Omagh GNRi General Station in N

tmcg1959

After a long period of debate work on Omagh GNRi Station in N-gauge started in earnest a few weeks ago and as time allowed I built baseboard legs fitted with T-nuts and bolts to allow levelling. The baseboards are built in two sections each 2100mm long and measure 500mm and 300mm wide. This gives me 2100x800mm in total. The 500mm section is the scenic part of the layout with the 300mm section (behind the background) giving me storage yards and return circuits.  This is a challenging model in N but the only way for me to go. At the moment I am fixing the legs and baseboards into the purpose built garden shed and everything is either screwed or bolted together - should I ever decide to exhibit!

Disappointed you are going for N gauge for purely personal reasons, for me the gauge is to small to allow some detail to whatever you are modelling but fully accept it's good for you and that's the most important thing.  Good luck in your endeavors and I look forward to your posting of the progress of this layout.

Kieran, I went to the Model Shop in Enniskillen and handled some of the N gauge wagons there. The detail was absolutely amazing. Of course it may be difficult to scratch build a lot of things that are possible in 00 however if I stayed with 00 I am certain I wouldn't be able to do what I plan and what I visualise. There is a growing development in Irish through 00 however, its not impossible in N. I am a regular at the N-gauge forum and it is both inspirational and supportive - the layouts there are equally amazing as anything I've seen on larger scale forums.

Edited by tmcg1959

I downsized to N nearly 40 years ago and found that I could build a more realistic layout in a similar space to OO. It an ideal scale for modelling the railway and its environment rather than focusing on locomotives and rolling stock.

I managed to build a reasonable end to end Irish N Scale layout before getting hooked on American N Scale as one of my main interests.

At the time I was content to repaint British rtr stock to resemble CIE but eventually got round to kitbashing rtr locos and stock to resemble Irish stock.

Given time its possible some one will develop suitable N scale kits or possibly rtr stock. Who would have dreamed two-three years ago that a company would be manufacturing limited runs of Irish steam locos in OO.

post-7338-0-51169000-1511770206_thumb.jpg

Edited by John M
  • Like 1

Disappointed you are going for N gauge for purely personal reasons, for me the gauge is to small to allow some detail to whatever you are modelling but fully accept it's good for you and that's the most important thing.  Good luck in your endeavors and I look forward to your posting of the progress of this layout.

Hi Kieran. I have to slightly disagree. The quality of N gauge BR outline rolling stock is superb nowadays. Some of the N gauge layouts I've seen and operated close up at WMRC are superb. Yes they are all GB prototypes but very impressive. I do agree if modelling Irish especially CIE/IR from 60s onwards you are limited to Shapeways for all the Irish diesel locos. But at least every class of GM and MV diesel is covered. Noel

Hi Kieran. I have to slightly disagree. The quality of N gauge BR outline rolling stock is superb nowadays. Some of the N gauge layouts I've seen and operated close up at WMRC are superb. Yes they are all GB prototypes but very impressive. I do agree if modelling Irish especially CIE/IR from 60s onwards you are limited to Shapeways for all the Irish diesel locos. But at least every class of GM and MV diesel is covered. Noel

NoelG, I couldn't agree more.

I’m sorry guys but you have totally misread what I said.  I repeat, “for purely personal reasons, for me the gauge is too small to allow some detail to whatever you are modelling

I find it difficult enough to model in 00 gauge, my eyes would not let me near anything below that.  I was not casting aspersions on the quality of N gauge stock or what anyone wishes to do, I repeat I would just find it extremely difficult to model in that scale.

I’m sorry guys but you have totally misread what I said.  I repeat, “for purely personal reasons, for me the gauge is too small to allow some detail to whatever you are modelling

I find it difficult enough to model in 00 gauge, my eyes would not let me near anything below that.  I was not casting aspersions on the quality of N gauge stock or what anyone wishes to do, I repeat I would just find it extremely difficult to model in that scale.

Kieran, I never interpreted your response in any other way. I know what you were saying. I'm wearing +3 glasses and I too find it difficult at the best of times. I dropped a brake lever belonging to a cattle wagon a few months back and still cannot find it!

I'll be honest, I really am struggling to accomplish my goals - the planning stage is difficult.

Apologies Kieran, no prob. Comprendee. :)