Ashton Row Pumping Station

TurboSnail

I noticed the rectangular hole for the door, but would it not have been possible for the wooden frame of the coal drops just to have continued over the gap, or would this method have obstructed the door space? Just the track looks a bit odd when it goes over the gap what with no current means of support, or will it be supported in some way eventually?

Edited by Andrew Cockburn

More assembly has happened this afternoon, quick question though; should the narrow gauge line go all the way across the side or stop at the edge of the coal drops?

attachicon.gifIMG_20180520_185545.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180520_185616.jpg

If you stopped the track short you could only bring in two wagons at a time; whereas the longer track  as in the second photo would give space for the first couple of wagons in a 3 or 4  wagon train after they had dropped their coal.  I do agree though that the track would need to be supported on I beams if you want to keep the door visible. Some railings matching those elsewhere in the building might also add interest as also might a ladder or stairway down to  the main building floor.

• Like 1

I like the idea of the beams. A slightly different idea that you occasionally see for things like this is a very short section of very heavy rail, but on something more well engineered like a waterworks line the beam works better. I think it looks good and I like the way you've modelled inside the building. Will there be something to stop the wagons rolling off the end (buffers etc)?

Guest Saltburn

I like your idea of a pumping station as a cakebox challenge the modelling you have done is really great and I will be following your progress..

Will there be something to stop the wagons rolling off the end (buffers etc)?

Probably not, it's supposed to give the impression that the building continues further forwards, but that's the sort of thing I'll decide later once it's a bit more complete.

• 1 month later...

More glacial progress has been made recently, the crankshaft and flywheel are getting mounted and should be painted soon. I had to cut out part of the stairs to fit the bearing as well so I need to think of a way of fixing that.

post-25124-0-13310400-1529652792_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Deadline looming, so I should probably get on with my entry...

It's starting to come together now, the track is down and I've started fixing the engine after some transit damage. There's not a whole lot left to do after this, just installing the engine, adding some detail (pipework, stairs etc.) and adding the mirror and roof to complete the box structure. Maybe I will be finished on time after all!

post-25124-0-58823700-1536320086_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-75141900-1536320096_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking good.

Do you have any plans to make the flywheel available to the general public to print? I can't find anything as nice on Shapeways?

The bent structural beams I'm guessing is made from normal plasticard? It certainly looks like it was designed to withstand any stresses the small engine / flywheel could throw at it.

Looking good.

Do you have any plans to make the flywheel available to the general public to print? I can't find anything as nice on Shapeways?

The bent structural beams I'm guessing is made from normal plasticard? It certainly looks like it was designed to withstand any stresses the small engine / flywheel could throw at it.

The engine frame is indeed plasticard, which was a bit of a pain to glue accurately and hold it while it dried, but I think has come out well. You say it's a small flywheel but it's about 18ft diameter in OO scale! Though it's not difficult to resize if necessary.

I have now made the flywheel available on Shapeways (link here), but they have bumped their prices a lot since I bought mine last year, almost double. I may be able to get a cheaper one done in Resin, but that wouldn't have the same sort of guarantees behind it that a company like Shapeways does and would need some cleaning up - drop me a PM if you're interested.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe it’s the scale of the structure around the flywheel that makes it look small - thanks for the Shapeways upload.

Other sizes might be useful but I have a feeling I can use the flywheel.

Will watch this progress with interest.

• 2 weeks later...

To satisfy the conditions of the cakebox challenge, it needs two railway items. The OO9 track will suffice for one, the other is this - the cheapest and quickest item of rolling stock I've ever built! Some offcuts of plasticard, a few bits of strip and holepunch dregs for the wheels. It's fun making things when there are no consequences for getting it wrong!

It's based on a steel sided coal wagon in the livery of the Metropolitan Railway Board, which I later researched and found out that they used tipper wagons, painted green. Oops...

post-25124-0-60269300-1537282126_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Finished! The main parts of the cakebox are done, possibly a few little details to add here and there, but that will do for now otherwise I'll keep on adding bits forever.

It's been a good experience on the whole, I set out to try a few different techniques and they have mostly come out successfully, particularly the use of plasticard brick textures and the 3D printed parts. If you follow any of my other threads, you'll know how far the 3D printing aspect has evolved over the last 10 months or so since I started this cakebox challenge...

One of the other things I aimed to do was avoid the 'standard' diorama sort of scene, hence the cakebox is used vertically and with the smallest side open, so that the viewer has to look into the scene, rather than down on it. I think this has worked, it gives you a more eye-level view than the typical model railway aerial view, with the mirror helping it to not look too cramped. 

post-25124-0-59698800-1537440740_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-57185200-1537440793_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-58795100-1537441024_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-92321800-1537441046_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-32274800-1537441200_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...