Rapido LMS/GWR/BR Gunpowder Vans announced!

Garethp8873

If my experience with the production and delivery of Rapido North American prototype freight cars (see Northern Pacific wood box car) is any indication, it will be and extended wait for these to appear.

These days I don't mind how long it takes. Aslong as it is accurate and done properly I am happy with that...

If Guy didn't build any in Wolverhampton and Daimler didn't build any in Coventry, I don't need any.....   :jester:

OK, OK - I'll stop.

In all seriousness, our 3D prints can't replicate the fine detail that will be on the final model, and these were tossed together by our new young engineer, Ms. Chen, and put in one of the Warley boxes. We weren't even planning to announce them but they looked good enough to do a soft launch. Judging by the response so far at the show, it was a very good decision.

-Jason, several thousand miles from Warley

• Like 2

and these were tossed together by our new young engineer, Ms. Chen, and put in one of the Warley boxes.

Given the thousands of years experience the Chinese have had with Gunpowder I'd have thought Ms Chen would have known better than to be tossing a box about that carries explosive material.

I intend to carry on with mine. After all, what else could I make out of the donor bodies?..........

Crossing keepers hut?

31418394590_56740933f8_b.jpgDSC_3568 by Tanfield Railway, on Flickr

P (Several hundred miles from Warley. Phew!)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

IIRC the panel spacing is one of the features that differentiate the various origins of these vans, so I hope they don't think they can do all of them with one bodyshell. ...

..... The outer panel looks to be wider than the inner, (Never happened as far as I know) but that may be a trick of the light. The other way round, yes, like the last BR builds as in my pic above.

Best wait for a better quality image before we start speculating (Frothing) ...

Some time ago I did quite a bit of faffing about with the Dublo/Dapol GPV which culminated in an article in the Modeller (Jan 2008). I concluded that most vans had equal sized side panels, the last 25 of the last BR built batch had wider inner panels (and a 10' 8 shoe underframe) but I speculated that from photographic evidence it looked like some early LMS vans may have had a wider outer panel. Though I didn't mention it at the time I wondered if this came about as a result of copying the GWR iron mink body style but with squared off ends rather than the rounded ones. This would give the wider outer panels.

Edited by Neil

Essentially we have a promising project which is going to fill a hole in the wagon freaks goodies box.

I am sure that enough people out there will have the knowledge and skills to aid Rapido produce a corker.

I know that the North American outline stuff is highly regarded so...

Just remember that 4mm scale runs on 3 gauges here in the UK

Edited by iak

Essentially we have a promising project which is going to fill a hole in the wagon freaks goodies box.

I am sure that enough people out there will have the knowledge and skills to aid Rapido produce a corker.

I fully agree iak. I've wanted some Gunpowder Vans on my layout for long time but I've not been prepared to use Dapol's examples as I don't like moulded on brakes. Having these will certainly fill part of the hole...

Personally following me seeing Rails/Rapido's LNER Dynamometer Car, the GNR Sterling Single and ModelRail/Rapido's LNER Tram and how stunning they looked, I believe they will do a good job on it. Plus as well having a RCH 10' chassis provides them with the opportunity to look at other wagons... 

No worries there. Most of our 4mm UK products are compatible with 4mm and EM.

-Jason

• Like 1

No worries there. Most of our 4mm UK products are compatible with 4mm and EM.

-Jason

Ah the auld misunderstanding...

Scale is 4mm.

OO = 16.50mm

EM = 18.20mm

P4 = 18.83mm

One scale, 3 gauges and a whole load of silliness. Think of it as chocolate, the OO is tasty milk chocolate whilst P4 is the heavy weight dark chocolate...

• Like 3

Hi Guys

This may seem a daft question but would a gunpowder van be in a pick up goods I can't really see why not but I'm not really sure that a pick up good would go into an explosive factory due to spark although would there be areas where a pickup good would take a wagon so far then a fireless loco would take it where needed

Thanks

Alan

If Guy didn't build any in Wolverhampton and Daimler didn't build any in Coventry, I don't need any..... :jester:

OK, OK - I'll stop.

BCT? Waiting for one, then two arrive together! Love the blue and cream livery with the distinctive coloured roof!

