OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

Was a bit damp but it was interesting watching the APT scanning and enjoy rarities such as seeing the buffers exposed, tilting from both the carriage and the cab.

Thanks to Dave and Mick for the day out and the enthusiasm for what is looking a great and exciting project.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Was a bit damp but it was interesting watching the APT scanning and enjoy rarities such as seeing the buffers exposed, tilting from both the carriage and the cab.

Thanks to Dave and Mick for the day out and the enthusiasm for what is looking a great and exciting project.

Fully agree a great but slightly damp day, thanks to all to made "hubby" welcome with all his qustions.

Steve

• Like 1

I'm just on my way home, but I found this a really enjoyable day. It was a relaxing day out, I found it much more motivating than a model railway exhibition (although I enjoy those too) & I also found it reassuring to see progress being made & to chat to those making it happen, to hear that they are as keen to see this is a success as I am to have a great model. A big thanks to Dave & Mick for organising the day & letting us be a part of it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just got back from travelling home from Crewe. A few photos of the day for those who could not join us:

post-7653-0-77059000-1527963150_thumb.jpg

Steps being removed for the first time in perhaps 30 years!

post-7653-0-98723400-1527962747_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-76533000-1527962958_thumb.jpg

The scanning commences despite the drizzle!

post-7653-0-30170600-1527963073_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-58884900-1527963216_thumb.jpg

Scanning with the nose up.

post-7653-0-17105700-1527964119_thumb.jpg

Up goes the drone.

post-7653-0-42562500-1527964148_thumb.jpg

A view inside the cab of 006.

post-7653-0-71731500-1527963131_thumb.jpg

The Pantograph.  Note the aerofoils!

post-7653-0-79884000-1527963190_thumb.jpg

Pleased that the power car from Coventry has found a new home.

post-7653-0-97029100-1527963162_thumb.jpg

And finally, the classic Rail Riders profile.

post-7653-0-09163300-1527963179_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the cloud data that the team have managed to capture.

I also took some video on the iPhone.  I just need to edit it together and I'll post it once I'm done.

Edited by Captainalbino
  • Like 19

thanks to all, that made the event today. Hope you all enjoyed it, and it was a shame the weather didnt completely play ball.

good to meet you and have a chat.

as for the APT, the photograph above without the steps wont be possible again and apparently its the first time since delivery on site that the steps havnt been in the way of a clear photograph.

cheers

Dave

• Like 3

To DJM aka Dave & DToS aka Mick

Thank you for a great day out at Crewe Heritage Centre, and for the Cups of Tea's and many sandwiches, so thanks to Michelle to for your hospitality, It was a great day hopefully by all, great to meet you both in person to, along with many others that were at Crewe Heritage Centre made some good friends along the way was a Bonus!

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

• RMweb Gold

Having returned to the far southeast corner spot on time thanks to Virgin Trains and Southeastern High Speed may I add my thanks to Dave, Mick and all the guys and girls at the Crewe Heritage Centre for an excellent and interesting day. Much appreciated.

A couple of pics from me taken of the APT from a passing train:

post-586-0-50697300-1527972512.jpg

…..and studying one of the bogies:

post-586-0-72679300-1527972551.jpg

….. and one of the drone waiting for take-off:

post-586-0-10975500-1527972587.jpg

Keith (the one hiding under his London Underground umbrella until it stopped raining)

• Like 5

Really good day meeting quite a few of you for the first time was also a privilege. Pity about the weather, but it didn't dampen anyones spirits. Roll on the production, but first seeing the laser scan results :)

• Like 2

Just a quick thanks to Dave, Mick and the Crewe heritage centre for a really good day out. Really enjoyed meeting and speaking to you both and some fellow crowd funders as well. Looking forward to watching this project progress.

Cheers

Craig

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am one of those who could not make it, but it sounds like a great time was had by all. Thanks to Crewe Heritage Centre, Durham Trains of Stanley and DJM Models for making this project happen.

