Bachmann at Warley 2017

it's-er

Yes, I drove over there on the Sunday (I made the mistake of going on a Saturday the first year I went to Warley ... never again!). 

In which case I apologise unreservedly for making the erroneous assumption so it's just a case of losing a sense of proportion. Anyway the best bits of the collector's club are the quality of the mag and the calendar but you won't see those either.

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of travel costs, my dad can beat that - bus to Coventry station, free with his bus pass, train to International, again free with his bus pass, walk to the NEC. Sandwiches for lunch, and a flask of coffee!

A man very truly after my own heart. Well done, Sir!

• Like 1

This wasn’t the case. Please read the thread and my comments.

It may not be the case from your personal perspective, however it certainly is from mine and the fact that some people clearly agree suggests my point is as equally valid as your own or anyone else's.  

Thank you

• RMweb Premium

I will declare an interest.  I am a member of the Collectors Club.  I joined several years ago in order to buy one of their models.  Since that time I had not been able to take advantage of the lounge or any members' days until Warley 2017*.  Dispite this I have remained a member - as AndyY has said the calendar and magazine are good value for your membership.

The items visible from the lounge but not visible to the general public were almost exclusively pre-production versions.  Much has been made about how important it is to some non-members to see such versions.  Just ask yourself, how many pre-production models did you see on the Hornby stand?  

Personally I enjoyed the relative peace and quiet for 10 minutes while enjoying looking at the models - most of which were also visible from the other side of the display case by all and sundry.  

If having a small area of peace for which I have had to pay sounds elitist, then so be it. 

As others have already posted, if seeing pre-production models is so important, then join the club.  It will probably cost less than one good night out - and lasts all year.

*and for me no low cost airline (well Flybe does sometimes claim they are but their prices say something different) nor friend or relative to stay with.  One reason why this is the first UK exhibition I have attended this century.

• Like 2

Just ask yourself, how many pre-production models did you see on the Hornby stand? 

Is that really the question you'll ask with regards to joining a club? Hornby had "PRODUCTION" samples on their stand. Bachmann had lots to show because they had lots to catch up on. Hornby don't need to catch up on announced models. 

Is that really the question you'll ask with regards to joining a club? Hornby had "PRODUCTION" samples on their stand. Bachmann had lots to show because they had lots to catch up on. Hornby don't need to catch up on announced models. 

That's maybe because Hornby cancelled a load of announced models last year.

That's maybe because Hornby cancelled a load of announced models last year.

We're talking about newly announced models i.e. re-tools and new-tools. Not general releases of existing products. And AFAIK Hornby didn't cancel anything new. They cancelled a few other re-liveries

Edited by MGR Hooper!

If having a small area of peace for which I have had to pay sounds elitist, then so be it.

Quite frankly, yes it does a little.  From some of the interactions I overheard between one or two members and the Bachmann 'bouncers' it all sounded quite stomach-churning to be absolutely honest.

As others have already posted, if seeing pre-production models is so important, then join the club.  It will probably cost less than one good night out - and lasts all year.

That's fine, but sadly calendars aren't my thing, and neither are random 'club' wagons that have no significance to anything I am modelling - to me the appeal of this kind of merchandise is about on par with the contents of your average Christmas cracker.  And unfortunately, rarely has there been a club model that has interested me enough for purchase.  So aside from an annual and potentially cringe-worthy interaction over a bottle of Evian in the 'elite suite', I'm not sure it represents great value.  But hey, that's just my opinion.  :music:

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1

Quite frankly, yes it does a little.  From some of the interactions I overheard between one or two members and the Bachmann 'bouncers' it all sounded quite stomach-churning to be absolutely honest.

That's fine, but sadly calendars aren't my thing, and neither are random 'club' wagons that have no significance to anything I am modelling - to me the appeal of this kind of merchandise is about on par with the contents of your average Christmas cracker.  And unfortunately, rarely has there been a club model that has interested me enough for purchase.  So aside from an annual and potentially cringe-worthy interaction over a bottle of Evian in the 'elite suite', I'm not sure it represents great value.  But hey, that's just my opinion.  :music:

But you forgot to mention the quite good quarterly magazine, apart from that I end up selling the collector wagon on ebay to someone who really wants it and get nearly half my membership back and yes agree in regards to the collector club models but I did purchase the WCR 37 & Coaches set which was a bargain too be honest compared to what's out there today and their prices.

