Sentinel Y1/Y3 in 7mm scale

NeilHB

• RMweb Gold

Hi David, I think either base colour would work fine. A couple of coats will cover no problem. I bought a green one as it was on offer.

I chose No 12 as I am modelling the Malmesbury branch line where this loco was trialled.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/05/2020 at 17:03, Andrew Young said:

Is there any evidence to back this up?

The Dapol Reps at Kettering said they were awaiting a delivery of Zimo chips so they could fit them, Dapol shut down not long after due to the COVID19 measures. Nothing was mentioned about not having recorded one yet.

Andrew

They have recorded a real one - Isebrook. But I am also still waiting for the factory-fitted sound version. 

Dava

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've ordered the sound version. The problem, though, having heard the real thing operating in Lowestoft, they didn't make much noise.

We used to walk down the harbour to get to the beach and one of these would creep up on us without any warning, turn around and there it was.

Despite that I want a sound version, it might be quiet but that's better than no chuff chuff sound. It will be realistic!!

Keith

So as always I decided that I needed another industrial loco and the Dapol sentinel is a cracking model however I didn’t like the fictional blue ncb livery in 7mm because the name looked cheap. I did however like the wasp stripes and feel it’s not something I could paint as well they have. As the rest of my stock is crimson I thought I would have a bash at a respray with my trusty rattle can humbrol acrylic spray. I need to detail and lightly weather when it’s fully hardened but quite pleased overall with it!

DE337002-43A1-4177-9E05-0168D5072800.jpeg

93DA2EB1-6095-498B-BBA8-0737E12472C5.jpeg

5EFF1EEA-D857-4668-BBF5-0F8D64F82A45.jpeg

Edited by Lordy
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 20/05/2020 at 10:13, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi David, I think either base colour would work fine. A couple of coats will cover no problem. I bought a green one as it was on offer.

I chose No 12 as I am modelling the Malmesbury branch line where this loco was trialled.

Cheers, Ade.

Many thanks Adrian - will spring into action once Covid-delayed mail to the end of the world arrives.  Think I will go for proper plates to be part of the "family  uniform"..............

David Hobbs  NZ

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Received my sound fitted version today, just about two years since it was first announced by Dapol, and 9 months after the none sound versions, but hey ho!

I have to thank Hattons for keeping me as up to date with progress as they could and speedy delivery when it finally was released. I was informed that it had been despatched Thursday by tracked post and thanks to excellent work by the post office it was delivered today, Friday, before I had chance to check its progress. Well done both, I am well pleased.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

Received my sound fitted version today, just about two years since it was first announced by Dapol, and 9 months after the none sound versions, but hey ho!

I have to thank Hattons for keeping me as up to date with progress as they could and speedy delivery when it finally was released. I was informed that it had been despatched Thursday by tracked post and thanks to excellent work by the post office it was delivered today, Friday, before I had chance to check its progress. Well done both, I am well pleased.

Still undecided about one of these and hoping that now the sound fitted ones are arriving that a video or two will appear to help me decide. Can you tell which make of DCC decoder have been installed?

Cheers,

Andrew

26 minutes ago, Andrew Young said:

Still undecided about one of these and hoping that now the sound fitted ones are arriving that a video or two will appear to help me decide. Can you tell which make of DCC decoder have been installed?

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andy, according to the instruction booklet the sound fitted version has a Zimo MX644D decoder.

The none sound ones have a  Dapol Imperium 21 pin decoder.  

Fascinating to listen to, being a geared loco, with so many chuffs for such low speeds. Lost nearly 2hours yesterday when it arrived play  checking and testing it. 

Phil T.

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 minutes ago, Phil Traxson said:

Hi Andy, according to the instruction booklet the sound fitted version has a Zimo MX644D decoder.

The none sound ones have a  Dapol Imperium 21 pin decoder.  

Fascinating to listen to, being a geared loco, with so many chuffs for such low speeds. 

Phil T.

Thanks Phil, sounds most promising.

12 hours ago, Andrew Young said:

Thanks Phil, sounds most promising.

Seems very susceptible to uneven track and wide point crossing gaps, I think that's just down to the small wheel diameter and being a rigid four wheeler though, rather than a fault within the loco. if my layout was bigger than the shunting diorama that it is I would consider wiring up a wagon for extra pickups and keeping it semi-permanently coupled up, but my max train is 3 four wheel wagons and a loco.

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, norman said:

Phil

Perhaps DCC with stay alive is  a good solution to your dilemma, there is plenty of room inside.

Norman

Just needs a stay alive capacitor fitting then, though the hesitation is getting less as I use the loco. To be fair it only arrived on Thursday (29th Oct) and probably has only had a total of a couple of hours running on a very small layout, max run is only 8ft  6ins including both fiddle sticks, and so it is a very extreme test. It is just that I only have Ixion/Minerva loco's to compare it with and they just performed so well, immediately, out of the box.  This is my first DCC layout and I am amazed at the slow running capability, I can get the speed down to imperceptible with all the loco's, to the point of having to look away for a time to find that they have moved.   

