J11's in East Anglia?

NXEA!

Hi all, 

Just a question on the above. Having 'accidentally' copped a Bachmann BR J11 on eBay for £50 earlier, I'm wondering if anyone can provide pointers on whether they were regular visitors to East Anglia, as my layout is set in Norfolk and I desperately need to justify this impulse purchase to 'er indoors...  

I'm aware that some were allocated to the M&GN in the 30's, however having had a trawl through BR Loco Database none were East Anglian machines in BR days. However, there is a photograph of one at South Lynn on an eastbound freight in 1953, so they *did* venture here. The question is how often? Were they extremely rare visitors, or semi-regular? I note that several examples were shedded as far east as Retford. What freight traffic would they have found themselves on to get all the way over to Kings Lynn? 

Grateful for any info on this. 

Thanks. 

Edited by NXEA!
  • Like 2

I think that 'rare visitor' would cover it, most likely to happen when the demands of working summer passenger traffic and hauling away the agricultural products peaked.

I'd suggest using it as the 'place holder' for a J17 if you haven't one on the layout. There aren't all the 0-6-0s we really need in RTR to properly represent the steam railway, and one 3F is much like another in general principles.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Just a question on the above. Having 'accidentally' copped a Bachmann BR J11 on eBay for £50 earlier, I'm wondering if anyone can provide pointers on whether they were regular visitors to East Anglia, as my layout is set in Norfolk and I desperately need to justify this impulse purchase to 'er indoors...

I'm aware that some were allocated to the M&GN in the 30's, however having had a trawl through BR Loco Database none were East Anglian machines in BR days. However, there is a photograph of one at South Lynn on an eastbound freight in 1953, so they *did* venture here. The question is how often? Were they extremely rare visitors, or semi-regular? I note that several examples were shedded as far east as Retford. What freight traffic would they have found themselves on to get all the way over to Kings Lynn?

Grateful for any info on this.

Thanks.

During their lifetimes the were shedded all over the former MSLR/GCR and would certainly have been seen regularly in Lincolnshire. I would imagine, though, that East Anglia would be the exception.

Regards

According to my 1948 Ian Allan, Lincoln (40A) had a number of J11 allocations, and I believe this continued well into the 1950s.  I don’t think it would be taking modeller’s licence too far to imagine these locos reaching the western fringes of Norfolk on occasion.  I would also guess that they could have also reached the marshalling yard at Whitemoor, near March, although I have seen no photographic evidence of that.

A bit of irrelevant info from the LNER.info website.  During LNER days, some were transferred to East Anglia, and shedded at Norwich, Lowestoft, Yarmouth and Cambridge between 1927 and 1933.

John

• Like 1

Thank you gents for replying to my question, it looks like I have the answers I need. I'd seen references that J11's could be seen in East Anglia but didn't believe it myself until I saw that photo of one at South Lynn. Photo is here: http://www.kingslynn-forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=273&start=15

If they were shedded at Lincoln I presume they would've worked down the GN&GE?

Perhaps my next question is misguided as I'm used to the modern railway's way of working, but for a J11 to get to South Lynn for example, that would mean that a driver and fireman from say March would have to be familiar with J11's. Or did crews not have specific traction knowledge back then, and it was a case of familiarising themselves with a specific class when they were asked to work them? Genuine question.

Edited by NXEA!

26 were allocated to GE Section c1937 and returned to GC Section by c1939 with delivery of new J-39s. I haven't seen any reference to the J11 class working on former "GER" lines in British Railways days.

​I'll watch this space with interest and amend the modelling document on the GERS web-site with any new information.

​Paul