Dapol Mark 1 coaches?

Kubes

10 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

That's an oddball! Good find.

From what I can tell the Dapol/LH MK1's all have moulded on end steps, shame they weren't separate add on's as fairly early on end steps started to be removed to varying degrees. Unless of course someone knows otherwise in both prototype and model (Dapol) form?

Looking at the pics on the Hattons website, the steps (correctly) aren't there on the blue grey variant?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, 37114 said:

Looking at the pics on the Hattons website, the steps (correctly) aren't there on the blue grey variant?

Sounds like potential for a cut and shut to get the best of both then - Dapol's body, interior, roof, underframe and wheels and Heljan's missing steps :)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Funny 1

On 12/09/2021 at 21:41, Hal Nail said:

Was back today so took a photo of the TSO. Interesting it has had the extra strips added either side of the doors and commonwealth bogies but retained it's original windows (presumably when in blue grey too)

20210912_160627.jpg.998a425c084273677616d6c214b4f554.jpg

Its also got the horizontal replacement section along the bottom that is a regular rustrap on these coaches and i remember on 55000 [bubblecar] some years ago.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Could anyone with the chocolate and cream and/or crimson and cream versions confirm what colour the interior and seats are please? I've seen maroon from elsewhere on this thread.

I have been toying with a rake but stalling over livery since all three are appropriate for my 1958 era. It's just occured to me that me if I buy half in one livery and half in another, I can swap the sides around, (which I'm pretty sure are separate mouldings) and end up with a reversible set. Ideally though, I'd do it so the interiors are the same if poss.

Ta

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2021 at 03:21, Hal Nail said:

Could anyone with the chocolate and cream and/or crimson and cream versions confirm what colour the interior and seats are please? I've seen maroon from elsewhere on this thread.

I have been toying with a rake but stalling over livery since all three are appropriate for my 1958 era. It's just occured to me that me if I buy half in one livery and half in another, I can swap the sides around, (which I'm pretty sure are separate mouldings) and end up with a reversible set. Ideally though, I'd do it so the interiors are the same if poss.

Ta

trouble is if you swap sides around, the foot boards won’t line up if they are part of the chassis, and the toilet etc won’t match the interior etc

ignore me, you’d swap the same sides and turn the coach round

Edited by 47606odin
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

In case anyone is interested, these come apart fairly easily. The ends are lightly glued to the sides with one small screw at the bottom. Everything else was screwed. The interiors were identical.

Once I repeat with my SKs I'll have a 4 coach reversible rake of two liveries and can easily put them back to original format if i decide to sell on at any point. 

842156619_DSC_0048(2).JPG.04196e84a30c3eb9756f4c9cec8ac3a3.JPG826957673_DSC_0050(2).JPG.923e42ecb041e0a740d920fcd308c4fb.JPG1896145013_DSC_0051(2).JPG.17a64c95c5b20f3b6c03d762c36e40bf.JPG1750347883_DSC_0053(2).JPG.4560dd4d73ef39044bc446f1af2e6145.JPG

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 27/09/2021 at 20:21, Hal Nail said:

Ta

The bulkheads and corridor partition on my chocolate & cream ones are mid-brown. The seats are patterned with orange and dark brown - reminiscent of the old London Transport bus seats. The coach interiors are pretty much exactly as I remember them. (CJL)

• Thanks 1

On 17/10/2021 at 18:54, Hal Nail said:

In case anyone is interested, these come apart fairly easily. The ends are lightly glued to the sides with one small screw at the bottom. Everything else was screwed. The interiors were identical.

Once I repeat with my SKs I'll have a 4 coach reversible rake of two liveries and can easily put them back to original format if i decide to sell on at any point. 

842156619_DSC_0048(2).JPG.04196e84a30c3eb9756f4c9cec8ac3a3.JPG826957673_DSC_0050(2).JPG.923e42ecb041e0a740d920fcd308c4fb.JPG1896145013_DSC_0051(2).JPG.17a64c95c5b20f3b6c03d762c36e40bf.JPG1750347883_DSC_0053(2).JPG.4560dd4d73ef39044bc446f1af2e6145.JPG

Ingenious - that's made my day!

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Jonnyb said:

Has anyone fitted a three link coupling to a normal open second coach?

Why for, do you ask?:)

Buckeyes or magnets inboard on a train, with dummy under slung pipes would be my preference for such things, especially with gangways/vestibules etc. At the ends then, one's, preferred couplings.

Hope that helps a little.

On 17/10/2021 at 18:54, Hal Nail said:

How easy was that to do HN?

Is it easy and quick enough to facilitate weathering or would strategic masking etc be quicker?

1 hour ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Why for, do you ask?:)

Buckeyes or magnets inboard on a train, with dummy under slung pipes would be my preference for such things, especially with gangways/vestibules etc. At the ends then, one's, preferred couplings.

Hope that helps a little.

The faux Kadees fitted to these work great.  (it would have been more realistic to put these through the buffer beam instead of under)  You totally can't get at 3/screw link between coaches.  In reality, Mk1's used buckeyes between coaches.  For loco coupling the buckeye could drop down revealing a hook.

John

• Agree 2

On 17/11/2021 at 20:20, brossard said:

The faux Kadees fitted to these work great.  (it would have been more realistic to put these through the buffer beam instead of under)  You totally can't get at 3/screw link between coaches.  In reality, Mk1's used buckeyes between coaches.  For loco coupling the buckeye could drop down revealing a hook.

