Dapol Mark 1 coaches?

Kubes

A poster on the Gauge 0 Guild forum has said that Dapol had details at Warley of a forthcoming range of Mk1 coaches. Can anyone corroborate this? Also some suggestion of S&D six wheelers which seems a bit left field for a major manufacturer.

Kubes

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, something to do with lights I guess.  I could see it for directional lights, but these coaches require saloon lighting which is constant and can be done by picking up power from the track.  Perhaps tail lamp?

John

Saloon lighting should not be constant. Night trains, parked in carriage sidings,.....

Well that makes me feel better, sounds like I'm not alone in wondering about the DCC option.

John

Perhaps Dapol could have made it clearer, DCC controlled lighting is only implied and quite often it is noted that Dapol's logic does not always follow that of us mere mortals.

Although I am somewhat a luddite where these things are concerned, lets hope that the additional (and perhaps unnecessary) complex wiring and electronics required for DCC in a coach does not create further QC problems.

Dapol do seem to be employing excessive experimentation with new items, when perhaps more attention to other, more basic details might result in significantly less after-sales problems #simpleisbetterdapol ?

Most interesting - it is about time somebody cleaned up in this area.

I've got to say this dilution is a shame for the smaller supplier Darstaed as they seem to have been trying their best on their similar project.

I wonder if the BRBlue ones will have the raised window frames around the edges? - I imagine Yes as they seem to be going to a high level of detail.

Guest Q663389

Most interesting - it is about time somebody cleaned up in this area.

I've got to say this dilution is a shame for the smaller supplier Darstaed as they seem to have been trying their best on their similar project.

I wonder if the BRBlue ones will have the raised window frames around the edges? - I imagine Yes as they seem to be going to a high level of detail.

If you read the brochure, I believe it states they are doing the first batch. This will be without window frames which were retro fitted later due to the extensive corrosion issues. The initial batch will have BR MkI bogies. I am guessing Commonwealth will be coming later with the upgraded window frames. Not sure why they are doing blue/grey at this time.

A surprising and very welcome announcement! Looking forward to more details....and maybe have to plan an extra carriage siding somehow!

Agree with comments about blue/grey with flush windows being an unusual option, I always thought that any remaining flush window coaches would be modified at time of repainting into this livery? However, evidence may prove otherwise.

A further thought is that Heljan seem to have sold a fair amount of BR blue diesels, Mk2 coaches sometime for this market?

Anyway, congratulations and good luck Dapol / Lionheart

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the DCC option will allow you to switch on and off any internal lighting, I wonder if the brake option will have tail lights like the B set

Given that they are all the same price, they should have a tail-light option on all vehicles. Unlike the B set, no guarantee that a brake end will be at the rear of the train.

Well considering Dapol have done a grand job with their B set I think we are in for a very acccurate BR Mk1at and a very keen price

Hopefully as Steve has mentioned above a BG may not be far behind. I never bought into the Heljan Mk1 range for obvious reasons so this is great news from Dapol

A 37/4 is also coming from Heljan about the same time better start saving

Edited by Silverstreak

A word of warning about these coaches, the first batch (according to Dapol's sales admin manager) are to be as per the original, that is without the raised beading around doors and windows that BR had to use to rectify the corrosion problems that plauged the early life of these coaches.  The second batch WILL have these mods.

That means you need to be careful about which ones you buy.  Anyone modelling the 'blue/grey' era (certainly anything in the 70s) will need to wait for the second batch.  The 'blood & custard' should be OK with the first batch and I suppose you can pick 'n' mix with the maroon ones :good: .

That said, they do look nice and hopefully will be more accurate than the Heljan offering and the 'close coupling' looks to be an advance (although I have my own hook & bar system that ensures this anyway) and at £199 per coach they are also cheaper than Heljan - win-win :sungum: