Sentinel Y1/Y3 in 7mm scale

NeilHB

• RMweb Gold
On 01/09/2019 at 18:44, Dava said:

BR(E) Departmental 39 has been added to the first production run, good news though be aware that this loco [ex Lowestoft] spent 10 years only at Chesterton Jct rail depot, Cambridge in this guise.

Dava

That's great news, must get one when they are released as I would have seen No.39 at Lowestoft many, many years ago on my annual visits to Lowestoft  to stay with the grandparents. As my grandfather was a fitter at Lowestoft shed he probably even worked on it.

Keith

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/09/2019 at 11:34, Kubes said:

Tower Models have just announced expected delivery towards the end of October!

Kubes

And October came and is about gone and still nothing. Why am I not surprised? Be a nice surprise when it turns up, it's not needed, just a "nice to have". 

It's a bit like sitting in a traffic jam, no amount of fretting really helps.

Phil T.

• RMweb Premium

On the Tower Models site yesterday: they're on the big boat, DC before Xmas, DCC early 2020

"At the same time Dapol have also confirmed that the long awaited Y1/Y3 Sentinel are now in transit from China which hopefully means they should arrive hopefully in 5 weeks time and then just have to clear customs and transportation to Dapol. I would guess this means they should arrive sometime around the second week of December if everything goes to plan. The DCC and sound fitting is being done here in the UK so these will be available approximately a month after the basic DC version. We are now taking advance orders for these for immediate despatch as soon as they become available. Advance ordering is highly recommended as this is bound to be popular."

Dava

• 1 month later...

Hattons advise my order for the  'ISEBROOK" version is being processed, so a nice Christmas present! Has anyone seen an illustration of the Departmental 39 version? Looking forward to comments on rmweb re this long awaited model.

John 

My #2 Isebrook works OK on DC and even better with a Zimo MX636D decoder, just purrs along nicely.  At first I thought the firebox flicker was not working, as looking into the spacious cab no sign of a flicker.  Silly me its more an ashpan glow than firebox flicker being directly under the boiler/firebox but now I'm happy with it.

Norman

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/12/2019 at 12:10, H16LSWR said:

Hattons advise my order for the  'ISEBROOK" version is being processed, so a nice Christmas present! Has anyone seen an illustration of the Departmental 39 version? Looking forward to comments on rmweb re this long awaited model.

John 

There's a picture of Departmental No.39 on the latest newsletter from Kernow Model Rail Centre.

Ordered a sound-fitted version myself (which Dapol tell me won't be with me until the New Year) as No.39 was shedded at Lowestoft in 1957 (when I was 12) where my grandfather was a fitter at the engine shed and I probably saw the loco when I was there for the summer holidays.

Keith

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

So now Dapol has shut down for 3 weeks, the DCC sound fitted batch were sent to Zimo to be chipped. Or is that DCC Supplies? When complete will they be sent direct to retailers for despatch, or have to wait for Dapol to reopen? 

It seems a long wait for this batch, mine ordered last year. Fortunately I got a NQP version at Kettering to play with.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dava. 

I just need to give it a light weathering.

I would really love to know if it ever carried a brass number 12 plate and if it was also numbered on the buffer beams? Given it only served for a couple of months, and was on trial, did they bother  numbering it in conventional style?

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

That's a very nice number 12 you got there. It's much better looking in GWR livery then the "Kermit Green" original livery from Dapol. Did you just respray it or is "Kermit" completely gone?

I was looking for the same answer as you about the numbering. I only found this about the number 13.

Cheers,

Henk

PSX_20200331_013402.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is there any news on the delivery of the sound fitted version of these? Hattons newsletter last week appeared to advertise a second tranche of the non sound ones but no mention from either them or Dapol on the sound fitted version.  

• Agree 1

On 07/05/2020 at 12:24, Phil Traxson said:

Is there any news on the delivery of the sound fitted version of these? Hattons newsletter last week appeared to advertise a second tranche of the non sound ones but no mention from either them or Dapol on the sound fitted version.  

I think Dapol fit the sound themselves in their UK premises. So the lockdown has probably had a big effect on sound fitting models. 

• Agree 1

It's probably more to do with the difficulty in creating a good sound project.  The noise these fantastic machines created is very much non standard, just go to youtube and have a listen to one or two. The problem is created because you can here a distinctive rapid chuff and the noise from the chain drives, which will not be easy to replicate simply by recording the real thing as in reality the noise is not synchronised. e.g. when coasting very light chuffs and a noisy chain but when driven the chain drive is in the background only.

If this can be achieved authentically it will re-create the illusion of the full size machine.

No one yet seems to offer a good solution on Zimo or ESU - so I think it must be difficult. 

• Like 1

On 09/05/2020 at 09:02, norman said:

It's probably more to do with the difficulty in creating a good sound project.  The noise these fantastic machines created is very much non standard, just go to youtube and have a listen to one or two. The problem is created because you can here a distinctive rapid chuff and the noise from the chain drives, which will not be easy to replicate simply by recording the real thing as in reality the noise is not synchronised. e.g. when coasting very light chuffs and a noisy chain but when driven the chain drive is in the background only.

If this can be achieved authentically it will re-create the illusion of the full size machine.

No one yet seems to offer a good solution on Zimo or ESU - so I think it must be difficult. 

Is there any evidence to back this up?

The Dapol Reps at Kettering said they were awaiting a delivery of Zimo chips so they could fit them, Dapol shut down not long after due to the COVID19 measures. Nothing was mentioned about not having recorded one yet.

Andrew

• Agree 1

On 31/03/2020 at 11:44, Adrian Stevenson said:

Thanks Dava. 

I just need to give it a light weathering.

I would really love to know if it ever carried a brass number 12 plate and if it was also numbered on the buffer beams? Given it only served for a couple of months, and was on trial, did they bother  numbering it in conventional style?

Cheers, Ade.

Just about to follow in your footsteps, and wondering -

1 - if it's better to repaint over the awful grass-green Isebrook or a black sentinel

2 - Did you consider no. 13 rather than no. 12, in view of its longer currency?  It seems to have worked at the Park Royal Trading Estate until 1946...........

Can you help please? 

Thanks in advance.

David Hobbs  NZ