Sentinel Y1/Y3 in 7mm scale

NeilHB

Just now, Phil Traxson said:

That's probably because I was running it too slowly, it does sound more like the real one as it speeds up. I was a bit wary of going too fast on a short layout and (almost) working the camera as well, it was my first attempt at this, hopefully I will improve with practice but there 's no guarantee:lol:. That clip is very useful in helping with more realistic operation, thanks very much for showing it, it also gives access to more of the same at the end of the clip which gives even more help. I was definitely trying to run too slowly. I'm pretty sure the recording the sound file was built from was from No 12, the whistle is definitely the same as the Cholsely and Wallingford clip. I'll perhaps have another go at recording the model, but wait until I have a decent video before I publish it! 

The rails are graphited, I'm a long time convert to this. I think the steady improvement in pick-up may well be down to the transfer of the graphite to the wheel treads as time goes on. 

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has anyone running the DCC sound version of these fitted a stay alive? If so, which one did you fit, and where? Mine isn't happy on a couple of sections of the layout at slow speed, so I'm hoping that adding a stay alive may just help it when doing shunting etc. 

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

How do you remove the blanking plug from the Dapol Y1 to fit a DCC chip? It’s taken me 3 years to get to this one. The instructions say use the tool provided, it wasn’t in my NQP box. I can’t see a way of levering or pulling the 21 pin plug out of the socket which is horizontal in the bunker.

Advice welcome.

Dava

The tool mentioned by Dapol was included in the class 121/122  releases.  It is a U shaped springy metal with a right angled bend at each end to clip under the decoder.  Works a treat.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...