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

Seems very susceptible to uneven track and wide point crossing gaps, I think that's just down to the small wheel diameter and being a rigid four wheeler though, rather than a fault within the loco. if my layout was bigger than the shunting diorama that it is I would consider wiring up a wagon for extra pickups and keeping it semi-permanently coupled up, but my max train is 3 four wheel wagons and a loco.

Thanks Phil, reckon you might be well advised to speak to Paul about fitting some stay alive capacity. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

Just needs a stay alive capacitor fitting then, though the hesitation is getting less as I use the loco. To be fair it only arrived on Thursday (29th Oct) and probably has only had a total of a couple of hours running on a very small layout, max run is only 8ft  6ins including both fiddle sticks, and so it is a very extreme test. It is just that I only have Ixion/Minerva loco's to compare it with and they just performed so well, immediately, out of the box.  This is my first DCC layout and I am amazed at the slow running capability, I can get the speed down to imperceptible with all the loco's, to the point of having to look away for a time to find that they have moved.   

Just wondering Phil, if the Sentinel is hesitant over the crossing vees, your layout uses the Peco set track points with their unifrogs, just checking that the vees have been wired rather than left as dead frogs? Of course, just might’ve been a bit of dirt!

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

For what its worth my Dapol locos (14xx, 57xx, 08) all run impeccably smoothly and if I had one that didnt, I would check it is actually ok before modifying it.

I think its just that its a 4 wheeler and very small wheels as well, it's at the same spots each time so I don't think it's a fault on the Loco. I've been watching carefully and it tends to drop into the crossing gap so rocks a little, more down to the small radius Peco points than the loco, a stay alive will just get it over the spot by acting as an electric flywheel where it loses contact.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Phil Traxson said:

I think its just that its a 4 wheeler and very small wheels as well, it's at the same spots each time so I don't think it's a fault on the Loco. I've been watching carefully and it tends to drop into the crossing gap so rocks a little, more down to the small radius Peco points than the loco, a stay alive will just get it over the spot by acting as an electric flywheel where it loses contact.

Thanks Phil. As I use the same points as you, will make a mental note to source some stay alive if I get one.

Thanks,

Andrew

It's improving all the time, needs a bit of wear in the bearings, need a bigger layout! I have just had a 20 minute play and it didn't stall once right down to step 3 on the controller over the points, which is 1 chuff per second, on a geared loco I don't think it would ever go that slowly in real life. I'm now going to see if I can video it on my point and shoot camera, several firsts there!!

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived last week and runs impeccably although as to be expected is susceptible to dirty track and pickups.

Application of Graphite  to the rails will improve performance in the absence of a stay-alive unit.

As for the above sound file....to my ear it ain`t much like the real thing which seems to be all hiss and clanks but no chuffs !!

Edited by ROSSPOP
wrong yutube clip

• RMweb Gold
On 20/05/2020 at 23:29, Lordy said:

So as always I decided that I needed another industrial loco and the Dapol sentinel is a cracking model however I didn’t like the fictional blue ncb livery in 7mm because the name looked cheap. I did however like the wasp stripes and feel it’s not something I could paint as well they have. As the rest of my stock is crimson I thought I would have a bash at a respray with my trusty rattle can humbrol acrylic spray. I need to detail and lightly weather when it’s fully hardened but quite pleased overall with it!

DE337002-43A1-4177-9E05-0168D5072800.jpeg

93DA2EB1-6095-498B-BBA8-0737E12472C5.jpeg

5EFF1EEA-D857-4668-BBF5-0F8D64F82A45.jpeg

What did you use to remove the printed transfers please ?

John

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ROSSPOP said:

What did you use to remove the printed transfers please ?

John

I stripped a Dapol brake van in IPA and the lettering came off well before it had any impact at all on the body colour. No guarantee that would work when needed of course!

3 hours ago, ROSSPOP said:

Mine arrived last week and runs impeccably although as to be expected is susceptible to dirty track and pickups.

Application of Graphite  to the rails will improve performance in the absence of a stay-alive unit.

As for the above sound file....to my ear it ain`t much like the real thing which seems to be all hiss and clanks but no chuffs !!

That's probably because I was running it too slowly, it does sound more like the real one as it speeds up. I was a bit wary of going too fast on a short layout and (almost) working the camera as well, it was my first attempt at this, hopefully I will improve with practice but there 's no guarantee:lol:. That clip is very useful in helping with more realistic operation, thanks very much for showing it, it also gives access to more of the same at the end of the clip which gives even more help. I was definitely trying to run too slowly. I'm pretty sure the recording the sound file was built from was from No 12, the whistle is definitely the same as the Cholsely and Wallingford clip. I'll perhaps have another go at recording the model, but wait until I have a decent video before I publish it!   

• Like 1