Dapol Mark 1 coaches?

Kubes

Guest Q663389

The original window style lasted for quite a long time.

I would be interested in knowing what "quite a long time" means ?. From what I have read the corrosion was quite extensive within two years of introduction of these coaches. I would guess a repaint every seven years. Does anyone know when the production was changed to window inserts. Could the retro-fits have started as early as 53 or 54 ?.

Whilst searching through pictures for reference shots for my recent Easy Build commissions I didn’t come across any with the newer window surrounds ( circa 60 63 ) that also included a batch of Firsts on B4 Bogies and BCK on Commonwealth bogies.

Guest Q663389

I'd be surprised if the Parkin book did not address this. (I haven't got a copy.)

Yes, I believe you are correct. Unfortunately I sold my copy some years back.

Regards,

Alan

According to Parkin "Most stock built from lot 30573 (1960) onwards had these (i.e. externally fitted aluminium window frames) from new and they were regularly fitted as replacements on older coaches".

I'm looking forward to seeing the Dapol Mk1's and hope they sell well. Perhaps that might encourage them to do a BG and other NPCS.  I'm still hoping someone will do a B.R Standard cattle van - how about it Dapol?  Or better still, Minerva??  I'd happily even settle for a kit!

Ray.

Guest Q663389

Shocking that there's no BR cattle wagon in either kit or RTR form.  Seems to be a hole just crying out to be filled.

John

Hi John,

I believe the Slater 's GWR one may be suitable for adapting to a BR one. A bit of work. I did a batch many years ago for a friend.

Regards,

Alan

The original window style lasted for quite a long time.

Many coaches never received replacement windows at all and carried the original flush ones their whole lives until being disposed of in the mid-to-late seventies. Some vehicles lasted in service well into the eighties before being withdrawn with original flush windows still fitted.

I trawled through the Vintage Carriages Trust Carriage Survey website this evening and found quite a few examples of preserved vehicles which have eluded modification and still retain their original flush windows. I have listed a few of them below (I was concentrating on carriages built 1954-57). The withdrawal/preservation dates given on the website may be a bit sketchy but they are good enough to prove that there were early vehicles with unmodified windows owned by BR well into the Rail Blue era.

TSO 4199 built 1956 (lot. 30172, York), acquired for preservation 1982, at East Lancs Rly.

TSO 4215 built 1956 (lot. 30172, York), acquired for preservation 1983, at Bo'ness (noted for having original windows here).

TSO 4325 built 1956 (lot. 30207, BRCW), acquired for static use at Huddersfield station 1984.

SK 25362 built 1957 (lot 30349, Wolverton), acquired for preservation 1989, at Barrow Hill.

CK 15928 built 1956 (lot 30317, Wolverton), acquired for preservation 1988?, at East Lancs Rly (another photo on Wikimedia).

BSK 34393 built 1954 (lot 30074, Wolverton), acquired for preservation 1974, at Great Central Rly.

BSK 34562 built 1955 (lot 30095, Wolverton), acquired for preservation 1974, at Severn Valley Rly.

BSK 34676 built 1955 (lot 30156, Wolverton), acquired for preservation 1986, at Strathspey Rly.

Of course it's true that the majority of early mk1 coaches were converted with replacement raised aluminium window frames (which Dapol have said they will produce in the future) but some of the original design represented by this first batch from Dapol certainly did last long into the blue & grey period so it would be appropriate to run a mixture of the two different window styles, whatever the livery.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Possibility of GUV, BG and CCT to follow if these are successful!

I’m sure they will be a popular choice as well

I always thought Heljan should have brought out a CCT to go with the similar style GUV.

I'm not sure more GUV's would be the best move as the Heljan model is pretty decent I believe yet there still seems to be excess supply available in many shops/usual retailers.

You couldn't blame Lionheart for bringing out a BG though - that would make sense - it will be interesting to see how this new coupling system works too

it will be interesting to see how this new coupling system works too

It looks pretty much like the close coupling system used by Bachmann et al in 00, just scaled up a bit and protruding just below the buffer beam so the buckeye (I presume) is near or at prototype height.

Edited by frobisher

Most interesting - it is about time somebody cleaned up in this area.

I've got to say this dilution is a shame for the smaller supplier Darstaed as they seem to have been trying their best on their similar project.

