Rail Head Treatment Train (RHTT) in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

3 hours ago, IamDaniel said:

Sorry to bump this topic, but I have bought the RHTT in the latest sale. It strikes me that the loads fall off very easily, so I was wondering how people have attached the loads to the wagons - has anyone superglued them?

I’ve noticed the modules from a set I bought didn’t want to stay put, the modules are very light so don’t have much weight holding them in place. BluTack sounds a great option - I’d originally thought of some thin (0.1mm ish) wire twisted around the module frames and the wagon 'spine', although I’ve yet to try this as my wagons have stayed in their boxes so far...

Jack. 

• RMweb Premium

IIRC, the modules clip to the wagon.......

(But they are a bit fiddly to fix)

Can't check as my set is a few miles away.

TBH - glueing them on isn't a problem as they're unlikely to be swapped around.

Especially when weathered, as there is a distinct pattern outwards from the jetting head and all the modules are subtly different in the dirt patterns.

Edited by newbryford

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/11/2020 at 16:02, newbryford said:

IIRC, the modules clip to the wagon.......

(But they are a bit fiddly to fix)

Can't check as my set is a few miles away.

TBH - glueing them on isn't a problem as they're unlikely to be swapped around.

Especially when weathered, as there is a distinct pattern outwards from the jetting head and all the modules are subtly different in the dirt patterns.

Just taken my set out of the box after arriving a few days ago. A couple of the bogie spray heads loose in the box but easy to glue into place and the rest have had a bit of glue added to make sure that they don't come loose. Also a few loose buffers so the same has been done to them and a general check of other fragile bits. The outer containers  clip well into place but the central ones are a bit loose so they have been glues in place as thats where I am likely to pick them up forgetting that they could be loose - its a long way down to the floor from the high level test circuit.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for bumping this thread again, but I've rececently got my original release weathered pack out and been servicing it (back-to-back checks, and cleaning wheels). I've noticed the weathering has been applied with wheels in situ. Luckily, my track cleaning stuff from Slaters cleaned the wheels up nicely. This raised a question...

Has anyone attempted at cleaning up their weathered wagons? Obviously the RHTT is a filthy train, but has anyone tidied it up to make it look a bit cleaner? The weathering seems to come off easily with some cotton buds and IPA-based stuff.

Here's a picture of the North Wales circuit 3S71 passing through Conwy.

image.png.972e53de4f80d817923eb9e728a08b8a.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 28/01/2021 at 09:46, JackB95 said:

Has anyone attempted at cleaning up their weathered wagons? Obviously the RHTT is a filthy train, but has anyone tidied it up to make it look a bit cleaner? The weathering seems to come off easily with some cotton buds and IPA-based stuff.

Here's a picture of the North Wales circuit 3S71 passing through Conwy.

Hi Jack

Good to see you've got the RHTT out again, even if it is a bit late for the leaves!

If you are removing the weathering with an IPA based solvent, please be very careful as the underlying printing and paint can be taken off with this as well. If you are very careful and use it sparingly then it can take the weathering off but it's not something we would recommend.

I saw your layout on a Facebook group over the weekend, the Conwy Castle gateway is looking great, instantly recognisable. As this is one of my favourite lines, I will be following it closely.

Cheers

Dave

12 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi Jack

Good to see you've got the RHTT out again, even if it is a bit late for the leaves!

If you are removing the weathering with an IPA based solvent, please be very careful as the underlying printing and paint can be taken off with this as well. If you are very careful and use it sparingly then it can take the weathering off but it's not something we would recommend.

I saw your layout on a Facebook group over the weekend, the Conwy Castle gateway is looking great, instantly recognisable. As this is one of my favourite lines, I will be following it closely.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks very much Dave. Didn't really consider the paint job underneath! There's a reason why I do my research first. Screwed myself over too many times by not checking stuff out. 

Many thanks for your kind words! I grew up near Conwy so it's kind of a little home from home here in Yorkshire. 

• 1 year later...