Rapido LMS/GWR/BR Gunpowder Vans announced!

Garethp8873

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There used to be a train called the 'Pembrey Paste Traffic'. I would like to know what the wagon rake (plus the locomotive & other wagons ) made up the train.

Ian.

Depends what it was conveying of course.  If it was explosive matter being taken in it might well have been in GPVs (although equally it might not have been as we are almost certainly talking military explosive I presume).  If it was finished bombs,  shells.  or small arms ammunition, coming out it would have been in either sheeted opens (bombs & shells, possibly crated small arms stuff), or vans (small arms stuff and fuses - if the latter were made there).

A point worth noting - military explosives weren't usually moved in GPVs because they were cased, often in very solid metal.  GPVs were used for commercial explosive.

A point worth noting - military explosives weren't usually moved in GPVs because they were cased, often in very solid metal.  GPVs were used for commercial explosive.

The Canadian gunpowder plot thickens....or quickens?

Edited by autocoach

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Rapido had 2 different 3D printed versions on their stand at the Great British Train Show in Toronto this weekend.

Bill Schneider confirmed there would be an LNER version too.

I believe he also said there would be 2 different stantion patterns and 2 different under frames and some other detail differences too across the different versions they would release. Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Direct link to newsletter:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Rapido-News-UK-Vol--16---The-Latest-and-Greatest.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=KyCNDa0Svm4

From newsletter:

OO Gunpowder Van

Sometimes Rapido projects have a way of taking on a life of their own. UK10, Rapido’s OO Gunpowder Van (GPV) is one of them! It was started as a fun and “simple” project some time ago and shared between Gareth and me, mostly because we both wanted some! It would be just a quick and easy little project. Of course, “Simple,“ “Quick” and “Easy” are three words not found in the Rapido Dictionary of Project Design Terminology!

Instead of one “simple” model, we currently have designed two body shells, two underframes and three sets of buffers! This mix-and-match set of components will allow us to accurately model pre-war GWR, LMS, LNER, MOD and almost all of the post-war BR standard versions.

We will be making a formal announcement with livery and pricing details as soon as we each have enough time away from other projects to concentrate on it!

Sounds good!

A quick update on the project in the latest newsletter that Jason has posted http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134355-the-latest-rapido-news/?p=3172792

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I recall a reply on their Facebook page to a question about it that indicated it was progressing slower than initially planned.

Speculation that at this point more will likely be heard at Warley if Rapido attend.

Safe to say though that it is coming given that Jason's last visit to the UK was partially to go through the legal motions to set up a Rapido UK company to allow Rapido to sell their own branded products in the UK.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 19/03/2019 at 13:55, Garethp8873 said:

Any updates on these wagons Rapido?

There was a poster for these displayed on their stand at the York exhibition over the Easter weekend, I should have taken a picture of it.  Perhaps Rapido could post a copy of it here in way of an update?  Only bit of it I can remember is that it said something along the lines of allowing 113 wagons to be modelled.  I may well have that number wrong!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Does this mean ALL UK products are 'paused' and up for grabs ?

There arent actually that many are there ?   I suspect that those through Model Rail Magazine or commissioned by others are still ongoing its just that Rapido have paused selling things in their own right in UK market.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Legend said:

There arent actually that many are there ?   I suspect that those through Model Rail Magazine or commissioned by others are still ongoing its just that Rapido have paused selling things in their own right in UK market.

Agree.  From what I have heard from a couple of sources (but not Rapido) Rapido's currently future planned involvement in British outline model railway items will be limited to commissioned models.  Things might be different in respect of 'buses if their present venture is a success but as far as railways are concerned any 'own label' involvement appears to have come to an end.

But they have two adjacent stands at Warley this weekend so anybody who wants if  from 'the horse's mouth' can no doubt put the question to them there.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Things might be different in respect of 'buses if their present venture is a success but as far as railways are concerned any 'own label' involvement appears to have come to an end.

For the time being!

Rapido have made it crystal clear that the reason they are unable to proceed with the planned expansion into the UK market is all down to B****t uncertainty, which covers everything to concern over future exchange rates, potential for  trade tariffs or other import costs to rise, and the general economic health of the UK which will influence whether Brits have the cash to buy Rapidos high end models.

Its noteworthy that Rapido are continuing to manufacture British RTR items for others - the implication being that the risks outlined above ( 'B****t uncertainty' ) have been transferred to said 3rd parties and thus are no longer a threat to Rapido.

Quite clearly Rapidos primary duty is to safeguard their North American operation and like many other organisations, had the UK voted differently in 2016 then its very likely that Rapido would have gone ahead with their plans for investment in UK related activities - meaning we could well be seeing not just a new Gunpowder van, but also the prototype HST in production by Rapido.

However due to the vote coming down as 'Leave' and the politicians from all parties spending the next 3 years squabbling amongst themselves / putting party interests before the needs of the country, we are where we are - in other words not an attractive place to invest.

Move on 5 - 10 years from now and hopefully the situation will have stabilised and a new 'norm' been established - allowing companies to make investments safe in the knowledge that they are not going to lose out from them.

As for the Birmingham busses, aside from the fact that they were very much Jason's 'pet project' as it were, I suspect their retail price, the speed with which they could be delivered (thus arriving ahead of most of the economic upheavals as we dismantle a 40 odd year trading relationship) meant it was a risk worth taking. This is not the case for the various railway products Rapido have expressed an interest in doing in the past.

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Does this mean ALL UK products are 'paused' and up for grabs ?

Read the latest Rapido newsletter, where it is all explained.

But the short version is they will continue making UK projects for 3rd parties (Revolution/RealTrack/Model Rail) but not their direct stuff.  And while we will see what happens at Warley, the comment on the second bus they scanned (West Midlands Fleetline) sound like it also is on hold (though they will be doing a second run of the Birmingham bus in 2020 per the latest (118) North American newsletter).

So the only projects paused and up for grabs are the Gunpowder van and the Prototype HST.

2 hours ago, mdvle said:

Read the latest Rapido newsletter, where it is all explained.

But the short version is they will continue making UK projects for 3rd parties (Revolution/RealTrack/Model Rail) but not their direct stuff.  And while we will see what happens at Warley, the comment on the second bus they scanned (West Midlands Fleetline) sound like it also is on hold (though they will be doing a second run of the Birmingham bus in 2020 per the latest (118) North American newsletter).

So the only projects paused and up for grabs are the Gunpowder van and the Prototype HST.

I wonder if the reason Gareth Bayer seems to have moved to Accurascale has anything to do with it.