Dapol Mark 1 coaches?

Kubes

12 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Thanks HN - A bit strange that the blue grey was applied to an early version though, unless it was to check a slightly more complex livery application?

But RWs comments raise another issue. Not all, but the very last variants, had the 'door beading', ergo many had the reinforced/repaired window frames w/o door frame reinforcement/repairs. Therefore are LH going to tool for all three variants? Very cool if they are, but will such be appreciated by the masses and/or financially viable?

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Thanks HN - A bit strange that the blue grey was applied to an early version though, unless it was to check a slightly more complex livery application?

Around the same time as that comment I quoted, people stated the early ones did get blue grey. 

Besides which its fairly standard practice to test livery applications on whatever version they have available at the time, which in this case would speed up the second batch if they've already agreed the livery when the tooling is signed off.

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Around the same time as that comment I quoted, people stated the early ones did get blue grey. 

Besides which its fairly standard practice to test livery applications on whatever version they have available at the time, which in this case would speed up the second batch if they've already agreed the livery when the tooling is signed off.

My understanding was that corrosion was so bad that all variants ended up with window modifications (I guess that there could be exceptions to the rule - photographic evidence is best though). Ergo whilst early variants may have ended up with BG livery, the windows would have been modified by that time. Depends on photos available I guess, ie to prove or disprove such.

10 minutes ago, steam69 said:

There are or were many examples in preservation that have the original windows, they were just patched by BR with new sections let in,

Interesting, any photos of such vehicles in service? Eg blue grey and unmodified windows from that era?

I'm always wary of 'evidence' from heritage railways, restoration isn't always indicative of vehicles 'in service' from the era.

26 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Interesting, any photos of such vehicles in service? Eg blue grey and unmodified windows from that era?

I'm always wary of 'evidence' from heritage railways, restoration isn't always indicative of vehicles 'in service' from the era.

By the time the coaches entered preservation they were all in blue grey livery and the railway I worked on didn't back date them - that would be madness as the early versions let water in as a matter of course, many of the early versions were scrapped when the later ones became available.

On 13/06/2020 at 23:17, steam69 said:

By the time the coaches entered preservation they were all in blue grey livery and the railway I worked on didn't back date them - that would be madness as the early versions let water in as a matter of course, many of the early versions were scrapped when the later ones became available.

Interesting - you didn't make that clear in your previous post - indeed madness. Shame the photographic evidence doesn't highlight such much of the time. Tacit knowledge fades over time for various reasons, so photographs are a useful resource when dated etc.

16 hours ago, uk_pm said:

I think they look terrific - the first RTR Mk 1 coach to look correct - and I love the interior detail.  An absolutely invaluable addition to the range. 

PM 

They do, hopefully being LH the quality control and build quality will be up to standard. There's been so many near misses with certain RTR versions. These look promising.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be waiting for the later windows before buying my blue & grey ones. In the late 70's/80's (my BR blue period) there were very few Mk1's with the old windows. I have seen a few photos though when doing previous research (sorry CME & Bottle Washer but I haven't got a photo link for you but there were a few around (during late 70's/80's) - only a few)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/06/2020 at 22:05, deltic17 said:

I will be waiting for the later windows before buying my blue & grey ones. In the late 70's/80's (my BR blue period) there were very few Mk1's with the old windows. I have seen a few photos though when doing previous research (sorry CME & Bottle Washer but I haven't got a photo link for you but there were a few around (during late 70's/80's) - only a few)

Thanks D17, every day is a school day.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like to see an off switch for the lights so you can run the analogue version on a dcc track or a dcc version on analogue track.

I have not got an 0 gauge layout of my own and one club layout is analogue and the other is dcc.

Dapol has told me that the analogue version will not run on a dcc track.

If the DC version will run on DCC track I cannot understand why Dapol are producing a DCC version. I thought the current on DC track was up to 12 volts DC whereas the current on DCC is a continuous current of 16 volts AC which might blow the lights on a DC version.  This is the only issue which is preventing me from ordering one as the coaches look superb.

My understanding of the difference between the analogue and dcc versions is that all the lights on the analogue version will come on whenever the current is applied through the rails on digital or analogue track.

On the digital version on digital track it may be possible to turn the lights on or off separately on the guard's and passenger compartments and the tail lights when the current is applied.

I would be grateful for clarification on this point.  I have tried contacting Dapol with a limited amount of success,

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

My understanding of the difference between the analogue and dcc versions is that all the lights on the analogue version will come on whenever the current is applied through the rails on digital or analogue track.

On the digital version on digital track it may be possible to turn the lights on or off separately on the guard's and passenger compartments and the tail lights when the current is applied.

I would be grateful for clarification on this point.  I have tried contacting Dapol with a limited amount of success,

if that is the case, and it may be, how would your proposed switch help? Analogue would seem to be fine either way, and you wouldn't expect DCC functions to work on analogue track?

• Agree 1

Thank you.  I am trying to find out if I can run an analogue MK1 on a digital track without damaging the model as I have not got my own layout and one club layout is analogue and the other is digital.  Ideally I would buy a coach without lights that can be run on either track.  

It looks like I can run an analogue Mk1 on either analogue or digital track and the lights would be on all the time.  If there was an off switch in the coach I could run it without lights as the lights are not normally on during daylight on the prototype.

• 3 months later...
On 28/11/2020 at 08:26, Robin Brasher said:

Did you ever get confirmation of this please Robin?

11 hours ago, Beclawat said:

No.  My main layout is 00 gauge and I have some Hornby Mk1 coaches with lights which operate on both analogue and dcc. 

I have not got an 0 gauge layout and I have just got a couple of wagons. One club has an analogue layout and another has a large dcc layout. I would like to buy some Dapol Mk1 coaches but I don't want to spend over £300 on the dcc versions if running on dcc damages the lights or even more money on the dcc versions if they don't work on analogue.

I think my best option would be to wait until some of the other club members buy some and they can demonstrate the difference between the analogue and dcc versions or to wait until someone reviews the coaches on this site.  Perhaps the Peco  Technical Advice Bureau may be able to help.  I was hoping to get more than a couple of word's advice from Dapol to explain why there are separate dcc and analogue versions as Dapol stands to lose a sale.

9 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

No.  My main layout is 00 gauge and I have some Hornby Mk1 coaches with lights which operate on both analogue and dcc. 

I have not got an 0 gauge layout and I have just got a couple of wagons. One club has an analogue layout and another has a large dcc layout. I would like to buy some Dapol Mk1 coaches but I don't want to spend over £300 on the dcc versions if running on dcc damages the lights or even more money on the dcc versions if they don't work on analogue.

I think my best option would be to wait until some of the other club members buy some and they can demonstrate the difference between the analogue and dcc versions or to wait until someone reviews the coaches on this site.  Perhaps the Peco  Technical Advice Bureau may be able to help.  I was hoping to get more than a couple of word's advice from Dapol to explain why there are separate dcc and analogue versions as Dapol stands to lose a sale.

Robin, I phoned Dapol this afternoon to check this. I was told that DC coaches are fine on DCC, just that there will be no control over the lights once the coach is on the track. The DCC coaches just add the ability to control the lights remotely.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/03/2021 at 20:17, Beclawat said:

Thank you Beclawat and Happy Hippo.  I also received the same information from Hattons' chat line.  

You will be pleased to see that 

7P-001-003 Mk1 BSK brake 2nd corridor S34155 in BR green &

7p-001-202 Mk1 SK second corridor S24169 in BR green 

are now available with some other numbered and unnumbered versions for £169.15 each from Hattons and will soon be on their way to me.

• Like 1