Dapol Mark 1 coaches?

Kubes

From the Ellis Clark Website :-

We are now pleased to announce the next Darstaed finescale coach project, exclusively for sale only through ourselves, the Mk1 Suburban.

These newly tooled coaches will be priced at £169 and are now available to pre-order through the website, by email or over the phone.

We are hoping for these coaches to be available quarter 4 of this year (2018)

These coaches will be available from ourselves in maroon (lined and unlined), crimson, and blue.

The following coach types will be available to order:

Composite

Composite (with lavatory)

Brake Second

Open Second

Second

Second (with lavatory)

These coaches will be available at a price of £169 each.

There are Photographs on their website,but I have forgotten how to upload to this Site.

A section appeared on RMweb a couple of weeks ago, not a lot of content yet perhaps because few have realized it's there http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134362-darstaed-7mm-finescale-o-gauge-br-57-mk1-suburban-coaches/

Funny, I thought this was a Dapol BR Mk1 Coach thread.

Welcome to RMweb, where things wander.

More seriously, the point was to show people where they could talk about the Mk1 Suburban so it wouldn't take over this thread (aka. known as being nice and considerate to people, you should try it).

• Like 1

whats going on inside that gangway?  looks odd. 

Better shot on the flyer they just posted to Facebook - intended for gap free running so it's designed to move as the model goes through up to R2 curves

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve,

That link doesn't lead beyond the header page Steve?

Does anyone know when the later MK1s will be released?

ATVB

CME

Thanks Steve, Link works fine now.

The link shows the header page only when I access it via a phone or tablet. However when accessed via a PC or laptop it works fine.

The link shows the header page only when I access it via a phone or tablet. However when accessed via a PC or laptop it works fine.

Yep, I think that's an issue, but I did access it via mobile last night too. Technology great ain't it?! <rolls eyes>

I wonder if a B4 bogie will be available in the future as well. RTR MK2 non aircon perhaps ?

Robert

Swap 'em out for EZBuild bogies, Shawn has served us all well for many years, it's good to put business his way, we don't want him to suffer - as others have - under Dapols' wheels, so to speak.. Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 4 weeks later...

There seems to be very little new information regarding Dapol’s new Mark 1 coaches. Was anything on show at Telford yesterday? I’ve checked the Dapol digest and there is absolutely nothing at all on the subject. If anyone has any new info, it would be appreciated

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be very little new information regarding Dapol’s new Mark 1 coaches. Was anything on show at Telford yesterday? I’ve checked the Dapol digest and there is absolutely nothing at all on the subject. If anyone has any new info, it would be appreciated

Some pictures of the Mark 1s on my Telford report - http://www.railblogs.co.uk/telford18. Had along chat with Dapol about these, first batch are due Easter time. Later versions will follow as long as these go well, including the possibility of Mark 2s.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 2

Some pictures of the Mark 1s on my Telford report - http://www.railblogs.co.uk/telford18. Had along chat with Dapol about these, first batch are due Easter time. Later versions will follow as long as these go well, including the possibility of Mark 2s.

Rich

The prospect of Mark 2’s being produced is very exciting- particularly if they look as good as these Mark 1 samples! Coaches are probably the weak link currently in O gauge, so if Dapol o come up with the goods, they could really clean up.

I wonder how they are going to finish off the windows on these Mk1's? From what I can see from photographs above of each 'window' the 4 small individual top windows frames (2 sliding on each) and then the main larger lower window look to be modelled as part of the clear perspex insert - I can only presume Dapol are going to paint these individually before insertion. I would have thought it more normal to model the window frames in full as part of the coach and then insert the perspex. Hopefully what they do looks good after painting

Did anyone manage to check the height of these Mk1's - I am hoping and praying they are the correct height - I'm sure Dapol have got it right......?

Great to hear possibilities of Mark2's. Yes please. When they say this will be dependent of how these initial Mk1's sell they hopefully need to take into account that with many people (myself included) will be holding back waiting for the later window style ie the overlay all round the edge of the frame on each window.

In answer to your first question, I suspect RW has designed the windows for finesse, being akin to the early EZ Build kits, with a crisp, clear seperate window moulding with detail. Fiddly to paint but finer than integrally moulded frames (ala Lima or Heljan?), as one also has to take into account mould release angles (and horrid prismatic windows or lack of flush glazing). I would imagine, also akin to EZB kits, that having standard apertures allows for the later modified/corrosion repair window frames too. I suspect that it might be that, excluding Darstaed sales, most folk will want MK1s with the later window surrounds?

The EPs look grand....

As I say my concern is quality control......which, tbh, on Dapol locos, is slipshod to say the least.....

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Gold

Great to hear possibilities of Mark2's. Yes please. When they say this will be dependent of how these initial Mk1's sell they hopefully need to take into account that with many people (myself included) will be holding back waiting for the later window style ie the overlay all round the edge of the frame on each window.

To be brutally honest, I doubt that such things come into business decisions in a major way.  Rightly or wrong, Dapol have started with the early ones - I took it to mean that these need to sell, cover their costs and make a profit for them to go onto do the later Mk1s and Mk2s.  If they don't, then it may well be that the 'accountants' say why are we looking at doing more of these models when the first ones didnt sell?

Having said that however, given the pricing of them, and the feature set with light bars etc .. I suspect Dapol will clear these quite quickly.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Accountants making strategic business decisions, or even tactical ones, god forbid!

It all depends on Dapol's cash flow and how many coaches are paid for before they hit UK shores I guess....looking at their gearing and books would paint a better picture.

Agree entirely look at the state of the railway system today .... all down to the accountants, who have probably never even travelled by train!

Oops, anyway back to topic!

Rich

• Like 1