OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

No one would turn up to a CAD drawers party, they are pretty lonely types.

For a party, you need a 3D scanner !

I asked the Hornby guy about this last year,he said they do all their cad in the UK, sourced from measuring tapes, drawings and photos. Reckon they can measure up a loco in a few hours.

not sure what they were using on the 71 for instance, or the King then!

To be entirely honest - in my view after the 3D scan of the Deltic, and the fantastic model - it seems to have become fasionable in model railways.  Yes, in some circumstances perhaps it is useful, but as people have highlighted above there are some errrors that can creep in.  Plus, with Black Surfaces not showing up well.  I think its possibly a useful tool in the correct hands.  I think where it can be a problem is, that with a 3D scan - a model could be made "passively" - in that peoples attention is not based on utilising dimensions to ensure all is correct - is where possible Gremlins can creep in, as they are focusing on the scan.  In the case of the APT, perhaps it was a nice thing to have a scan party, but it put the model back, and if it hadn't happened, then that time could have been used to get the model moving forward faster.  Rather than a "scan party", I would have preferred a "party" for the first engineering sample. 

Regards,

C. 

rather coincidentally the scan party was the first time both Crewe Heritage Centre, and the scanning company were free, as the latter were busy scanning infrastructure the previous 3 weeks solid apparently.

mind you, it would be lovely to get their scans of bridges, tunnels, stations etc. that would make modelling a tad easier and open up the laser cutting kit market even more.

• Like 1

Hi Dave & everyone....

I have received my Paypal refund back in end of July for the APT paypal trouble's.....

Im yet to receive any email or anything for re-ordering....am i missing anything or hasnt it been done yet ?

APT scan pics looks great btw !

cheers, ste.

I’ve said it before that laser scanning isn’t the be all and end all to producing a model, merely just one of the tools in the arsenal. As an aside how much of an advantage does it give over using other methods? I’m just thinking about other models such as Hornby’s 2 HAL, of which none exist to scan but a model was produced that looked spot on. This proves it can be done with success and after seeing the APT renders with bits in the wrong place, under defined detail around the bogies etc, is it worth the cost, with all the extra work this creates? Wouldn’t the scan be better just used to get the basics right? A good draughtsman and toolmaker will be able to design the bogies and finer details from drawings, photos and measurements. Just me thinking out loud.

Cheers

Shane

It depends on the prototype. Complex shapes with curves like the Deltic, the APT (both types), the class 71 are probably best scanned especially when they contain parabolic and other exotic curves that change over distance (how would you measure that?).

Other locos with simpler classic shapes will get away with being measured.

Hi Dave & everyone....

I have received my Paypal refund back in end of July for the APT paypal trouble's.....

Im yet to receive any email or anything for re-ordering....am i missing anything or hasnt it been done yet ?

APT scan pics looks great btw !

cheers, ste.

No-one has received a repayment request yet as Dave has to get the e-commerce part of his site tested before payments can be made.

HI Dave,

I have an important query.

I have received the email today from paypal regarding the refund.

However it states that moneys will be refunded "to the card you paid with".

The issue I have, is that the card I used no longer exists as my main card provider has parted company with this sub card issuer (partner) several weeks ago.

So my question is obviously what happens in this scenario .

Thanks Dave in advance. D7100.

HI Dave,

The issue I have, is that the card I used no longer exists as my main card provider has parted company with this sub card issuer (partner) several weeks ago.

Hi mate,

to be honest i have not got the faintest idea.

might be an idea to contact the sub card issuer first and foremost as one of them 2 will have responsibility for this sort of scenario.

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi mate,

to be honest i have not got the faintest idea.

might be an idea to contact the sub card issuer first and foremost as one of them 2 will have responsibility for this sort of scenario.

cheers

Dave

I should think that it is PayPal who can best answer your question not DJM

• RMweb Gold

Dave, not sure if you have done this or covered it elsewhere and my apologies if you have, Would it be worth sending an email to those who WILL NOT be receiving refunds ? (Where funds were used to pay current costs) and then post in here to say those who haven't received this email or a refund yet, are still being processed. . . Yeah I Know more work for you lol but it might help clarify for those still waiting

HI Dave,

I just got the refund. I've paid by Creditcard using PayPal. The refund will be stored in your PayPal wallet. From there you can transfer the money to your bank account. I suppose this will be the same for everyone.

