.8e0596f950d4ac1a0affc018813b5042.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg.3f977aca7079a94c91cb4f39abb39a55.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

Received mine yesterday and while wasn’t over taken with the factory weathering it does look better in person and there are subtle differences in the weathering if you work your way along the formation of the modules are fitted as they come out of the packaging. Some photos below. Currently layoutless so dinner table is a stand in. Overall lovely detailed model and pleased with it

826668B8-3048-455E-B086-AC47B9D013E8.jpeg

A91EDE98-F528-46FE-A0B6-2BD634615BC2.jpeg

86E4D7DB-65FA-419B-969A-DA9A06A0E173.jpeg

• Like 1

They are great models......

I too had some parts dislodged in transit and a couple of wobbly buffers too. All fixed now though.

You do have to be careful handling them though due to the fine detail parts.

Anyone having trouble getting the modules to sit properly on the flats?

4 hours ago, KDG said:

They are great models......

I too had some parts dislodged in transit and a couple of wobbly buffers too. All fixed now though.

You do have to be careful handling them though due to the fine detail parts.

Anyone having trouble getting the modules to sit properly on the flats?

Received mine just after lunch, thankfully no dislodged parts and they look fine (non weathered sandite). It did take a while to get the modules to sit right, but all is good now. Agreed you have to very careful how they are handled.

I would also have to agree with the observations of 159220.

Edited by dave56

Thanks to the above tip off I carefully checked over my RHTT models received today.

All had at least one detached buffer head which are easy to re-attach IF they are in the box (I have one missing completely). I also have one buffer & shank snapped off and various bent handbrake arms etc., so they are on their way back to Widnes for hopefully undamaged replacements.

• RMweb Gold

Received my set with extra water wagon and all in perfect condition. Extremely detailed and heavy. Really pleased with them and can’t wait to run them in Badgers Cross soon.

Well done Hattons.

• Like 1

Got my full set of weathered ones today and I'm happy with then. All tankers have a slightly different weathered look and will do me.

I think the "to have or not to have" weathered ones is one off those Marmite moments, It's down to what you want and while I'm on the subject of want, how about some modules (hint hint Hatton's)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave, 

I pre-ordered three RHTT sets last Wednesday and they arrived last Friday. Upon receiving the parcel I noticed that one end of the box was open and then upon inspection of the top of the box their were only two thin strips of normal tape sealing the box. Least to say that it was not a positive way to receive a parcel that contained £354 worth of goods. Upon opening the outer box two of the RHTT box sleeves were undone and open, which again means that the order wasn't secure at all for postage/transit. All I can say is thank goodness that their hasn't been much rain/snow recently otherwise a very expensive order would have been water damaged before I even received it. 

Now onto the RHTTs themselves. Three out of the six wagons are damaged. By damaged I mean that the white wheels on the side of the wagons are significantly bent and simply can't just be pushed back into their normal straight position. Thankfully the other three wagons are ok and all couplings, buffers and other detailing has arrived intact on all of the six wagons, otherwise this would have lead to further upset and disappointment. But the fact still stands that three out of six wagons are damaged and it's not something that I can fix. What is also annoying and makes the situation worse is that these wagons were very expensive at £354 for six! I usually wouldn't spend that amount of money on so little quantity of goods but because these are the RHTTs and I have a wealth of locos to run with them I made an exception. 

Upon looking back at the original announcement several of the selling points of the RHTT wagons were around detail. But it seems as though myself and others have received the wagons with detailing that has snapped off or it bent/damaged. I will keep the wagons how they are now and when they are on the layout the bent detailing will hopefully be less noticeable although this does question your ability to produce highly detailed models. I was going to buy eight of your newly announced Class 66 models when they arrive in August but I have to say that after this experience and considering that others have had similar experiences as referenced above, I will not be buying any of your Class 66 models. It does not seem logical for me to spend more money on newly tooled, highly detailed models which have been produced by yourselves if you cannot fulfil the promise of the detailing actually been fitted correctly to the models that you are offering when they arrive with customers. I would rather buy Class 66 models from other manufacturers knowing that they have produced many Class 66 models in the past that yes have less detailing, but the detailing that has been fitted remains correctly applied when the models arrive with me. I am really disappointed and unfortunately I will not be able to buy any of your products until issues such as manufacturing and selling damaged goods has been rectified. 

This is a real shame because overall the RHTT sets are really nice wagons and are going to look brilliant with a variety of locos. But as a manufacturer you can't make promises regarding models been highly detailed unless the detailing is fitted correctly and it remains fitted upon arrival with customers. I would suggest that you speak with the factory regarding QC as clearly several customers have received damaged goods and it isn't just me in this situation. 

I look forward to your reply. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Agree 1

Received my RHTT today; they are very finely detailed models, and well packaged. But such a high level of detail means that there are plenty of separately fitted fragile parts - and I have spent the best part of an hour today trying to re-attach just one of the parts in the photo. I’m afraid my eyesight is not what it used to be and even with tweezers and magnification I failed. This is becoming a recurring problem for me as the standard of fine detail improves. And it’s not just Hattons and the RHTT, I’ve had a similar difficulty recently with a different manufacturers finely detailed product. 

54E62D0C-10E0-4EF3-A3E9-21BA9058560F.jpeg

You should send them back for a full refund including postage. It’s a real shame because you were looking forward to these models and it’s damned annoying when this happens. The product should arrive intact anything less is far from satisfactory. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Wagons arrived today, with a few pieces rattling around in the box, but if we want more and more fine detail its the risk we take when we rely of postal services for delivery!

Overall very pleased , a good weighty model and lots of detail

DSCF3614.jpg.6170d3c6bcbb75c6797096391ed0f52a.jpgDSCF3628.jpg.db38b063495c90d56f09db5e5966a9c5.jpg

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Brambles said:

Received my RHTT today; they are very finely detailed models, and well packaged. But such a high level of detail means that there are plenty of separately fitted fragile parts - and I have spent the best part of an hour today trying to re-attach just one of the parts in the photo. I’m afraid my eyesight is not what it used to be and even with tweezers and magnification I failed. This is becoming a recurring problem for me as the standard of fine detail improves. And it’s not just Hattons and the RHTT, I’ve had a similar difficulty recently with a different manufacturers finely detailed product. 

54E62D0C-10E0-4EF3-A3E9-21BA9058560F.jpeg

That is the same bits that have come off both of my wagons - are they from the bogies?  Everything else OK apart from a loose pipe which will be easily fixed.

M

1 hour ago, Brambles said:

Yes Matt, off the bogies. Still haven’t managed to re-attach them. I’m getting too old for this!

It is easier to glue these bits back on if you first unscrew the bogie from the deck.  The bar obscuring the screw is flexible enough to get a small screwdriver past without having to remove it.

Best wishes

Roddy

• Thanks 1