00 Bagnall 'Port of Par' 0-4-0ST Bodge/Bash - Battery Power/Radio Control

Alfred and Judy have saddle tanks that protrude over the smokebox fronts

Hi Corbs

Alfred was built 16 years after Judy and was slightly different, I don't believe it's tank extends past the smokebox like Judys does. However Bill and Ben are twins (and probably built at the same time) so how you model them is up to you.

Looking fantastic so far!

Edit to correct autocorrect

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You're right, it does depend on the era too. In this universe, the SCC locos are 1939-built, so two years after 'Judy'. They also differ in a few ways - the chimney on the yellow ones is set further back, for example.

Have a look at this - currently Judy has a riveted tank that protrudes over the smokebox. Alfred has a welded tank and the front plate sticks out more.

(not my pics)

post-898-0-96593900-1513678030_thumb.jpg

Yet here in the 1960s, Judy was still at work with a welded tank, and the sticky out smokebox.

post-898-0-39569400-1513678094_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The Bachmann US "twins" are really quite close dimensionally (cab ignored) to Hawarden- much too big for a 4mm Alfred or Judy but definite industrial bashing potential nonetheless.

Sorry to be ignorant but what are the US twins?

Found it now!

Stu

Edited by eastworld

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress on SCC No.1 'Bill'.

After a quick weathering wash, it still needs some bits and bobs doing but the body superstructure is largely complete. The smokebox door is an N gauge one from my friend's spares box, with a 00 smokebox door dart.

The buffers are from RT Models. I deliberately chose the largest ones I could get in order to make the loco look smaller.

The next step is ordering the wheels from Alan Gibson, after which I can work out motor mounting position etc.

post-898-0-50579600-1514587508_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-91921100-1514587533_thumb.jpg

To put the size in context, here it is next to a surprise christmas present - a ViTrains class 47! Should be useful for when I'm in 1970s mode.

post-898-0-32040800-1514587606.png

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The rebuilding of another loco has freed up some Pug components so I can work out how to put things together.

Here it is with the pug wheelset. The Alan Gibson wheels are a tad smaller, but I may have issues with the drive gear fouling the kadee magnets. More testing needed.

post-898-0-66436800-1518048489_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-36066500-1518048504_thumb.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A very frustrating time. My shaft adapters arrived from Nigel Lawton and I made up a little mount from plasticard. It worked for a bit, then the motor slipped off the shaft. Went to fix it and inadvertently popped the motor apart, mangling the contacts and screwing up the motor. I only had one. Tried another, smaller motor and it burnt out. Have ordered some more but have to wait once again. So annoying.

post-898-0-86656300-1519678381_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Just found this thread after being directed here by the ever-helpful Captain Kernow.

I've got a Hornby Peckett on order with a view to converting it into a Par Bagnall. I reckon it will end up about 10% too big all round but it will still be way smaller than anything else so I might get away with it.

I have a set of works drawings for the par twins if you need any dimensions at all send me an message 

I'd be very interested in these too.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds cool, you've prompted me to get the scale converter and ruler out to test against my model

Judy is 2.3m tall - 30mm in 1/76

and 2.25m wide - 29.74mm in 1/76

The ERTL model on the Pug chassis is 35mm tall but 30mm wide

The cab and saddle tank are slightly too tall and the wheels a bit too big which accounts for the extra height, but the width is ok. I think it would take major surgery to get the body down to size.

It's still super small! here next to another 'Pugbash' using the pug cab, and a Stanier 5MT

post-898-0-54889300-1519992799_thumb.jpeg

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Picking this back up after the best part of a year! I must be procrastinating about another job I'm supposed to be doing.

I got as far as making the motor mount and couldn't work out how to fix the motor in place, but today I did it and a few other things.

I think one of the wheelsets is out of quarter causing the juddery running in reverse. Going to have to find someone to quarter all my wheels for me as this is a recurring problem for me...

post-898-0-09661700-1543179246_thumb.jpeg

post-898-0-10173500-1543179271_thumb.jpg

Here's it packed in, the receiver is mounted the same way as on 'Perseus', by gouging out a hole for it in the front of the chassis. I eventually mounted the motor by soldering on a strip of brass and using epoxy to hold it on to the styrene mount. It works, just needed a little bit of packing underneath to stop it binding agains the axle gear.

post-898-0-51196300-1543179291_thumb.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Witchcraft indeed! I have another video of it test running on the layout (not much use to you I'm afraid Dave :( ). Screw coupling now fitted.

3 members of the SCC fleet in the yard together.

post-898-0-78088700-1543188452_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Aha, thanks Simon. A few months ago I tried to buy a coopercraft one but it never arrived. Fairly certain they still have my money.

EDIT: Now I remember, I was supposed to try and buy a GW Models wheel quartering jig a while back but work makes it hard to ring people during the day and I don't have a chequebook (Well, I assume I got one with my bank account, but I've never used it and it's probably in my Mum's attic somewhere). Need to sort something out as this is now the 3rd loco build being held up due to bad quartering.

Edited by Corbs

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to Coopercraft and they apologised for the delay and hopefully I'll be getting a jig soon, yaay! That's this one, the YEC 0-6-0ST, and the FR K2 which all need quartering properly.

Have a GIF to celebrate.

post-898-0-37985700-1543339672.gif

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It is indeed (not the smoke, that's fake CGI)

I thought you’d let the “magic smoke” out...

Edit: I thought it was real CGI, but fake smoke?

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

For quartering wheels, invest in a GW Models wheel press. Combined with a vice and a back to back gauge, you won’t go wrong.

Question then becomes how to get hold of one.  If the producer has a web-site, I've failed to find it, or is this a producer that only sells at finescale shows? 

• RMweb Gold

Question then becomes how to get hold of one.  If the producer has a web-site, I've failed to find it, or is this a producer that only sells at finescale shows?

That, and via post: adverts have appeared in MRJ.