Rail Head Treatment Train (RHTT) in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Hi all,

Quite a few people seem to have found the "Classic Traction" formation list to be quite interesting and useful so I've put together a version showing some more "Modern Traction".

attachicon.gifFormation diagrams RHTT part 2-01.png

This isn't a complete list but should give a good idea of what you're likely to see around the network during leaf fall season.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave or Anyone,

Just wanted to find out how you create those graphical train formations that you publish on your website & here on RMWEB i.e. your recent RHTT formations and others found in modelling magazines.

Is there specific software to do this which is available to the public?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by classy52

The train formations show why these models should be very popular.

One class 20 haul not mentioned was the one year EWS had the contract for the North East and operated 20s in the triple grey livery http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brclass20/e3cbeb08f

The means of fuelling the 20s was also noteworthy (and modellable) http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/road/e2bb3da71

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only problem is the sound file includes the mpv too, you'd only need the generator and water sounds. I'd say a 66 or loco of choice file with a water jet add on would be better. Something to suggest to Biff now? ;)

I think I'll go for lightly weathered so the 66's don't need to be totally brown ;)

To that end how heavy is the weathering you are offering going to be Dave?

From observation, anyone going for the heavily "weathered" option will need their 66s done in a specific RHTT style - medium at outer ends and almost obliterated at the inner.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Guest eddie reffin

Pre-ordered a set myself. The real version running out of Inverness has a single 67 (007 pretty much solidly for last two seasons) so will be a very model-able train. Given the costs and effort to kit build this, the price is very good indeed. Congratulations to Hattons for this release  

• RMweb Premium

Pre-ordered a set myself. The real version running out of Inverness has a single 67 (007 pretty much solidly for last two seasons) so will be a very model-able train. Given the costs and effort to kit build this, the price is very good indeed. Congratulations to Hattons for this release  

Ah good. I didn't think I'd imagined a non top-and-tailed set running in Scotland...

I'll be pre-ordering one of these once I've ascertained which one would be most suited to a central Scottish layout in the fall of 2007.  I think that DRS may have operated the Scottish RHTT trains that year, but I'm not sure.  One question though, what factors determine whether or not sandite is used?  That is, I'm assuming that some circuits use sandite, whilst others just use water jets, which explains the two different twin wagon packs.

I'm tempted by the option of a heavily weathered set (a bit more than the Hatton's version), but the only issue is that it effectively means dedicating two locomotives to this one train, as I've never seen such filthy locomotives on any other service.  As such, I suspect that it will have to be a lightly weathered look from the start of the circuit so that I don't have to commit two locomotives to a train which should only make an occasional appearance.  It is however good to know that a single locomotive set is not unknown.

Guest eddie reffin

One of the benefits of doing our current IS version is that due to no loco on the rear, 67007 has remained fairly clean each year. Same can’t be said for the wagons though. The set on 3S95 ( the IS one) is a water jet one so doesn’t have the Sandite module on it.

IIRC, around the early to mid 2000s we had TnT DRS 66s on the circuit. Remember seeing 412/413 on it regularly. It’s been EWS/DB for a good few years now.

• RMweb Premium

I'm tempted by the option of a heavily weathered set (a bit more than the Hatton's version), but the only issue is that it effectively means dedicating two locomotives to this one train, as I've never seen such filthy locomotives on any other service. As such, I suspect that it will have to be a lightly weathered look from the start of the circuit so that I don't have to commit two locomotives to a train which should only make an occasional appearance. It is however good to know that a single locomotive set is not unknown.

Given just how filthy the locos get, you could always buy cheap double ups of locos you already have, and weather them so much that you can’t see their numbers, as I have seen in photos of the RHTT.

• RMweb Premium

Well, erm yes! But that is a given with any model surely, so why point it out I wonder? 

You've got me there.

And why "1 wheel insulated" but not both, unless there are plans for electrical pickup from the axle for something?

Presumably because only one needs to be.

But it does seem a rather odd thing to say.

• RMweb Gold

Given just how filthy the locos get, you could always buy cheap double ups of locos you already have, and weather them so much that you can’t see their numbers, as I have seen in photos of the RHTT.

They don’t get that dirty!

Image1443.jpg

Well ok, maybe they do, that’s 67001 back in 2009 in toton

• Like 1

At least with that loco, you can see the EWS livery almost clearly. This one could be bright pink and we’d never know. Found on a YouTube video.

attachicon.gifCB51CF66-3C75-4B41-B5D9-C3E9166B934F.jpeg

Didn't anyone realise that's Bachmann's brand new re-tooled Class 66 EP sample, they're just doing them life size now and touring around the UK to show it off...btw there's a lounge inside of it :boast:

It is worth mentioning perhaps that prior to leafbusting season starting proper, traction of various flavours will pick up the entire allocation of sets for an area from York and convey them to the various area bases.

For example, a single DRS 66 will pick up all the wagons for Stowmarket and a Colas 56 (last two years) for Gloucester.

Just a thought for those that prefer lengthier consists. Not to mention the shunting opportunities, which at Stowmarket is really something to get the pairs of locos onto the split up sets!

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T
  • Thanks 1

They also appear in Network Rail infrastructure trips between yards such as Westbury, Bescot, Eastleigh, Hinksey, Hoo, Crewe, Whitemoor etc to get them in position, mixed in with the usual mix of Falcons, Autoballasters, Salmon, Coalfish etc

Traction could be 66s from DB, Freightliner, DRS, GBRf or Colas, a Colas 70, or a DB 60 or 67 sometimes appears on the Toton trips. I believe 68s and 37s can turn up on the DRS hauled trips too.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

minimum radius ?  scale length ?. Have a 4x8 train set layout  and would love to have these on my layout. 

The Hattons website states that they will negotiate Radius 2 curves.  See Model Specification at https://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=209

I assume that the wagons will be scale length, as that's what's expected in the current market, but I can't see any issues with having a set on a 4x8 layout - just pick your formation from the many examples on the Hattons website.

The option I think I'll be taking on is the three water tanks and a railtrack guv can't remember the classification right now seen in 2003 around Bradford Wakefield areas

David

Hi David,

My recollection of these on Teesside is that they were KFA wagons rather than FEA. They had yellow bogies. Must dig out my pictures.

Here’s a couple from Flickr:

https://flic.kr/p/yDYfqN

https://flic.kr/p/QDfQzY

I’ve played with 3D printing (my first ever project) to produce some plug-ins for the GUV windows. They were ok but need revising to improve accuracy.

I’ve also got a Hornby KFA to explore the conversion to the appropriate diagram but again that’s a bit of a compromise.

Many thanks

Alan

Edited to add the pic links

Edited by freightliner_bond_57007
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Here are the CADs for the RHTT wagons.  As ever, head over to our website for more images and bigger versions.  They can be found here.

post-28458-0-86865400-1514477368_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-06659300-1514477378_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-13151200-1514477387_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-73986500-1514477395_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-34960200-1514477425_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-61277700-1514477436_thumb.jpg

Let us know what you think.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 9