Coopercraft and Slaters et al

I hobby (can I use that as a verb?) outside the mainstream, so I'm not always up with the news. But things seem to have ground to a halt with Coopercraft. The website is still there, you can make orders, but nothing happens, and the order sits in abeyance. Emails and other web-based enquiries are not replied to. From what I've gleaned from other posts (from about 2 years ago), the outfit is in, err, difficulties. Does anyone have an update? Can we expect those kits to reappear? 

• RMweb Premium

Given the title of this thread, it should be pointed out that Slater's Plastikard is alive and well at 7 mm scale and above and quite separate from Coopercraft. It's only their former 4 mm range that is affected by the Coopercraft debacle; however some of the wagon kits are available from POWSides.

I have no connection with any of these other than as a satisfied customer - that is to say, I've never placed an order via the Coopercraft website, confining myself to mopping up Midland carriage components at ExpoEM.

• Like 3

Firstly, DON'T attempt to make a purchase.

Secondly read this thread. Just the last couple of pages should give you an idea that this range is probably dead as a dodo.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112011-coopercraft-its-fate-and-thoughts-on-an-alternative/

Jason

Well, for info, I did make two orders - one at the end of Sept 2017, the other just into Oct (not realising the situation). Both orders still show as pending, awaiting further delivery charge. I notice that the second one (for ~20 quid) has been debited from my account (the day after making the order), the first one (for ~60 quid) has not. Go figure. (And I've received nothing in return.)

My question was really whether the tooling for these kits might be bought up by somebody else - haven't Peco just bought up Parkside? But I guess there is no news further to the links above...

From what I've read, it would take an offer he couldn't refuse from a man with an Italian accent, wearing a dark suit and fedora hat, and carrying a violin case, to effect a transfer of ownership. I doubt if Peco, or any other British model businesses, employ anyone like that. If they did, I suspect customers could have even greater difficulty getting their money back!

My question was really whether the tooling for these kits might be bought up by somebody else - haven't Peco just bought up Parkside? But I guess there is no news further to the links above...

In the last Correspondence I had with Dave White at Slaters about this,  he said about the Slater's 4mm range .... 

....fortunately we have most of the tooling so we can put the range back into production in the future.

Not sure if or when this might happen as I understand there are legal issues involved ... but it does seem hopeful in the mid term.

• Like 3

If Slaters were to reappear as the supplier of these coaches, I think they'd make a lot of sales from both the pent up demand and from those of us who would buy more than our immediate needs to avoid the risk of another supply outage.

And if they got hold of the Coopercraft kits too, like they did with the O gauge ones....

• Like 2

If Slaters were to reappear as the supplier of these coaches, I think they'd make a lot of sales from both the pent up demand and from those of us who would buy more than our immediate needs to avoid the risk of another supply outage.

...not to mention resale on eBay.

• RMweb Gold

My latest information is that if all goes to plan Slaters are hoping to recommence 4mm wagon kit production early in the new year .... so fingers crossed.

That is good news! Wonder if they'll be receptive to replacing the incorrect solebars in my Midland cattle wagon kit. Didn't get anywhere with CC.

Edited by 57xx

A copy of the relevant parts of the e-mail I received from Dave White at Slaters:-

I am not sure that any tooling alterations are in the offing!

Dear Tim,

Yes we are re- introducing the 4mm range, we are having to re order boxes and re do the instruction sheets as they all went to Paul Dunn. ......... so early next year they will be in production again.

Regards

David White

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 11

"Yes we are re- introducing the 4mm range, we are having to re order boxes and re do the instruction sheets as they all went to Paul Dunn."

So should those of us with our old Slaters instruction sheets still around scan them and send them to Slaters to speed things up?

Willing to help to get them back on the market!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Would it be worth suggesting that the various pitfalls be pointed out in the revamped instructions - particularly for the Midland 9ft wheelbase wagons, the issue of the solebars and headstocks not ending up in the same plane?

I can't imagine they'd want to modify the moulds for these 40-year-old kits.