OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

I've been looking at photos on the net, Andi, and there are definitely APTs out there with a BWHS pantograph. There are also some with the older, Stone Faiverley (I think) type also fitted to the earlier electric locos. I would prefer the BWHS one? Andi, what's your thoughts? Dave, what are you thinking?

Not thinking much at the moment to be honest. Still a ways to go on the project first. And besides I’m feeling sorry for myself with man flu, and have just found out that chicken Piri Piri is the only food I can actually taste at the minute. So that’s a plus! ;-)

Not thinking much at the moment to be honest. Still a ways to go on the project first. And besides I’m feeling sorry for myself with man flu, and have just found out that chicken Piti Piri is the only food I can actually taste at the minute. So that’s a plus! ;-)

Oh no.  I had that from Christmas to new Year and my nose hasn't stopped running since!  Hope yours goes soon.

I'd be quite happy with the class 92 one.  Maybe you could source them from Bachmann, the one on the Class 90 looks fab.

• RMweb Gold

I've been looking at photos on the net, Andi, and there are definitely APTs out there with a BWHS pantograph.  There are also some with the older, Stone Faiverley (I think) type also fitted to the earlier electric locos.  I would prefer the BWHS one?  Andi, what's your thoughts?  Dave, what are you thinking?

There are many variants of High Speed pan, I was asking whether the APT type was the same as the 92 rather than stating that they were different.

APT carried Stone Faively when built as the High Speed pan didn't exist then, later they were changed.

Andi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DJM Dave

Question for you, regards payment, I understand a 25% Down in May 2018 at sometime, and how are the rest of the payments to made, as in, how many monthly payments thereafter...? or if there are any other terms or more than one option to pay...haha 

I'm going to need a Bigger Money Box, between now and then, whenever THEN will be...!

Hope all is well with family etc... now and the busy period is a bit easier on your to-do list...?

Regards

Jamie

Hi everyone,

Back from the family issue I’ve mentioned in the obituary section of RMWeb, and almost mentally back to normal (no laughing at the back)

Orders keep coming in for the APT, and interestingly enough more orders for the N gauge one than the OO one for 2 weeks running now.

Totals are creeping up, and Durham Trains of Stanley are attending the upcoming Glasgow show so if your visiting, feel free to pop by and ask about the project, or even put your name down for 1 or 2.

As for progress, well it’s going along nicely. With adverts booked in the press, more handbills are about to be printed etc.
Word of mouth is still getting round.
Design work has started on both gauges, to produce a proper west coast iconic train which tilts and looks glorious in short or even better, longer formats.
However the real design work won’t go anywhere until we have our scanning party at Crewe, which will be announced formally once we have reached a threshold that the project sustains itself financially.

It’s worth remembering that without your help in this, the project would not even have gotten this far and both Mike and myself thank you all.

As for questions regarding pantographs and payments, easy answers here....

Pantograph. The APT will be fitted with 1 design of pantograph per set and this will not vary even if it’s an original livery variant compared to an older livery variant. However, the panto will be removable if you decide you want to swap them yourselves.

Payments. Payments when required will be in 4 equal sizes, spread out over stages of production.....
1) initial deposit
2) tooling payment to first EP
3) 2nd ep tooling
4) painted model, production, shipping

These might be, as development goes on, spread out over 6-8 or even more, months, or a couple of them might have shorter gaps between them depending on how smoothly things go.

Either way, you will be informed accordingly, so you can set aside monies etc.
Payment will be by PayPal invoice (you do not need a paypal account to pay a paypal invoice), and you will need a credit or debit card. We suggest that you use your credit card for this if able, as it offers more security than a debit card, but the choice is yours.

However.........Please note this is a DJM crowdfunding project and DJM will be invoicing, designing, and finally supplying the finished model and is therefore totally responsible for your investment.

Also: Please Note: Any 'pure' crowdfunding venture is an investment with no guarantee of return, and your invested capital (deposit payments) are at risk. Please consider carefully whether you wish to partake in this venture before ordering.

Invoices will be generated and sent out over a period of a couple of days, and we will give as long as possible notice to you through web and forum postings that this will be happening on xx of a date.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Durham Trains of Stanley & DJModels

OO gauge APT crowdfunding project update

Hello everyone,

When we announced this project, little did we both know just how popular this project would be, and we are delighted to say that we currently stand just 50 sales short of the total needed to ‘press the button’ and start this magical journey properly.

As mentioned in a previous mail, design work has started, and Dave is busy producing drawings for a few bits and pieces that will feature within the final model, including the tilt mechanism, the articulating bogies, the multiple through wiring connectors, and soft touch (no gap) corridor connections.

It’s all very exciting here to be at this stage, and we hope, that if you haven’t ordered your model or models yet, you do so soon, as we have a lot to do, with the laser scanning party, possibly 2 guest speakers and presentations, plus the taking over of Crewe Heritage Centre for a day, and then not forgetting the finalising of the design etc too.

Once the order book is closed, that’s it! Only existing crowdfunders will be allowed to add sets and at the same price they were originally offered too!