I just got the refund. I've paid by Creditcard using PayPal. The refund will be stored in your PayPal wallet. From there you can transfer the money to your bank account. I suppose this will be the same for everyone.

I too have had the money refunded to my PayPal account, however when I attempt to move the refunded monies PayPal says my account balance is £0.00.

I'm thinking it may take a couple of days to clear before I can attempt to move it elsewhere.

Otherwise I imagine it will stay there in limbo.

I will give it another 48hrs and if I'm still unable to move the refunded amount it looks like I will have to touch base with PayPal.

Cheers D7100.

• Like 1

I too have had the money refunded to my PayPal account, however when I attempt to move the refunded monies PayPal says my account balance is £0.00.

I'm thinking it may take a couple of days to clear before I can attempt to move it elsewhere.

I will give it another 48hrs and if I'm still unable to move the refunded amount it looks like I will have to touch base with PayPal.

Cheers D7100.

Like all banks, they will keep it for as long as possible before giving it back to you.

I believe earlier in the refund process others experienced the same situation.

Thanks

Dave

Dave, not sure if you have done this or covered it elsewhere and my apologies if you have, Would it be worth sending an email to those who WILL NOT be receiving refunds ? (Where funds were used to pay current costs) and then post in here to say those who haven't received this email or a refund yet, are still being processed. . . Yeah I Know more work for you lol but it might help clarify for those still waiting

Hi mate,

great idea and one i will do tomorrow morning.

Cheers

Dave

Hi everyone,

i'm delighted to say that the new web site with e-commerce integrated is now up and running for those that need to re-order the OO gauge APT.

The sit is SSL compliant, and your payments are secure.

Lloyds click safe will be added to the current 'Stripe' e commerce section within the next 2 weeks.

Please note that the system sends both you and i receipts for the payments so please bear in mind your order may reach your spam folder and to check it occasionally.

It's been a heck of a journey and i thank you all for your patience.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

i'm delighted to say that the new web site with e-commerce integrated is now up and running for those that need to re-order the OO gauge APT.

The sit is SSL compliant, and your payments are secure.

Lloyds click safe will be added to the current 'Stripe' e commerce section within the next 2 weeks.

Please note that the system sends both you and i receipts for the payments so please bear in mind your order may reach your spam folder and to check it occasionally.

It's been a heck of a journey and i thank you all for your patience.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Dave, got the e-mail & re-ordered today.  :yahoo:

Thanks for persisting with it.

• RMweb Gold

No one would turn up to a CAD drawers party, they are pretty lonely types.

For a party, you need a 3D scanner !

I asked the Hornby guy about this last year,he said they do all their cad in the UK, sourced from measuring tapes, drawings and photos. Reckon they can measure up a loco in a few hours.

not sure what they were using on the 71 for instance, or the King then!

1. I’ve no reason to doubt their words, it was in presence of a fellow rmwebber at Warley last year.

2. They’ve been making models for decades before cad scanners existed or even cad for that matter.

3. I cant speak for the king and 71, but this months engine shed shows a snowy day, in a blizzard on the roof of Crewe’s 87 with a measuring stick...not a scanner, I’ve seen that measuring stick in many of their promo images and I’ve not seen a scanner in their images.

Of course you may well know different, and they may pick and choose their methods.

Out of interest, do scanners work in a blizzard ?

Edited by adb968008

Hi mate,

when they were advertising the 71 and progress their scanning guy showed a link or uploaded a video of the scanning taking place at Barrow Hill. i think it was on their 'engine shed' thingy too.

should be on here under the Hornby section along, if my old memory is serving me correctly, the King scanning.

No doubt that both were laser scanned, and i knew the 87 wasnt scanned at Crewe.

• RMweb Premium

The King wasn’t scanned. It was measured and photographed at Didcot on June 25th 2014.

Hornby measured, photographed and scanned the class 71 at Barrow Hill 18th September 2014.

• Like 1

Cheers D7100.

Hi Dave.

Just to let you and others know that my refunded payment which was in limbo within the PayPal system finally cleared today and has been returned to my Parent credit card.

Hope this helps others that may have had similar issues regarding (partner) or secondary credit cards.

Also I received your email regarding re-ordering. I shall be doing that tomorrow.

Thanks again Dave for resolving these setbacks.

Cheers D7100.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There was a delay of a couple of days between PayPal saying I had a refund and the money arriving in my account. That appears to be normal transaction clearance time. We may live in an electronic world but things are done in batches perhaps only once per day. It's not instant like in the movies.