Rail Head Treatment Train (RHTT) in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Jeez, send them back if they are broken and don’t rely on an rmweb thread for a response. Hattons is a big company with good customer service - they’ll sort it I’m sure.

and “ do some modelling “. Modelling isn’t correcting factory mistakes or transit damage.  

• Agree 3

Hi everyone, 

I am looking forward to getting my set of 3 water jetting wagons next week when my mum comes up. My thanks to John and Shelagh at Crafty Hobbies in Barrow for ordering them in for me for her to collect. Great that Hattons will supply there products to local model shops. 

I can understand the disappointment for a few that have had damaged parts - it’s going to happen on super detailed models. I would suggest it better to email Hattons directly with any issues so they can offer a solution instead of ranting on here. Any good retailer will sort you out and offer free returns to replace if necessary and I suspect the number of issues will be a tiny percentage  of the overall production run. 

Thanks

Mark

I bought 2 sets and both sets had a slight problem. the part on the bogie the same as Brambles highlighted  was loose and in the box on one set easy fix.

Unfortunately it is missing completely on the second set and not in the box so must of been detached at factory.

I hope Hattons carry some spares as I would happily fit it back on instead of having to send the whole wagon back to Hattons.

Baz

I bought a weathered 'Sandite' set from Cheltenham Models, while staying in Gloucestershire last week. What a lovely shop and so friendly.

I had loose parts in each box, luckily these were largish parts, two buffers and an air tank. The air tank was an easy fix as it just plugged back into it's locating tab and a touch of 'MekPak' secured it.

The buffers were not so easy. One had broken at the buffer beam, leaving the locating lug within the buffer beam. I drilled a hole in the buffer shank and the buffer beam using a pin vice drill and used plastic rod to make a new peg. The second buffer had broken mid way down the buffer shank, leaving half the shank secured in the buffer beam and half attached to the buffer. Again I drilled out both, and made a new peg from plastic rod. All now secure.

I came to the conclusion that the damage to the buffers, particularly the one where the shank had fractured in half, was unlikely to be from movement in the tray, as there is insufficient play for anything to put pressure on the buffer. As the buffer parts are in the blister pack, that seems to rule out an assembly issue, so more likely to be rough handling when putting the model into the pack. Due to the amount of fine added parts for the Railhead Treatment versions, it is a difficult model to handle, without risking damage to the fine detail, so possibly that caused the damage during packing.

Edited by rembrow
  • Agree 3

My 3 wagons - Sandite Pair plus additional water tank wagon, have arrived. No damage whatsoever!!

Have to say they were very well packaged by Hattons.

Opened them all very carefully just in case anything had come adrift or was broken but all OK and where it should be. As commented on already, the tray/blister pack the wagons are held in are quite secure, so difficult to say or see how the damaged ones are occurring :unsure:

On 31/03/2019 at 23:41, bazil31 said:

I bought 2 sets and both sets had a slight problem. the part on the bogie the same as Brambles highlighted  was loose and in the box on one set easy fix.

Unfortunately it is missing completely on the second set and not in the box so must of been detached at factory.

I hope Hattons carry some spares as I would happily fit it back on instead of having to send the whole wagon back to Hattons.

Baz

Mine have arrived here in deepest Tasmania with the obligatory (it seems) rail head spray nozzles (the small black parts pictured earlier) bouncing around in box. As these are a key part of the wagons rather than some obscure piece of underframe, I will refit them myself as no doubt others have done. 

My question is, does anybody know the correct prototypical placement of these?  i.e. Are the water heads fitted to just one bogie of each wagon, on one end of bogie, or one side on each bogie etc?  I have three loose parts, two which are clearly water nozzles (with silver tips) and one which looks like a plain guard iron.

Also, as I have the two wagon water jet module with one of the wagons with the yellow piping on underframe

whic modules should go with which wagon? Hattons photos seem to suggest sitting the three water tanks on the wagon with yellow piping, while the two tanks with control module in middle are sitting on the other. Prototype photos I have perused so far dont establish this clearly.

any ideas appreciated

All water nozzles glued back on mine.

Obviously I can see that each wagon has only one spraying bogie. 

was just asking about prototype set up. I.e. do the spraying bogies on my water jet twin pack run back to back or at opposite ends of the train, or maybe it doesnt matter.

Hoping someone has knowledge of the real thing.

On 28/03/2019 at 21:57, KDG said:

Need to try the waterjet set with a pair of Hornby gbrf 73s.....

Ah well, finally found the 2 gbrf class 73's, swapped the chassis over on one as somehow it had a Lima chassis, it now has a Hornby DCC chassis, and it ran and looked great. There's so much weight in the wagons that they hold the track really well, even with both locos powered top and tail stylee.  Even coped with a slight mismatch in speed of locos and occasions where one loco temporarily lost power due to dirty track etc.

Had to slow right down on the entrance to the yard to cope with a small radius point, but I guess that's prototypical.

Edited by KDG
Smelling pistakes x 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Whilst we don't have any firm plans to re-run these immediately we will of course keep an eye on remaining stock levels and decide if another run would be viable.

We'll be sure to keep you updated if there is any news in this regard.

Cheers,

Dave

On 13/05/2019 at 13:27, Steadfast said:

And if they're that popular, the RHTT would be great to see shrunken to N! (Without sounding like a wishlist!)

Jo

I agree, an N gauge version would be excellent.

Also thinking about a O gauge version. Just imagine all that detail ???

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was happy to read in Rail Express Modeller that this has been noted. It would be grown up and respected of Hatton's (Dave) to confirm the FEA-F shall be correct for a future batch. Very odd that Hattons have not acknowledged they got this wrong. Makes me worry for the class 66. 

Screenshot 2019-03-22 at 18.37.42.png

Edited by 159220
  • Agree 4

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Shoey said:

Second batch has been announced today. Hopefully the discrepancies in the first batch have been addressed.

Doubt anything has changed, it's just a rerun of a successfully selling model.

Now if only they could do another run of the modern Warwell now Oxford have led us astray with theirs...

• Agree 1

On 25/05/2019 at 11:35, 159220 said:

I was happy to read in Rail Express Modeller that this has been noted. It would be grown up and respected of Hatton's (Dave) to confirm the FEA-F shall be correct for a future batch. Very odd that Hattons have not acknowledged they got this wrong. Makes me worry for the class 66. 

Screenshot 2019-03-22 at 18.37.42.png

I read somewhere the weathered versions were actually correct, probably in this thread.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump this topic, but I have bought the RHTT in the latest sale. It strikes me that the loads fall off very easily, so I was wondering how people have attached the loads to the wagons - has anyone superglued them?

Any advice/insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.