If all goes well, then we both expect something tangible to be seen at Warley 2018, at the latest.

So, with this all in mind, and our stated aim to not make a second batch of these models, you will truly have a model of an icon to cherish, run, amaze your friends, wonder at, that is exclusive to you and a select few.

Yes, there will be a very few spare sets made (we envisage 10-20 in total) , and this is to cover warranty replacements and repairs etc, and to see if anyone wants to purchase this model. However, the ‘RRP’ for these sets will be 25% higher per set and only available directly from DToS.

Please note this is a DJM crowdfunding project and DJM will be invoicing, designing, and finally supplying the finished model and is therefore totally responsible for your investment.

Also: Please Note: Any 'pure' crowdfunding venture is an investment with no guarantee of return, and your invested capital (deposit payments) are at risk. Please consider carefully whether you wish to partake in this venture before ordering.

• Like 6

Durham Trains of Stanley & DJModels

OO gauge APT crowdfunding project update

Hello everyone,

When we announced this project, little did we both know just how popular this project would be, and we are delighted to say that we currently stand just 50 sales short of the total needed to ‘press the button’ and start this magical journey properly.

As mentioned in a previous mail, design work has started, and Dave is busy producing drawings for a few bits and pieces that will feature within the final model, including the tilt mechanism, the articulating bogies, the multiple through wiring connectors, and soft touch (no gap) corridor connections.

It’s all very exciting here to be at this stage, and we hope, that if you haven’t ordered your model or models yet, you do so soon, as we have a lot to do, with the laser scanning party, possibly 2 guest speakers and presentations, plus the taking over of Crewe Heritage Centre for a day, and then not forgetting the finalising of the design etc too.

Once the order book is closed, that’s it! Only existing crowdfunders will be allowed to add sets and at the same price they were originally offered too!

If all goes well, then we both expect something tangible to be seen at Warley 2018, at the latest.

So, with this all in mind, and our stated aim to not make a second batch of these models, you will truly have a model of an icon to cherish, run, amaze your friends, wonder at, that is exclusive to you and a select few.

Yes, there will be a very few spare sets made (we envisage 10-20 in total) , and this is to cover warranty replacements and repairs etc, and to see if anyone wants to purchase this model. However, the ‘RRP’ for these sets will be 25% higher per set and only available directly from DToS.

49 sales to go now :-)

• Like 3

Hi, one thing I did ask DTOS is, following the change in numbers and the fact that no-one can have a Black Cab 14 Car and a Yellow Cab version, without one of the numbers duplicated, could the 10 car be done version with No.3 and No.6 also be done with the option of yellow end only - basically it would just require X amount of units being taken off the production before the black cab surround was added, and possibly a different variation of "Intercity APT" on the front.

A good number of people on RMweb were complaining about the number duplication issue, and that they wouldn't buy a Yellow End Version because of the duplication issue.  On face value, (assuming there is no manufacturing restriction) it would seem to be a very easy way of satisfying this demand!

Best Regards,

C. 

Hi, one thing I did ask DTOS is, following the change in numbers and the fact that no-one can have a Black Cab 14 Car and a Yellow Cab version, without one of the numbers duplicated, could the 10 car be done version with No.3 and No.6 also be done with the option of yellow end only - basically it would just require X amount of units being taken off the production before the black cab surround was added, and possibly a different variation of "Intercity APT" on the front.

A good number of people on RMweb were complaining about the number duplication issue, and that they wouldn't buy a Yellow End Version because of the duplication issue.  On face value, (assuming there is no manufacturing restriction) it would seem to be a very easy way of satisfying this demand!

Best Regards,

C.

I fully agree....

I’d have thought it would have been easier to offer a selection of black or yellow fronted driving car packs, then separately select a set pack that contains the rest of the coaches/power cars that best suited your needs.... I.e. i’ll Take one black and one yellow driving car packs, and a 12 car pack of coaches, and one eight coach pack...

If it was that flexible, i’d Have ordered two sets, as opposed to the single set currently on order....I looked at ordering a second set, but just couldn’t get it to work for me combination wise....

Andy

I fully agree....

I’d have thought it would have been easier to offer a selection of black or yellow fronted driving car packs, then separately select a set pack that contains the rest of the coaches/power cars that best suited your needs.... I.e. i’ll Take one black and one yellow driving car packs, and a 12 car pack of coaches, and one eight coach pack...

If it was that flexible, i’d Have ordered two sets, as opposed to the single set currently on order....I looked at ordering a second set, but just couldn’t get it to work for me combination wise....

Andy

I guess the intention is so that the driving car numbers match up with the coach and power car numbers in the right sets. But it is a bit disappointing for something like this which is unlikely to sell in the thousands like a normal RTR catalogue release (and is a lot of money after all) if the combinations offered cant match up with what you want.

it must be a nightmare trying to organise!! Would it be any easier organising as half-sets? so you buy 2 for a full train, mixing and matching the length and end colours?

I found the options ok, because I thought they looked awful with the yellow end and I went for one of the simpler options!!

Hi,

I do sympathise, I really do, but........

