Current Models Available in the Market Place today

charliepetty

• RMweb Gold

Class 104 for me please

Nice selection of liveries and timescales

Desperate to have some of these to compliment my memories as a child travelling from Stockport to Buxton in the 70s.

Ever hopefull :-)

'Class 33' We are sick of people asking for them!!!  With all the comments,  I take it smoke is out then!!!!!!

No one has even mentioned the one I like?

Charlie

Yeah, smoke is out, unless you have a way of producing the high clag fume on acceleration in 00? The tech is not there yet, so forget it.

What is the one you like? Do you have a plan that you just wanted us to confirm? We know you can turn out something special. You have proven it several times over. What will it take for you to progress something to EP (beyond asking me for £100k)?

Obviously the answer is a Class 33, but you will simply not admit it.....

• RMweb Gold

On reflection I think we need a new super detail 66. Bachmann's is tired and is now just a clothes horse for new liveries. It is arguably holding modelling back - it needs replacing so the Bachmann one can become the equivalent of the Hornby Railroad.

The real things will be around for some time so there is longevity for tooling, and GBRF and others doing lots of liveries keep the options open. They are at an age where mods and upgrades on the real thing will create more opportunities.

On reflection I think we need a new super detail 66. Bachmann's is tired and is now just a clothes horse for new liveries. It is arguably holding modelling back - it needs replacing so the Bachmann one can become the equivalent of the Hornby Railroad.

The real things will be around for some time so there is longevity for tooling, and GBRF and others doing lots of liveries keep the options open. They are at an age where mods and upgrades on the real thing will create more opportunities.

Totally agree and the "clothes horse" analogy is absolutely spot-on.  Not to mention with lots and lots of examples of quality current era freight stock that are now on the market from all of the main manufacturers (and no doubt many more to come)... and all we have to run them behind is the tired-looking Bachmann 'shed'. 

Having originally set out to model the current scene, the glaring absence of a real quality representation of the most common motive power type on the UK network has recently made me think again and instead look in more detail at the late-eighties to early-nineties period instead.  So for the time being I'll concentrate on my Hornby 60's and other loco types that I'm quite fond of, as I'm sure sooner or later someone will produce an up-to-date, all-singing, all-dancing EMD.  Looking at it this way, if people are still lapping up the Bachy 66 in five years time as they seem to be doing now... then as the saying goes... "I'll eat my hat...!"  :jester:

Edited by YesTor

Just throwing it out there but what about a decent 91? Plenty of livery choices, and with prices being fetched on eBay seems they are still wanted.

You can't really do a 91 without the accompanying MK4 coaches which whilst they would be welcomed with open arms, would be beyond Charlie's remit at the top of the thread.

• RMweb Premium

I would leave the Class 104 to Bachmann with their 57’ platform and concentrate on exploiting current platforms.

Hi Jim

I might not live long enough if I were to wait for Bachmann. On Sunday at the York show I asked about a 116 as they have just announced the 117.....I don't think that is on their radar so a 104 in the near future doesn't seem likely.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Hi Jim

I might not live long enough if I were to wait for Bachmann. On Sunday at the York show I asked about a 116 as they have just announced the 117.....I don't think that is on their radar so a 104 in the near future doesn't seem likely.

Most companies either don't comment or make negative noises about possible future products until they are ready to announce in part to not risk sales of currently available and announced products.

Which isn't to say the Bachmann will make the 116, but equally it doesn't mean they won't.

I know the original question was what current diesel LOCO models might benefit from a better, museum quality competitor, but as the discussion seems to have gone off route a bit, I wonder if there's any mileage in Revolution-Rapido-Realtrack collaborating on bringing the N gauge 320/321/322 to the OO market? I know Revolution have been slightly disappointed in the level of pre-orders for their proposed model but I suspect the OO market is a bit more robust in that respect, and with the research work having been done for the N gauge model a collaboration and sharing of data would allow Revolution to cater for their core N gauge market without getting distracted by OO gauge production, whilst Realtrack could benefit from Rapido already having much of the data to hand to allow the model to be produced more quickly.

