Dapol Mark 1 coaches?

Kubes

7 minutes ago, SVR C & W said:

The frames also caused their own problems. You've got aluminum frames with soft steel rivets into galvanised steel. If the rubber seal around the window isn't bedded in properly the frames held the water and rotted the corners.

Agreed. BR didn't help themselves did they LOL! Dissimilar materials were always going to be problematic - the cure became a further problem.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Agreed. BR didn't help themselves did they LOL! Dissimilar materials were always going to be problematic - the cure became a further problem.

Having just re-bedded a mark 1 CK. We have added a modern silicone sealant between the two metals and a better window seal material, which should prolong the life of both the frame and skin. We are now reaping the benefits of modern materials and techniques that BR didn't have in 1951.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SVR C & W said:

Having just re-bedded a mark 1 CK. We have added a modern silicone sealant between the two metals and a better window seal material, which should prolong the life of both the frame and skin. We are now reaping the benefits of modern materials and techniques that BR didn't have in 1951.

True! But at times they didn't help themselves, in the aviation industry et al, the issues with dissimilar materials was well known about years ago. Having said that, in BRs defence IIRC, steel qlty for the MK1s was dire!

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

True! But at times they didn't help themselves, in the aviation industry et al, the issues with dissimilar materials was well known about years ago. Having said that, in BRs defence IIRC, steel qlty for the MK1s was dire!

Morris Minor Convertibles have an aluminium roof to the rear (steel over the driver/front passenger). Separated by a rubber strip to prevent the dissimilar metal reaction. This was from 1950.

An upside of this is the roof panel can be used as a great radio aerial! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

That's true the MM did, well remembered, a quirky solution so as to enable standardisation.

My Dad still has his. I forget when he told me about it but it would have been over 30 years ago. So why can't I remember 10 minutes ago?!

• Friendly/supportive 1

A look at some of the latest models and prototypes from Dapol, filmed on their Roadshow Stand at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2019. Highlights included painted samples of the all new GWR 'Mogul' 2-6-0's in 00,  GWR 1400 Class 0-4-2T in 0 Gauge, and the first EP the eagerly anticipated British Rail Mk1's in 0 Gauge, as well as many other exciting developments cross the range.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 5

On 10/12/2019 at 18:33, SDJR7F88 said:

A look at some of the latest models and prototypes from Dapol, filmed on their Roadshow Stand at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2019. Highlights included painted samples of the all new GWR 'Mogul' 2-6-0's in 00,  GWR 1400 Class 0-4-2T in 0 Gauge, and the first EP the eagerly anticipated British Rail Mk1's in 0 Gauge, as well as many other exciting developments cross the range.
Hope you enjoy!

Can anyone definitively state that Dapol will be making the Eg. BR Blue & Grey MK1s, with outer window frames - please.

Thanks for that video.  Dapol really put on a good show from what I could see.  Lots of mouthwatering models.  The Mk1s look great.   I really would like to see more steam from Dapol (or anyone for that matter) that is NOT GWR.

Off topic but wondering why Bachmann has not dipped toes into the affordable O gauge playground. (I know they had some brass stuff but that's not what I mean).

John

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Can anyone definitively state that Dapol will be making the Eg. BR Blue & Grey MK1s, with outer window frames - please.

Was reported that their rep had said they would done be in a second batch back on the first page, 28 Nov 17.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, wychcan said:

Having spoke to a gentleman on the Dapol stand on Saturday at the Kettering O gauge meet, he suggested the coaches would likely now appear in the Autumn. 

I would imagine the coronavirus has affected most production in China and O gauge being a very small market am not surprised.

4 hours ago, wychcan said:

Having spoke to a gentleman on the Dapol stand on Saturday at the Kettering O gauge meet, he suggested the coaches would likely now appear in the Autumn. 

They’ve asked for orders on this months order slips, good to see retailers kept in the loop again...

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for this intel.  Very disappointing that Dapol has not whetted our appetites with any updates or photographs.  Having said that I am sure that they will be worth the wait when they do arrive - I reminding myself that grumbles about the production delays for the 08 evaporated once the superb model was finally released and gracing layouts (and shelves and planks) up and down the country.

PM

2 hours ago, uk_pm said:

Thank you all for this intel.  Very disappointing that Dapol has not whetted our appetites with any updates or photographs.  Having said that I am sure that they will be worth the wait when they do arrive - I reminding myself that grumbles about the production delays for the 08 evaporated once the superb model was finally released and gracing layouts (and shelves and planks) up and down the country.

PM

At this rate Heljans Mk 2s will be here before those Mk 1s!!

• Funny 1

On 09/03/2020 at 19:04, uk_pm said:

PM

We’re still awaiting for the sound models, latest info is they haven’t even started the fitment process.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/08/2019 at 20:48, coeurdelyon said:

Hi Steph,

Thank you for your interest in the blue grey MK1 decorations. We have tooled both original build and later build with window and door beading's, we shall release the original models first, but hopefully the later version will not be too far behind

Regards, Richard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1