John

My logic was that I am going to build a shelf layout to run my few o gauge items, i was going to do this a preserved line that hasn't got very far and just wanted a single open second for the train.

This end to end will have a station at one end and a run round loop so ideally need to have a three link coupling at each end.

I hope that makes sense

• Friendly/supportive 1

52 minutes ago, Jonnyb said:

My logic was that I am going to build a shelf layout to run my few o gauge items, i was going to do this a preserved line that hasn't got very far and just wanted a single open second for the train.

This end to end will have a station at one end and a run round loop so ideally need to have a three link coupling at each end.

I hope that makes sense

For a single coach, you could add a 3 link coupling at each end for coupling to other stock.  It wouldn't be prototypical.  A screw link would look slightly better but still isn't correct.  My response above talks about what it should look like.

I posted this before:

P1010039.JPG.b223cc59ab617c4612a03cc048a3cc40.JPG

Note I cut away part of  the gangway platform in order to gain access to the hook for the coupling link.

John

• Like 1

As an alternative, why not try Dingham couplings?  I use them at the ends of fixed rakes and on individual loco hauled vehicles.  

I went to these as I was getting very frustrated with trying to couple screw link couplings to locos when close to each other and if other stock was in the way.

I find them so effective in operation.  If you've just a shelf layout, you won't be turning vehicles or locos (I assume) so these would fit the bill.

HTH.

Rod

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/11/2021 at 19:03, CME and Bottlewasher said:

How easy was that to do HN?

Is it easy and quick enough to facilitate weathering or would strategic masking etc be quicker?

Strange - I replied but its disappeared!

Very easy to take the body off as one unit - simply unscrew and lift. I extended the black on the ends to the wrap around of the sides and weathered them while I had the body off.

733706666_DSC_0028(2).JPG.49e2559bf4030948bda8017ced583065.JPG.bb4e2cdc1ff3bc10216e8356e87c809d.JPG

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 19/11/2021 at 20:18, Dmudriver said:

As an alternative, why not try Dingham couplings?  I use them at the ends of fixed rakes and on individual loco hauled vehicles.  

I went to these as I was getting very frustrated with trying to couple screw link couplings to locos when close to each other and if other stock was in the way.

I find them so effective in operation.  If you've just a shelf layout, you won't be turning vehicles or locos (I assume) so these would fit the bill.

HTH.

Rod

Hi Rod,

I'm dabbling with Dinghams, they should make shunting other stock easier too. I'm also experimenting with magnetic couplings on other coaches and some cuts of wagons too.

On 20/11/2021 at 07:36, Hal Nail said:

Strange - I replied but its disappeared!

Very easy to take the body off as one unit - simply unscrew and lift. I extended the black on the ends to the wrap around of the sides and weathered them while I had the body off.

733706666_DSC_0028(2).JPG.49e2559bf4030948bda8017ced583065.JPG.bb4e2cdc1ff3bc10216e8356e87c809d.JPG

Very nice! Thanks for the advice and the additional reply too - all appreciated. Sounds like an easy life owning and weathering them.

Can you tell me how the Battery Boxes and Voltage Regulator are attached please (glued on?).

Many thanks in advance.

On 19/11/2021 at 15:18, Dmudriver said:

HTH.

Rod

Hi Rod.  I suppose I'm being stubborn about trying to bring my couplings to a realistic standard.  After struggling with the lousy couplings for 00 for nigh on 30 years, I want to reduce the compromises for my 0 gauge stock.   While coupling 3/screw links can be fiddly, the result is quite satisfying.

That said, sometimes function does trump form.  Dingham couplings seem pretty good. 

Another point though is that in another thread, it was announced that Dingham are shutting.  Someone will fill the vacuum I'm sure.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, brossard said:

Another point though is that in another thread, it was announced that Dingham are shutting.  Someone will fill the vacuum I'm sure.

I hadn't heard that.  Maybe I should get another set in, in case I need replacements!

Rod

On 21/11/2021 at 15:05, brossard said:

Hi Rod.  I suppose I'm being stubborn about trying to bring my couplings to a realistic standard.  After struggling with the lousy couplings for 00 for nigh on 30 years, I want to reduce the compromises for my 0 gauge stock.   While coupling 3/screw links can be fiddly, the result is quite satisfying.

That said, sometimes function does trump form.  Dingham couplings seem pretty good. 

John

Agree fully with that, my health and faculties come into play now too - and even the real railways have several coupling types.

I'm not surprised re Trevor (Dinghams), like many, he, I'm sure that he wouldn't mind me saying, has had a rough two years.

20 hours ago, TimboC said:

The Gauge O Guild has arranged to take over distribution of the Dingham Autocoupler. Should be available in the GOG shop in a few weeks time.

Tim

That's excellent news Tim, the GOG fulfilling its reason for being.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Finally had a chance to compare my Lionhearts alongside a Bachmann brass BG. The dimensions of windows/sides are quite similar so not a bad match. The Bachman buffers are set higher but the actual ride height is about the same. Bachmann's roof is taller but this isn't quite as apparent to the naked eye as in the photos. The Lionhearts have much more finesse, especially the bogies - I may do an RMB conversion with commonwealths, which would allow me to cascade the spare Lionhearts to the BG.

I don't think I'll run them directly together but will hang on to the BG for my blue era parcels train rather than try and cut and shut two Lionhearts together.

20220226_151556365.jpg.8f353accf0f1aaa49b883770f858c462.jpg20220226_163921.jpg.f228e841b9f561b900403b5141e2dbbb.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 2