In terms of liveries and geographical spread there is a good fit with both their railbus models and the 156, with three or four 3 car Scotrail liveries to choose from, the West Yorkshire units would complement their 14x units, and the South East, East Anglia and Midlands would allow multiple livery variations which would be seen alongside the 156 in East Anglia and the West Midlands.

I think the market is just getting used to £300+ four car units (reluctantly) so whilst I would expect a Realtrack quality 321 would be expensive, I also suspect that if the quality was right, the market would "suck it up" in sufficient numbers for some of the more popular liveries to be viable. I don't think we can assume the slow take up in N gauge is in any way indicative of how the market would be in OO gauge, so I'll just park that thought in Charlie's mental think tank to see if it hits an iceberg.

• Like 1

I know the original question was what current diesel LOCO models might benefit from a better, museum quality competitor, but as the discussion seems to have gone off route a bit, I wonder if there's any mileage in Revolution-Rapido-Realtrack collaborating on bringing the N gauge 320/321/322 to the OO market?

Revolution have indicated their intention to produce more OO models in the future, they are simply waiting at this point for their first OO model to arrive so that people will have an idea of what they are offering.

Yes, many of us are aware of the Rapido background to the models and what that means, but the general masses that don't follow things closely don't.

How about...

A nice Sharp, Stewart 4-4-0, as used by the Furness and Cambrian? No?

In that case, something modern... The Midland's Lickey Banker, No.2290. It was built in 1919, so therefore qualifies as 'Modern' for a pre-grouper. As for an A4? That's futuristic!

• 4 weeks later...

...or 47 as none of the RTR examples currently available is quite there. Either the 37 or 47, with dozens of variations and seen all over the place for over 50 years, I think either would be Charlie's pension plan sorted.

• RMweb Premium

How about a nice Hunslet 0-4-0 153 hp with or without tram skirting?

A Barclay 0-4-0 153 hp  two versions

A North British 0-4-0 200 hp two versions

A North British 0-4-0 225 hp three versions

A North British 0-4-0 330 hp

A Barclay 0-4-0 204 hp two main versions

A Barclay 0-6-0 204 hp

A Yorkshire Engine 0-4-0 170 hp

Hudswell-Clarke 0-6-0 204hp two versions

Ruston Hornsby 0-4-0 165 hp

I think there is enough non RTR BR classes to start with with repeating what is already out there.

Ruston-Hornsby 0-6-0 165 hp two versions.

...or 47 as none of the RTR examples currently available is quite there. Either the 37 or 47, with dozens of variations and seen all over the place for over 50 years, I think either would be Charlie's pension plan sorted.

Yes absolutely, I had earlier in this thread said the same thing on doing either the 37 or 47 as the coverage is enormous encompassing multiple era's.

As the 66 idea has now been taken, and from the announcement its going to set the standard for modern image models.

Personally I agree with the idea of a newly tooled Class 37. With all the sub classes, variations, liveries and era's it is likely to be a strong seller for a number of years.

• Like 1

I could live with a 37 (and would buy one) but the Hatton's 66 announcement suggests that the argument against producing "yet another 47" is flawed, given there are already two other 66's out there, as with the 47. The 47 would surely provide the greatest sales potential, if Hattons have got this right (and reactions already suggest they may well have). It would also provide slightly more room to fit the sort of sound chip and speaker combination that DCK can do so well.

Although personally, I really want a top rank 33 but Charlie moans whenever that is mentioned, so I won't say it again.....oops.

• Like 3

I've been racking my brain over a model that really needs to be updated to the sort of spec promised with this new Hattons 66 and the only thing I can think of that needs to be updated (much more than the current Bachmann 37 & 47) - is the 'Peak', Derby type 4 or class 45.

If the variants such as the 44, 45/0 and 45/1 as well as the 46 could be catered for, I'm positive it would be a fair seller, despite the lower number of truly different liveries.

They were a long lasting machine that served on virtually every type of train and in most areas. Quite a goodly number had names and they sounded great, what's not to like?

Cheers,

John.