Dapol Mark 1 coaches?

Kubes

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bartb said:

Just recieved my first MK1 coach in Crimson and Cream Un-numbered. Now I want to number it in Southern Region, so any idea's about where i can get decals for it . thanks in advance

A number of people have gone for this option:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=4129

8 ready-made coach numbers of your choice incl prefix/suffix (if applicable), any colour you like, and you also get a spare of each. Long since gone are the days of having to cut out and line up individual numbers.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just received my first pair of these coaches.

it’s been mentioned by a couple of other folks here but the squared off area around the Windows! It ruins the whole coach for me - especially highlighted in Crimson and cream. See photo attached. I personally find this ridiculous.

image.jpg

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, seeseerider said:

it’s been mentioned by a couple of other folks here but the squared off area around the Windows! It ruins the whole coach for me - especially highlighted in Crimson and cream. See photo attached. I personally find this ridiculous.

image.jpg

It is a great shame - tooling for the later window frames (perhaps from an etch or thin plastic moulding?). The prototype has some slight recesses around the window on early variants - but nothing like that.

1 hour ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

It is a great shame - tooling for the later window frames (perhaps from an etch or thin plastic moulding?). The prototype has some slight recesses around the window on early variants - but nothing like that.

Yes Sir. It’s just rather odd isn’t it, given the effort they‘ve made elsewhere on the model. They were putting in reading lights and luggage racks on the inside, they must have spent a great deal of time on the corridor connections,  but they were willing to leave these distinct recesses, distinct sharp lines right on the outside - which were never there, which our trained eyes immediately get drawn to. It must be about the planning for the later windows, as you say. Still Most odd in this larger scale. No more orders of the original window variant I fear. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

There is a little pressing in the body side which I assume is because the glass is flat, and limited to the area of the main pane of glass, but nowhere near anything Dapol have put there. Glad I’m waiting for the Mk2’s, which hopefully will have all the couplers at the right height.

D51F7498-6DC9-4113-B3BE-51C23078D26A.jpeg.cab8440bf7ee67f39881d63383bfd885.jpeg

2C2DFD57-BF9F-40B8-985F-8CD8DA0A42C9.jpeg.2b164e863dbb2929fc921ba1e670d746.jpeg

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Has any one compared the Dapol Mk1 with an Easybuild example? 
I’m building up a set in chocolate and cream for Sonning and would like a dining pair in the set, I’m not sure how feasible it will be for Dapol to do anything other than an RMB as catering vehicles have never been the best sellers in model form. 
so it maybe an Easybuild set or possibly a kit built ex GW dining pair 

Edited by steve fay
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve

I acquired my first Dapol Mk 1s at the weekend and, aside from being extremely impressed with them overall, can report that they are a perfect match for my Easybuild RBR and FO (and, indeed, my JLTRT BG).  I’m separated from my layout until the weekend, but will endeavour to provide some photographic evidence for you then.

Peter

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, uk_pm said:

Hi Steve

I acquired my first Dapol Mk 1s at the weekend and, aside from being extremely impressed with them overall, can report that they are a perfect match for my Easybuild RBR and FO (and, indeed, my JLTRT BG).  I’m separated from my layout until the weekend, but will endeavour to provide some photographic evidence for you then.

Peter

Many Thanks Peter 

much appreciated 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

I couldnt find any box opening videos so did one myself - it be useful to someone.

Useful little video, ta! Those window depressions barely show compared to the photos further up. I'd like to see some in the flesh for myself but then there are quite a lot of things id like to be doing! 

• RMweb Gold

As promised, pics of an Easy Build RBR sandwiched between two Lionheart SKs.  The profile on both is identical, as is ride and overall height.  My view is you can easily mix and match to form your perfect rake. The only thing to watch is coupling height, which is lower that the prototype on the Lionheart coaches (but which obviously does not detract when the coaches are coupled, since it cannot be seen).

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, uk_pm said:

As promised, pics of an Easy Build RBR sandwiched between two Lionheart SKs.  The profile on both is identical, as is ride and overall height.  My view is you can easily mix and match to form your perfect rake. The only thing to watch is coupling height, which is lower that the prototype on the Lionheart coaches (but which obviously does not detract when the coaches are coupled, since it cannot be seen).

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

Useful. The Dapol windows are much higher up which explains why the Easy Build have always looked a bit "top heavy" to me though I couldnt quite put a finger on why before.

On 17/07/2021 at 03:35, seeseerider said:

image.jpg

Well, looking at this dirty blue grey version, whilst slightly deeper on the Dapol coach, doesn’t look too different 

AD2B1508-377F-4615-A332-5E09755867E1.jpeg.de0225812144a26d1cf0a9bcf671306f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/08/2021 at 10:30, uk_pm said:

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

Many Thanks for that, yes I agree they look great together, I think I’ll be adding an Easybuild dining set to my chocolate and cream set. 

• Like 2

On 02/08/2021 at 03:38, 47606odin said:

Well, looking at this dirty blue grey version, whilst slightly deeper on the Dapol coach, doesn’t look too different 

AD2B1508-377F-4615-A332-5E09755867E1.jpeg.de0225812144a26d1cf0a9bcf671306f.jpeg

Good find!

That's pretty grubby for passenger coaching stock, but it highlights the window recess (when zoomed in) quite well (as does the muck and detritus). Although it looks as though the door shuts/hinge area has had reinforcement modifications to it (but not the windows).

Out of interest any idea of the date of the photo? As that looks like one of the rarer, unmodified, windows on, obviously, blue/grey stock.

ATB,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I hope that you fellows don't mind, I've placed the two most obvious photos next to one another for the purposes of comparison.

Every day is a school day! Looks like Richard at Lionheart/Dapol has been very observant, plus has allowed for the repair frames? In reality to aging MK1 eyeballs beauty is in the eye of the beholder when viewing the model in close up etc. Sometimes some things are better left un-modelled, Eg ripples on a ship's hull, ripples on a diesel loco body? Each to their own though I guess. It's interesting to learn about these things.

image.778219aaaaf2dd13c25a0cd7d5c6b52b(2).jpg

AD2B1508-377F-4615-A332-5E09755867E1.jpeg.de0225812144a26d1cf0a9bcf671306f(1).jpg

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1