OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

On the Paypal front, their "Acceptable Use Policy" shows that you cannot use paypal for sale of items before you have control or possession. Shown in Red below. This is not fraud per-se but simply something Paypal does not accept their service is used for.

I think we can cut some slack over the paypal issue as being nothing else than their service policy.

Edit: note I,m not saying this is the actual reason but Paypal can decide to block services for a lot of reasons (like account limits etc) without actually being something naughty.

Copied from here: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/acceptableuse-full

(admittedly US, but I bet UK is the same). Prohibited Activities

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

• violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation.
  • relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, © cigarettes, (d) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (e) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (f) the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory or the financial exploitation of a crime, (g) items that are considered obscene, (h) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.
  • relate to transactions that (a) show the personal information of third parties in violation of applicable law, (b) support pyramid or ponzi schemes, matrix programs, other "get rich quick" schemes or certain multi-level marketing programs, © are associated with purchases of annuities or lottery contracts, lay-away systems, off-shore banking or transactions to finance or refinance debts funded by a credit card, (d) are for the sale of certain items before the seller has control or possession of the item, (e) are by payment processors to collect payments on behalf of merchants, (f) are associated with the sale of traveler's checks or money orders, (h) involve currency exchanges or check cashing businesses, (i) involve certain credit repair, debt settlement services, credit transactions or insurance activities, or (k) involve offering or receiving payments for the purpose of bribery or corruption.
  • involve the sales of products or services identified by government agencies to have a high likelihood of being fraudulent.

I may be asking a naive question but as regards the Pay Pal problems, shouldn't the people who used Pay Pal to make their initial payments have read paragraph 3d of Pay Pal's terms & conditions?  You cannot blame Pay Pal or Dave for the problems caused with refund delays, etc..  I paid by using a standard credit card & if anything goes wrong I will probably be covered by Section 75.

Peter

For what it’s worth I received a phishing email a couple of days ago stating my PayPal account had been suspended, which it clearly had not as I was, and am still using it. I wonder if Dave had the same email?

Shane

I get them from time to time, just forward the email to www.spoof@paypal.com the most recent ones has come to my live.com email, my Paypal isn't registered on that email address,

I may be asking a naive question but as regards the Pay Pal problems, shouldn't the people who used Pay Pal to make their initial payments have read paragraph 3d of Pay Pal's terms & conditions?  You cannot blame Pay Pal or Dave for the problems caused with refund delays, etc..  I paid by using a standard credit card & if anything goes wrong I will probably be covered by Section 75.

Peter

I seem to remember that the DJM invoice for the abortive Class 17 locomotive was a Paypal invoice. My refund certainly came from Paypal. Does that mean that the DJM invoice was in breach of section 3d?

I would just like to go on record as trusting Dave.

I am really pleased with my DJM Class 71. I will defo be getting a DJM J94 when a pristine BR late crest version is (I hope) released at some future juncture.

Sad that Class 74 and 00 King did not go forward though appreciate I was not left out of pocket (having pre-paid for the former).

I do understand that there is a risk - and am willing to take that risk to support Dave on this project. Never thought for a moment anyone is pulling the wool over my eyes, they are wide open.

Will be paying my first APT-P instalment at earliest opportunity for what I believe will be a super model and the pride of my not inconsequential fleet!

Thanks in advance Dave - your efforts are very much appreciated!

• Like 4

Peter

This should be moved to its own thread - Section 75 does not apply to any credit card transactions which have gone via Paypal. The rule is very clear - there has to be a direct link between the buyer's credit card company and the supplier. Paypal acts in these circumstances acts as a sort of intermediary.

In these circumstances your credit card company will tell you that Paypal will have to reimburse you

I found this out the hard way. The good news is Paypal will give you up to 180 days to submit complaints on transactions.

Getting back on track I am also looking forward to this APT - the crazy prices of the Rapido APT E is making this model appear more and more like the good value that it actually is.

Would love to see this arrive by Xmas Dave! 

• Like 1

I may be asking a naive question but as regards the Pay Pal problems, shouldn't the people who used Pay Pal to make their initial payments have read paragraph 3d of Pay Pal's terms & conditions? You cannot blame Pay Pal or Dave for the problems caused with refund delays, etc.. I paid by using a standard credit card & if anything goes wrong I will probably be covered by Section 75.

Peter

These are from seller terms and conditions for using paypal. I have not looked at buyer terms. No comment on refunds except to kindly give Dave some leeway click through each one after the other (keeping in mind submitting accounts is precedence over everything and he did loose his father earlier this year which is distracting in paper work and everything else). Edited by JSpencer

Time to move on indeed, hopefully the next update to the thread will be related to the model.

A good excuse to get yourself over to Crewe this week/weekend to see the real thing for the anniversary event.

Andy

Edited by ac1874

For what it’s worth I received a phishing email a couple of days ago stating my PayPal account had been suspended, which it clearly had not as I was, and am still using it. I wonder if Dave had the same email?