Yes it’s possible to offer what everyone wants, of course it is......however what is does is dilute the whole process to a level where the Chinese will just say ‘what that, you only want 25 of that model? No chance unless the price goes up 30% or more’, because they produce each model in a batch (the moulding gets done all at once, obviously) but the painting gets done as a batch, and they don’t like the mucking about of being asked for 30 or so to have a different paint job as that particular advertised model.

Quantities are everything, and if I had enough orders for the batch to be made, i’d Say yeah. Let’s do it, but as it is, we are still short of the numbers needed to make the project viable. I honestly think we will make it over the line with the OO version, but whether we make it over the line with enough customers for me to be able to make a ‘special’ of 30 or so units, I couldn’t say or guarantee.

Either way someone will have to pick up the tab for the alternate set.

It’s never as easy as just saying it, i’m afraid.

However i’ll give this undertaking......... I will ask, I will push and I will see if something can be done, as the factory are aware that this model will be their biggest OO gauge project to date, and the whole concept will bring everyone in the chain, prestige, so who knows.

I will ask though.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

Hi 

Hi,

I do sympathise, I really do, but........

Yes it’s possible to offer what everyone wants, of course it is......however what is does is dilute the whole process to a level where the Chinese will just say ‘what that, you only want 25 of that model? No chance unless the price goes up 30% or more’, because they produce each model in a batch (the moulding gets done all at once, obviously) but the painting gets done as a batch, and they don’t like the mucking about of being asked for 30 or so to have a different paint job as that particular advertised model.

Quantities are everything, and if I had enough orders for the batch to be made, i’d Say yeah. Let’s do it, but as it is, we are still short of the numbers needed to make the project viable. I honestly think we will make it over the line with the OO version, but whether we make it over the line with enough customers for me to be able to make a ‘special’ of 30 or so units, I couldn’t say or guarantee.

Either way someone will have to pick up the tab for the alternate set.

It’s never as easy as just saying it, i’m afraid.

However i’ll give this undertaking......... I will ask, I will push and I will see if something can be done, as the factory are aware that this model will be their biggest OO gauge project to date, and the whole concept will bring everyone in the chain, prestige, so who knows.
I will ask though.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,

I just thought it may be a practical easy fix.  I'm only talking of "OO" gauge.  I think there are a lot of people who have already purchased a 14 car with a black front, but would still be interested in a yellow fronted version, there have been a number on RMweb expressing this desire, but not opting for it because they don't want the number duplication.  I just thought from a practical perspective, there could be the opportunity to pull a quantity of driving cars off the production line of the 10-car version, to bypass the black front painting.  That option would possibly get you the additional 50, if not more sales that are required...  Plus the numbers do not "Clash" with the 14-car version.

Regards,

C.  

• Like 1

Not sure where to ask this question (here or on the n gauge APT thread) but as this is the busiest, here it is.

It looks like the OO version is well on the way to the numbers required for manufacture but that the n gauge version is way behind with only 25% of the required numbers of registered interest. If the OO version makes the numbers, can you envisage production going ahead without the n gauge version or will you wait for the numbers for n gauge before proceeding with both?

I am interested in the n gauge version personally and have ordered.

Not sure where to ask this question (here or on the n gauge APT thread) but as this is the busiest, here it is.

It looks like the OO version is well on the way to the numbers required for manufacture but that the n gauge version is way behind with only 25% of the required numbers of registered interest. If the OO version makes the numbers, can you envisage production going ahead without the n gauge version or will you wait for the numbers for n gauge before proceeding with both?

I am interested in the n gauge version personally and have ordered.

If the OO one gets the numbers but the N gauge one doesn’t, the OO gauge one will start almost at once.

The n gauge one will follow if it reaches the numbers required, and I hope a ‘push’ in magazines and online will help, but for now, figures do not show N gauge in a positive light to be honest.

Fingers crossed as it will lead to classes 81-85 as that’s the mission of the N gauge one, as stated in the original press release.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

If the OO one gets the numbers but the N gauge one doesn’t, the OO gauge one will start almost at once.

The n gauge one will follow if it reaches the numbers required, and I hope a ‘push’ in magazines and online will help, but for now, figures do not show N gauge in a positive light to be honest.

Fingers crossed as it will lead to classes 81-85 as that’s the mission of the N gauge one, as stated in the original press release.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave. It is a shame for N gauge but good for the project that at least one will be built. I guess I am holding out a hope that the halo effect will help or the higher numbers in OO can subsidise the smaller N gauge market ;-) 

Hi mate,

The OO one will stand alone financially, and there will be no subsidising of the N gauge one through the OO one should the OO one be over subscribed financially.

Any profit after incidentals from either gauge one will go into their respective gauges for the 81-85 in N and 81-84 in OO gauge

Cheers
Dave

• Like 2

Hi mate,

The OO one will stand alone financially, and there will be no subsidising of the N gauge one through the OO one should the OO one be over subscribed financially.

Any profit after incidentals from either gauge one will go into their respective gauges for the 81-85 in N and 81-84 in OO gauge

Cheers

Dave

Oh I am liking this idea!

• Like 1