Edited by RCAR6015

I concluded that most vans had equal sized side panels, the last 25 of the last BR built batch had wider inner panels (and a 10' 8 shoe underframe) but I speculated that from photographic evidence it looked like some early LMS vans may have had a wider outer panel.

I thought similar but now don't think so. Looking through all of Mr Bartlett photo's, checking my own negs and checking the published drawings I feel pretty certain the side panels were equal on all of the squared edged ended GP vans. (apart from the last 25)

A few of the photos taken from a slightly oblique angle give the impression the the outer panel is wider. I think this due to the depth of the body side stanchions masking part of the panels. The illusion becomes more pronounced in bright side lighting.

Even in flat lighting, I think the nearest panels in this photo illustrate my point.

post-508-0-22410800-1511740059_thumb.jpg

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/gunpowder-van-7-ton-gunpowder-van-number-147511-london-news-photo/102724928?et=p59wXJs4QPteIwLquFqDGw&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gettyimages.co.uk%2Fdetail%2Fnews-photo%2Fgunpowder-van-7-ton-gunpowder-van-number-147511-london-news-photo%2F102724928%3Fet%3DdLtsv3pVSWhxHBTUTIUyJA%26referrer%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.gettyimages.co.uk%2Fdetail%2Fnews-photo%2Fgunpowder-van-7-ton-gunpowder-van-number-147511-london-news-photo%2F102724928#gunpowder-van-7-ton-gunpowder-van-number-147511-london-north-easter-picture-id102724928

But then again I could be totally wrong...

Hi Guys

This may seem a daft question but would a gunpowder van be in a pick up goods I can't really see why not but I'm not really sure that a pick up good would go into an explosive factory due to spark although would there be areas where a pickup good would take a wagon so far then a fireless loco would take it where needed

Thanks

Alan

They were in the North East. GP vans were unloaded at the bottom of the front garden of my family home from the 1920's to 1950's. Hence my interest. I have an hour and 30 minutes of my late uncle talking about this traffic on audio.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Ah the auld misunderstanding...

Scale is 4mm.

OO = 16.50mm

EM = 18.20mm

P4 = 18.83mm

One scale, 3 gauges and a whole load of silliness. Think of it as chocolate, the OO is tasty milk chocolate whilst P4 is the heavy weight dark chocolate...

Nah - I was the victim of an uncorrected edit. It should have said "Most of our OO UK products" not "4mm UK products." 

But yes, most of our products are compatible with those different gaugish thingies.

I've been a UK outline modeller for a long time - I love the look of P4 models, but no, I will never build my own!

-Jason

• Like 1

That's another set of instructions I won't need to write... C'est la vie. 

post-13847-0-42654000-1511776087_thumb.jpg

There are enigneering drawings for the LMS D2093 version in Official drawings of LMS wagons No.1 by Wild Swan. The panel spacing is the same on these and the BR ones, which as far as I can tell are the same as the LMS ones except for changes in the brakegear. As has been suggested the GWR ones were different and by the look sof it the LNER ones as well.

The wheelbase for these was 9' (apart from the final batch of BR ones built with BR clasp brakes which were 10') not 10' as someone mentioned earlier.

Fun prototypes.

Justin

That's another set of instructions I won't need to write... C'est la vie. 

Justin,

Some might still be interested. I've still got a shed load of Dublo and Wrenn bodies to chop up.

Maybe if you had took to casting buffers there would be less chance of getting usurped.   :wink_mini:

post-508-0-14679500-1511778320_thumb.jpg

P

• Like 1

Maybe if you had took to casting buffers there would be less chance of getting usurped.   :wink_mini:

I might have done had that nice Mr Franks not got there first! I have done axleboxes and springs instead though, but I I doubt they sell in anywhere near the same quantities...

Justin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting thread. It does seem incredible in the current climate that explosives were carried in a normal freight train , clearly marked explosives!

Can someone give details of how these wagons were used? Would they have been included in normal freight trains , were there any restrictions or rules. Like marshal away from Engine etc.

I vaguely remember Wrenn producing gunpowder vans, I think from the original Hornby Dublo Model. They were liveried Standard Fireworks . Would that livery been for real or is it one of the many fictional brightly coloured liveries that Wrenn brought out in the 70s?