N gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

Hi everyone,

'Expressions of Interest' continue to come i, but to whet your whistle a bit, here are the 2nd APT renderings from the Laser scanning.

This will, i hope, give you something to look forward to in N gauge. (and yes the second car has a side missing, and we don't know why, but it is on the STP file so we arent too worried.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-76131100-1535894327_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-88277100-1535894333_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-79770800-1535894341_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Hi everyone,

At last a reduced price quote from China for the less than full fat APT.

Please remember this is for a plain interior, no Tilt, no interior lighting, no through wiring (so will need 3 decoders i'm afraid) etc (it does and will have directional lighting and DCCsound capable)

Hi everyone,

'Expressions of Interest' continue to come i, but to whet your whistle a bit, here are the 2nd APT renderings from the Laser scanning.

post-1144-0-48872400-1535894348_thumb.jp

This will, i hope, give you something to look forward to in N gauge. (and yes the second car has a side missing, and we don't know why, but it is on the STP file so we arent too worried.

cheers

Dave

I may have missed it but your 'no frills' post doesn't mention either way the raised nose option for N (I didn't need those mentioned), is the superb looking CAD image(s) relevant to both scales or has it been 'de-frilled' from the N version?

Regards, Gerry.

Hi Dave,

I may have missed it but your 'no frills' post doesn't mention either way the raised nose option for N (I didn't need those mentioned), is the superb looking CAD image(s) relevant to both scales or has it been 'de-frilled' from the N version?

Regards, Gerry.

Hi Gerry,

your quite right and i shall remove the nose up from this thread.

cheers

Dave

Dave, I may have missed it (although I don't think so), but can you confirm how many powered power cars each set will now have in the new low-fat versions?

Hi,

As the weight will now not be so much, we think (the Chinese designer and i) that a single very heavy power unit will suffice, but we will look closely at it, as it still has to run, climb gradients and do reverse curves, so it it struggles at all we will look at a second power unit.

however, there's a long way to go just yet... lots of pre-orders needed to make this a reality.

cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just a small update regarding the 'less frills' APT model in N gauge.

When the specification was changed the higher price and specification APT's had around 400 orders / expressions of interest.

As of 11.00am today the lower price and specification model is at 48 models!

Early days yet, but it's not looking too good.

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

That's interesting to see that more people are interested in paying more for the full Monty and less people interested in paying less for the no frills version.

Have all 400 original "interested" expressed one way or the other why they have not expressed interest this time round?

That's interesting to see that more people are interested in paying more for the full Monty and less people interested in paying less for the no frills version.

Have all 400 original "interested" expressed one way or the other why they have not expressed interest this time round?

To be honest mate, i have not kept their contact details after mailing them asking to transfer their 'expressions of interest' to the new site if they were interested in the no frills one. Basically with all this hoo ha about data protection i felt it was better to expunge those contact details from my system, and start afresh.

It is early days still, and as has been said elsewhere, christmas is coming.

I do have a database of names and preferences though, which i will compare in a couple of weeks once back from my jaunt east next week.

Dave, do you have the means to contact all the original expressers of interest to inform them of the changed spec and price? I wonder if the people who saw the original publicity and signed up even know about the changes?

Edit - cross posted as you posted your rely above

I struggle to see why Christmas would influence an "expression of interest", this is not a demand for money.

Edited by cutting42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When the specification was changed the higher price and specification APT's had around 400 orders / expressions of interest.

As of 11.00am today the lower price and specification model is at 48 models!

In May there were fewer than 100 (post #245), after 7 months, what happened to generate the additional 300 orders between May and July or whenever you stopped taking orders? Did you do a load more publicity, if so maybe time to replicate that...

Agreed,

i have just block booked 12 months of advertising, and will be pushing the king and the APT there, in press releases and on new show advertising / flyers up to Christmas.

I have no doubt this will get more orders and in fact the confirmation of those who had their refund, re-ordering, and those that originally 'expressed and interest' coming back with a firm order.

please note this is for N gauge expressions and also pertinent to the OO firm orders.

• Like 1

But GDPR really meant this was illegal to do.

I am absolutely not a GDPR expert but I am not sure this is the case. If he was keeping the names randomly "just in case" then I would agree but surely if it was to transfer from one electronic system to another it would have been fine. Analogous to buying a new filing cabinet and transferring your paperwork from the old one to the new one?

But it was collected without a decoration that it would be kept. 

Implied retention is not enough and Dave and almost everyone else did not ask for explicit permission to keep information, or write to everyone before GDPR cam into force asking to ask to keep the data.

Rules are rules, and big fines are big fines!

But it was collected without a decoration that it would be kept. 

Implied retention is not enough and Dave and almost everyone else did not ask for explicit permission to keep information, or write to everyone before GDPR cam into force asking to ask to keep the data.

Rules are rules, and big fines are big fines!

You may be correct and I may be guilty of trying to apply logic and common sense here but I am told by others more knowledgeable that a big issue with GDPR is over compliance. Folks feeling they almost have to go the extra mile on everything for fear of those big fines, creating way more work than was intended.

Or maybe I just don't like bureaucracy ;-)

The smart businesses have been asking explicit permission for years, ie banks, insurers, utilities and the like, partly because their FCA or other regulatory bodies required it, but most of the online trading and general web community etc. did not.

Frankly its a mess but most companies are now compliant.

• RMweb Gold

The man is selling a model and asked for expressions of interest. He received some together with contact details. What he was offering changed so it would be perfectly legal to write to those who expressed an interest to tell them of the change and to ask if they are still interested. Perfectly legal and sensible.

Not to do so was in my opinion not the best marketing decision of the year.