Dapol Announced an O Gauge GWR 45XX 2-6-2?

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

My guess is that Dapol will keep their 7mm focus on tank locos, which have the right price point and the biggest market.

If they were to go for a GWR tender loco, then a Dean rather than Collett Goods would have the broadest appeal. 

I agree that a Dean goods would be more likely, an Armstrong standard goods would be more interesting but even less likely than a Collett.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2021 at 10:14, dpgibbons said:

My guess is that Dapol will keep their 7mm focus on tank locos, which have the right price point and the biggest market.

If they were to go for a GWR tender loco, then a Dean rather than Collett Goods would have the broadest appeal. 

I'd rather Dapol took more control over LIONHEART's ethereal 45XX to get it over the line - that would be a great achievement.

Edited by dch05
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But if a crossover as this is also being talked about in another thread. But for the sake of completeness, here is what I found out today at the SVR O gauge show having spoken with Richard.

These are now in production. Die cast body with can be completely removed with just two screws with no wires attached. 

If these go well the sloped tank version may also be produced.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

But if a crossover as this is also being talked about in another thread. But for the sake of completeness, here is what I found out today at the SVR O gauge show having spoken with Richard.

These are now in production. Die cast body with can be completely removed with just two screws with no wires attached. 

If these go well the sloped tank version may also be produced.

Cheers, Ade.

if they don't go well then frankly the hobby is doomed . they should sell like hot cakes given how many seem to be champing at the bit to get one (myself included)

sloping tank version ... i need to go and lie down

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sidmouth said:

they should sell like hot cakes

Although a fair number will already have the original version and the Mitchell and Shepherd kits are good as well. It's my favourite class but I probably wont be getting another one. 

Will actually be an interesting test for sales of slightly more expensive locos after Heljan's GWR steam efforts have seemed not to fly off the shelves. Hopefully it does well.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Although a fair number will already have the original version and the Mitchell and Shepherd kits are good as well. It's my favourite class but I probably wont be getting another one. 

Will actually be an interesting test for sales of slightly more expensive locos after Heljan's GWR steam efforts have seemed not to fly off the shelves. Hopefully it does well.

Fair point. however , were it not for the likes of Dapol making affordable RTR I wouldn't be in O gauge . I can just about manage a wagon but building a £400+ loco kit with my botching abilities is a risk too far and I suspect there are many like me hence why I suspect this will sell and sell well

at the risk of straying off topic it would be interesting to know how Heljan and Dapol compare on production size . I also suspect Heljan's reputation preceded them and at an even higher price point questionable design and quality may have deterred many (myself included) . Even at the heavily discounted amount on offer I still can't  raise the enthusiasm to buy one

• Agree 3

17 minutes ago, sidmouth said:

Fair point. however , were it not for the likes of Dapol making affordable RTR I wouldn't be in O gauge . I can just about manage a wagon but building a £400+ loco kit with my botching abilities is a risk too far and I suspect there are many like me hence why I suspect this will sell and sell well

at the risk of straying off topic it would be interesting to know how Heljan and Dapol compare on production size . I also suspect Heljan's reputation preceded them and at an even higher price point questionable design and quality may have deterred many (myself included) . Even at the heavily discounted amount on offer I still can't  raise the enthusiasm to buy one

I think both these points are true. I hope the 45xx will do well and I should think it will.

In relation to the latter point, the provisional price being quoted by retailers who have the 45xx listed already is about the same as the discounted price available from some for the Heljan 43xx. For the price, I’d have more confidence in the Dapol.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Calidore said:

I think both these points are true. I hope the 45xx will do well and I should think it will.

In relation to the latter point, the provisional price being quoted by retailers who have the 45xx listed already is about the same as the discounted price available from some for the Heljan 43xx. For the price, I’d have more confidence in the Dapol.

My mogul is not as smooth as my Dapol tank locos but at 425 now, is pretty good for its size and obviously separate tender toolings. From what I've seen, the new Dapol bubble car takes off with a jerk, so im a bit wary of that at present and you do have to judge each model on it's own merits, not just the perception of each company.

I think 400 plus is a different proposition to under 200 though - it just makes the difference between impulse buying (and worst case selling again on eBay) and thinking about it!

Size might also be a factor. You need room for sensible trains for both Heljan locos. Even a 45xx and 2 coaches is a big jump from a 14xx and one.

We'll see eventually!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

On 05/09/2021 at 09:33, norman said:

My Dapol bubble car runs smoothly on analogue DC and on DCC and is a excellent model. I'm just waiting for the release of the class 121 now, they should be available pretty soon.

mine is a little jerky , like a tightness on half a revolution at slow speed . once notched up purrs along

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

From an email update from Hattons just now:

Hattons - Lionheart Trains by Dapol LHT-S-4501 

Class 45xx 'Small Prairie' 2-6-2T 4555 in Great Western green £435.48

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between April 2022 & June 2022

Edited by PMP99
Correct spelling
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I have had a search around but cannot find any new release date info.

Are you putting in an advance order? I know you are keen to have one of these locos.

Cheers, Ade.

I've had an order with Tower models for 2+ years. Doesn't really matter when it arrives as the layout it will go on is years off completion. I just hope it will be worth the wait.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/02/2022 at 13:13, Adrian Stevenson said:

I have had a search around but cannot find any new release date info.

Are you putting in an advance order? I know you are keen to have one of these locos.

Cheers, Ade.

Yes I have said I'd have one from my local model shop.

If I live long enough !!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tower Models website news 06-03-22:

"At Kettering show at the weekend Dapol told us of the progress with the long awaited 45xx Prairie. They hope to have the test samples around May, assuming these are all okay they then have suggested the end of July as a release date for the basic models with the sound fitting being done here in the UK."

We'll see!

Keith

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

Based on Dapol's current guidance it looks like their 2022 production sequence for O gauge locos will be Banana railcar/B4/45xx/Jinty/Terrier. 

Is the Lionheart branded stuff made in the same factory that Dapol use, post merger?

Edited by Hal Nail

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Lionheart Trains recently advised me that production samples of the 45xx are on the way and to expect an announcement and pictures very soon.

Rails of Sheffield emailed me yesterday suggesting that these should be available June/July which sounds sooner than I would expect.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

So we may well see 45xx production samples at the GOG Doncaster show on Saturday.

Just out of interest, are production samples sent primarily so punters can see before ordering and production is already ploughing ahead by the time they arrive, or are they sent for the manufacturer to approve production, which therefore only starts after that?

Edited by Hal Nail

On 07/06/2022 at 08:56, Hal Nail said:

Just out of interest, are production samples sent primarily so punters can see before ordering and production is already ploughing ahead by the time they arrive, or are they sent for the manufacturer to approve production, which therefore only starts after that?

Essentially a production sample is built using the final manufacturing tooling and assembly tooling that would be used in the actual production run. All components will be from final tooling, any electrical items will be from the same bin as the full production run. Any production sample should be “saleable”  - no different than the item that ends up on your local model shop’s shelf. It’s a way of the company checking that they will be getting what they ordered from the supplier and also gives the supplier a chance to fettle any manufacturing issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1