I wonder if the BRBlue ones will have the raised window frames around the edges? - I imagine Yes as they seem to be going to a high level of detail.

Dear Deltic, thank you for your post.

Thank you or choosing the"Durham' as it is the alma mater of our daughter.

Regarding the observation that another company also brings out the MK1s is not a big problem for us. Our foray into 2-r FS is a modest one and some customers prefer brass etched bodies rather than plastic so there is something affordable available for all tastes which is good for the hobby. Darstaed celebrated its 50th anniversary last year and we are in for the long haul.

We envisage to complete the production run of the 12 different coaches in all six liveries by mid-2018 so all who wish to run full rakes will be satisfied.

Would there be a requirement for a rerun of some models then this will be done rather quickly as we do not depend on others.

In case improvements are desired we will implement them and send the components to our customers according to the Volkswagen Beetle principle (usually free of charge) so that the models are always updated.

Cheers,

Andries

Edited by Darstaed
  • Like 8

I looked at the chocolate and cream production version for sale on the Ellis Clarke stand at the Warley show and whilst they looked very nice the door handles and other small items are painted on and not individual items. Shame really as they would have finished the models off nicley.

The rest of it was very nice. I have the blood and custard version on order but may delay delivery to see what the Dapol Lionheart ones are like. I suspect that they will have individual handles etc.

Dear Deltic, thank you for your post.

Thank you or choosing the"Durham' as it is the alma mater of our daughter.

Regarding the observation that another company also brings out the MK1s is not a big problem for us. Our foray into 2-r FS is a modest one and some customers prefer brass etched bodies rather than plastic so there is something affordable available for all tastes which is good for the hobby. Darstaed celebrated its 50th anniversary last year and we are in for the long haul.

We envisage to complete the production run of the 12 different coaches in all six liveries by mid-2018 so all who wish to run full rakes will be satisfied.

Would there be a requirement for a rerun of some models then this will be done rather quickly as we do not depend on others.

In case improvements are desired we will implement them and send the components to our customers according to the Volkswagen Beetle principle (usually free of charge) so that the models are always updated.

Cheers,

Andries

Hi John,

I believe the Slater 's GWR one may be suitable for adapting to a BR one. A bit of work. I did a batch many years ago for a friend.

Regards,

Alan

That's what I'm doing for the BR version I produce and here's a link to a photo of it. Once I get back into modelling at some point will convert the Parkside SR into the Bulleid/BR version.

https://flic.kr/p/Zc98cS

Regards

Michael

Ps I also produce MK1's RTR and kits

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was looking at Tower Models section on these today.  Due later in 2018 it says.  I notice that there are two versions - basic and DCC fitted.  The delta price is pretty steep ~ 30.00.  This will include the lights and decoder I assume.  I suppose DCC has to do with lighting and I wonder if the price difference is worth it.

John

• 4 months later...

I wonder when BR suburbans will appear in O?

Ideal for Hayling Island trains.

From the Ellis Clark Website :-

We are now pleased to announce the next Darstaed finescale coach project, exclusively for sale only through ourselves, the Mk1 Suburban.

These newly tooled coaches will be priced at £169 and are now available to pre-order through the website, by email or over the phone.

We are hoping for these coaches to be available quarter 4 of this year (2018)

These coaches will be available from ourselves in maroon (lined and unlined), crimson, and blue.

The following coach types will be available to order:

Composite

Composite (with lavatory)

Brake Second

Open Second

Second

Second (with lavatory)

These coaches will be available at a price of £169 each.

There are Photographs on their website,but I have forgotten how to upload to this Site.

From the Ellis Clark Website :-

We are now pleased to announce the next Darstaed finescale coach project, exclusively for sale only through ourselves, the Mk1 Suburban.

These newly tooled coaches will be priced at £169 and are now available to pre-order through the website, by email or over the phone.

We are hoping for these coaches to be available quarter 4 of this year (2018)

These coaches will be available from ourselves in maroon (lined and unlined), crimson, and blue.

The following coach types will be available to order:

Composite

Composite (with lavatory)

Brake Second

Open Second

Second

Second (with lavatory)

These coaches will be available at a price of £169 each.

There are Photographs on their website,but I have forgotten how to upload to this Site.

Thanks for the tip.  Just need to browse pictures and pick a suitable coach.