Again, couldn't give a rats about the Bachmann Lounge at exhibitions but overall the Bachmann Club is still worth it and Hornby/Dapol should follow their lead when it comes to collector club memberships.

Btw I suppose you couldn't give some feedback on those overheard stomach churning conversions, just out of curiosity and a laugh :sarcastic:

Obviously there are many ways of saying "Bah, it's not fair".  Can we draw a curtain over this RTR fanboy talk now?   :smoke:

Oh, I wonder if that could have been me?

On leaving the “lounge”, after quaffing a few glasses of Bachmann’s finest Krug and scoffing the delicious canopes on offer, I did happen to comment to the Bachmann chaps about the herd of stench ridden bottom feeders, pushing their wide eyed faces up to the show case windows.

A scene reminiscent of a Dickensian tale of poor children, sweet shops and Christmas.

I asked if something could be done about the poor undeserving wretches at future events.

Naturally, a humane option would be preferable.

....That's fine, but sadly calendars aren't my thing, and neither are random 'club' wagons that have no significance to anything I am modelling - to me the appeal of this kind of merchandise is about on par with the contents of your average Christmas cracker.  And unfortunately, rarely has there been a club model that has interested me enough for purchase.  So aside from an annual and potentially cringe-worthy interaction over a bottle of Evian in the 'elite suite', I'm not sure it represents great value.  But hey, that's just my opinion.  :music:

But you forgot to mention the quite good quarterly magazine, apart from that I end up selling the collector wagon on ebay to someone who really wants it and get nearly half my membership back and yes agree in regards to the collector club models but I did purchase the WCR 37 & Coaches set which was a bargain too be honest compared to what's out there today and their prices.

Again, couldn't give a rats about the Bachmann Lounge at exhibitions but overall the Bachmann Club is still worth it and Hornby/Dapol should follow their lead when it comes to collector club memberships.

I agree with classy52.

Far from "the contents of your average Christmas cracker", what Bachmann supplies in return for a few shekels, is of very decent quality.

The magazine has developed over the years to be a very good read, with several well researched and well presented articles in each edition.

Putting a nominal value on each copy....off the top of my head, say £2.50 for argument's sake...that would be £10 p.a.

The annual catalogue is also delivered to members, on publication. That is currently worth £8 p.a.

Similar models in the range, to the members club wagon, are priced at around £14 +

Then there's the very good quality calendar (I only want it for the superb illustrations), which must be worth £9 or £10 when compared to good quality High St. equivalents.

That's over £40's worth of stuff.

If any of the member's club limited edition models take your fancy, that's a bonus.

They also hold annual member's days, for those who can get to them, along with discounts on some exhibition and heritage event ticket bookings.

The annual fee for a UK single scale membership is currently £29.

For me, personally, the wagon is of no use as it's always from way outside of my modern era sphere of interest (I have 15 years worth of these if anyone is interested ££££), but at least it's of tangible value.

(p.s. I'd rather they gave me the choice......say a free SWT Class 450 or a full set of Autoballasters instead !!!!!! )

I've only really wanted one members club limited edition model and I missed that through dithering and then forgetting to make a decision, before it rapidly sold out.

So it goes....

Still, I think membership is worth the annual fee. A fee that is miniscule if compared with many other things (e.g. sports or music event tickets, lunch for two, a computer game, a monthly mobile contract etc,).

As for the Member's Lounge...

For those who cannot enter, or who don't want to join....

There's nothing in there.

A few EP's or decorated samples.

A close up look through the inside window of the same outside display cases that the general public can view.

A working demo of the Dynamis RailController software, using a mini N gauge layout.

A video screen (this year - class 158 renderings).

A free bottle of water.

Plus two or three of Bachmann's finest henchmen, just in case any members get out of control with excitement, or threaten violence if they spot a missing rivet.

Really, you didn't miss anything.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 2

Obviously there are many ways of saying "Bah, it's not fair".  Can we draw a curtain over this RTR fanboy talk now?   :smoke:

If I'm not mistaken the topic is titled "Bachmann at Warley 2017", which are exactly what my comments relate to - a tad difficult to make any other smalltalk regarding Bachmann and Warley 2017, simply because unless you were a 'member', well, there wasn't a lot to see!  I'm not having a pop at anyone personally, or being insulting, instead I am airing my viewpoint, nothing more, nothing less.  I thought that's what public forums were for?  With respect, no one is forcing you to read it.

And on that note, as they say... "I'm out".

Edited by YesTor

I will declare an interest.  I am a member of the Collectors Club.  I joined several years ago in order to buy one of their models.  Since that time I had not been able to take advantage of the lounge or any members' days until Warley 2017*.  Dispite this I have remained a member - as AndyY has said the calendar and magazine are good value for your membership.

I'm in the same position - just a bit far to come to Warley or member's days.  But I still see the club as good value just for the models, mag and catalogue.

• Administrators

As for the Member's Lounge...

For those who cannot enter, or who don't want to join....

There's nothing in there.

A few EP's or decorated samples.

A close up look through the inside window of the same outside display cases that the general public can view.

A working demo of the Dynamis RailController software, using a mini N gauge layout.

A video screen (this year - class 158 renderings).

A free bottle of water.

Plus two or three of Bachmann's finest henchmen, just in case any members get out of control with excitement, or threaten violence if they spot a missing rivet.

Really, you didn't miss anything.

Those "henchmen" include the guys developing the products. Should you want to have a chat with them to ask all those pressing questions about the 158 etc. then you can. Privileged access to the design team at a show and other events is a small part of the club benefits. They are nice guys and in the relaxed lounge will be happy to chat - not practical in the melee of the hall. You then get to post your insider knowledge on here...

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken the topic is titled "Bachmann at Warley 2017", which are exactly what my comments relate to - a tad difficult to make any other smalltalk regarding Bachmann and Warley 2017, simply because unless you were a 'member', well, there wasn't a lot to see!  I'm not having a pop at anyone personally, or being insulting, instead I am airing my viewpoint, nothing more, nothing less.  I thought that's what public forums were for?  With respect, no one is forcing you to read it.

And on that note, as they say... "I'm out".

Unless you were a 'member' there wasn't a lot to see ? That's odd, I would have sworn that all around Bachmann's large display area there were glass cases showing train models in N, HO and OO gauges, plus buildings, plus buses, and not forgetting Woodland Scenics.

Anyway, I have found a way to finance my purchases at Warley next year; I will stand near the Bachmann stand and offer to lend my Collectors Club card to any of the downtrodden masses (ie non-members) wanting into the inner sanctum, for a suitable fee of course.

BTW, I agree that the cost of membership is well worth; Even though the annual wagon is unsuitable for me, the magazines and catalogue delivered to my door justify the expense, for me anyway.

• Like 2

Unless you were a 'member' there wasn't a lot to see ? That's odd, I would have sworn that all around Bachmann's large display area there were glass cases showing train models in N, HO and OO gauges, plus buildings, plus buses, and not forgetting Woodland Scenics.

"Unless you were a 'member' there wasn't a lot to see?" 

Oh come along chap, where have you been, keep up with the plan... certainly no new models that's for sure.  Lots to see of all the models we have seen time and time again, essentially reliveries of old models... 47s, 37s, 66s...  stuff we have seen year in and year out.  Okay fine if that floats your boat, but hardly awe-inspiring.

BTW, I agree that the cost of membership is well worth; Even though the annual wagon is unsuitable for me, the magazines and catalogue delivered to my door justify the expense, for me anyway.

Good for you!  :jester:

Anyhow, I am sensing that you are simply out to mock as opposed to engage in a reasonable conversation, so I will kindly leave you to it.  Good evening.

Edited by YesTor