Looking forward to the next stage and maybe the N version getting sufficient crowdfunders as well.

I am one of those who could not make it, but it sounds like a great time was had by all. Thanks to Crewe Heritage Centre, Durham Trains of Stanley and DJM Models for making this project happen.

Looking forward to the next stage and maybe the N version getting sufficient crowdfunders as well.

Hi Colin

Yes, it's was shame you couldn't attend and for all others that couldn't attend this iconic day, but it was a superb day for those that did attend, it will go down with good memories, and always is whenever I do attend the Crewe Heritage Centre.

Maybe one day we will get chance to meet up with you hey...

I'll try and up load several photos over the coming days...

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 2

Glad everyone had a good day - sounds like you did.  Sorry I couldn't make it but work and other commitments got in the way. 

Hopefully Dave with all the data you'll be able to get on with making a really fine model. On the days when you stumble across "challenges" designing and making this model - just remember the people you met at the Scan Party, who have faith and trust in your ability, and I hope it inspires and encourages you to get through those days with a smile!

Best Regards,

C. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Pretty certain I have seen photo the twin bogie vehicle on a test train - it had to be marshalled next to a Pc and before the brake vehicle of a half set. 

Well given progress on other projects time from Scan/ measuring to working sets I would expect around 10 to 12 months and the 4mm 1980s WCML layouts will be full of models. Just need some 2mm action - there is a 2mm 3D print version I have seen in the past on Shapeways that showed much promise, The lovely cut and shunt on Kings Park so it can and has been done. Go Dave you know you want to.

Robert   

It was good to finally meet Dave and Mick yesterday. I've not visited Crewe since 1988, so seeing all the pendolinos, voyagers and other units was a big change from how I remember it!

It was fantastic to be able to roam around the APT-P and get photos (the last one I saw and took photos of was at booths scrap yard in Rotherham). It's still a very modern looking train. The buffet car was just as narrow as I remembered it from a Euston to Glasgow run I was lucky to do :) It was interesting to see the scanning in progress too, I was hoping to see the drone scanning the roof but I had to leave before they got to that bit.

Pity the weather was so damp but it was still a very interesting day.

Thanks to everyone involved for making this possible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After messing around with the video clips last night, I've edited together a short video.

The video has been shot from a hand held mobile phone, so isn't the best. I also think the music is probably a bit too dramatic, but I wasn't convinced that I could use the "APT Round Trip to Glasgow" music without infringing copyright, so I was a little bit stuck with the free tracks available from Youtube.

• Like 13

After messing around with the video clips last night, I've edited together a short video.

The video has been shot from a hand held mobile phone, so isn't the best. I also think the music is probably a bit too dramatic, but I wasn't convinced that I could use the "APT Round Trip to Glasgow" music without infringing copyright, so I was a little bit stuck with the free tracks available from Youtube.

Thanks for doing that - really nice to see.

For me it really rams home how British Rail in the 1970s and 80s was starting to understand the power of train aesthetics - APT-E, this, and the HST (the latter albeit with external designer Ken Grange) were all extraordinarily strong pieces of industrial design, almost screaming of modernity. Beautiful objects.

Paul

The nose up photo reminds me of a video of some blokes at cf booths manually trying to rip the nose section off a scrapper and ends up with them falling on their backsides when it finally gave way, sad and funny all in the same shot. Pleased yesterday went well pity I couldn’t go but a good turn out by the looks of it.

Don’t know what anybody else thinks but I’m not a fan of the pendolinos, they look odd from the outside and are terrible to sit on when you’re a passenger. To be honest the 39 year gap doesn’t seem that big when you look at the two designs, the apt with the two middle power cars looks a lot sleeker. All the stock Virgin have brought in are dreadful to ride on and the toilets urggghhh!

• Like 1

Sitting in APT 1st class and reclining was up there with the finest moments of the day!

I know I am a sizeable individual but did anybody else think they were going to go through the floor when walking through the power car?

Edited by ac1874