Shane

Hi Shane

Yes I get them once or twice a month, NEVER EVER CLICK on the LINKS WITHIN THAT EMAIL and we should all play our part in FORWARDING the Email including any attachments within the email to.... SPOOF@PAYPAL.COM

You will receiver a generic email back from PayPal thanking you for your support in helping play your part in trying to make PayPal and better and safer place, they will investigate the suspicious looking email that you have received. After sending the email to payPal, you should ALWAYS DELETE the EMAIL once you have sent/forwarded to SPOOF@PAYPAL.COM, I do every time I receive those emails, which can be a right pain in the... you know where....!

BUT as long as you don't open any LINKS within that same email, nothing should be tracking what ever you type next...

Example, normally the email says something like... 'Your PayPal account as been locked for your safety, due to the high amount of suspicious activity taking place, please follow the 'LINK' (in the email) below to login to PayPal and change your Password'....

PLEASE DO NOT BE FOOLED, if in doubt, CALL PayPal DIRECTLY from your Landline, preferably the Landline you have registered with PayPal.

Just for those who are NOT Computer Literate, when receiving these type of nasty emails, no matter how good the email may look with PayPal logo's still DO NOT BE FOOLED.

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 2

Just the matter of the new e-commerce set up - Dave can refund, he cannot take the replacement deposits yet.

He is working on it. Setting up such sites, ensuring they are secured, customer friendly and does everything he needs from it requires considerable time and attention. He also needs to migrate existing data from old to new. Making sure all that is perfect and complete also requires considerable concentration. Better to deliver it when it soundly works than rush it and have a sequel drama to Paypal.

My advice to Dave would be, before releasing it on all his customers, he picks a handful first to use it and get feedback so that the site is refined and the comm is clear and complete. He will have 80% of problems sorted out prior to release that will save 100s of mails (and posts).

• Like 1

He is working on it. Setting up such sites, ensuring they are secured, customer friendly and does everything he needs from it requires considerable time and attention. He also needs to migrate existing data from old to new. Making sure all that is perfect and complete also requires considerable concentration. Better to deliver it when it soundly works than rush it and have a sequel drama to Paypal.

My advice to Dave would be, before releasing it on all his customers, he picks a handful first to use it and get feedback so that the site is refined and the comm is clear and complete. He will have 80% of problems sorted out prior to release that will save 100s of mails (and posts).

Agreed, happy to be a guinea pig.

The Micro Entity Accounts are now posted on the Companies House website - maybe it's time to move on?

Bob

Good stuff. Dave continues to have my full support for this project and I look forward to it developing.

• RMweb Gold

The Micro Entity Accounts are now posted on the Companies House website - maybe it's time to move on?

Bob

Good news indeed. And an important lesson. It can't have been that difficult and if for the year just ended (31/07/18) they are submitted in time it will save a lot of grief, posts on here and the cost of an APT-P in late penalties.

Best wishes to Dave and as soon as the facility to re pay my deposit is made available then I will have pleasure in doing so.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, and thanks for your support.

Like you, i'm very glad to see the accounts now up to date.

Great idea about the web site and i'll rope some of you kind souls in to kick it into touch for me.

The laser scan is, unfortunately running a day or so later, but they are also supplying a Step/STL file for me to get the scan produced in 3D printed form.

Anyone know anyone who can do this for me please as i currently use a company in India who do a great print (see the N and OO class 92's) but if the price is right i'd like to keep it 'in country'?

Cheers

Dave

Hi All

I looking forward to hopefully seeing you all again or for the first time at Crewe Heritage Centre this Thursday 02 August 2018 to Sunday 05 August 2018, I will be there on Thursday and possibly Saturday.

See you there, whoever that may be...

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi everyone, and thanks for your support.

Like you, i'm very glad to see the accounts now up to date.

Great idea about the web site and i'll rope some of you kind souls in to kick it into touch for me.

The laser scan is, unfortunately running a day or so later, but they are also supplying a Step/STL file for me to get the scan produced in 3D printed form.

Anyone know anyone who can do this for me please as i currently use a company in India who do a great print (see the N and OO class 92's) but if the price is right i'd like to keep it 'in country'?

Cheers

Dave

not a problem Dave,

I had faith in your producing and delivering my units, your customer service has always been top par and always communicated the status of the projects effectively, and your a great chap to talk too. 

The people on her who like doing personal attacks are unlikely to have pre-ordered anyways, I look forward to seeing the cad.

not a problem Dave,

I had faith in your producing and delivering my units, your customer service has always been top par and always communicated the status of the projects effectively, and your a great chap to talk too.

The people on her who like doing personal attacks are unlikely to have pre-ordered anyways, I look forward to seeing the cad.

Actually those that were raising the points had ordered and are supporters of the project.

Edit: I will say I am not part of this scheme but all I have done is support those who are who had concerns they wanted Dave to urgently addres.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 3

not a problem Dave,

I had faith in your producing and delivering my units,

Blimey when did they deliver them?

Signed somebody who has had ordered a 14 coach set.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

The people on her who like doing personal attacks are unlikely to have pre-ordered...

Can you quote one of the 'personal attacks', I've only read concern for the project and how it's funded.

Chris P I would ignore the attempt to prolong a discussion which is now resolved.

• Like 1

Do we know if the interiors of the model will be painted or moulded in somewhat representative colours?  This thread has taken the Sunday engineering diversion route for a while and I have lost track of where we are regarding the actual model.

Dave mentioned using transfers to get the tartan seat patterns