OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

Only had one update and also spoke to Dave at Warley. He was his usual reassuring self and seemed to think things were going Ok and had sold a 14 car on the Saturday morning. No 3d print on show but it sounds like the design is not yet finished.

• RMweb Premium

I think it'd help if there was fewer projects but more deliveries of projects already announced , at the moment there is a bit of a credibility problem in that projects seem to be accumulating with little sign of progress on many of them. Sometimes less is more.

There is a new part of the forum which is only visible to people who haven't expressed an interest or have paid a deposit  :jester:

Hi DJM Dave

Thanks for those extra updates, and all I can say is, a Huge Thank You for keeping me in the inner circle and keeping it quiet... You did say you would... I guess your just keeping to your word... lol

Woodenhead

What... You mean you.... have not even been sent the LINK to DJM Dave latest Information... Haha

Elsewhere on here

A bit of paranoia starting to set in, I think... like Only Fools and Horses, granddad said on his death bed just before he died, if anyone gets paranoid to get your huge wooden spoon our and stir it up a little... give them something to talk about... and oh yeah and tell them about the... (I never got the end of that sentence) lol :triniti:

He also said a lot of other things, I guess over time we will find out... or may never know, Considering granddad died so suddenly, he seemed to have a lot to say for himself.... :secret:

Still we may all just get a bracelet with 'Rooney' written on it.... or was it 'Rodney'... haha :dontknow:  :no2:  :friends: and all be Rooney friends.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A newsletter has been received from Dave with an APT update. As usual, he's asked it not to be posted anywhere until crowdfunders have had a chance to read it. To be posted on his website in a couple of weeks.

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did notice that in DJ's email re the APT-P, the following;

"So in 'theory' the model should be exactly the same size as the real thing"......

Not sure how it will fit on Hornby track if this is true. You are certainly going to need a bigger layout.

Might explain why it's so expensive!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm guessing DJ has done the usual and asked people not to share the email until he gets round to putting it on his website?

I suppose that if you regard crowdfunders as being like shareholders, then they have a right to relevant information about 'their' company before the general public. But I must say that it seems to be a strange marketing tactic. It certainly reduces the chances of me committing to future projects not knowing whether current projects are on course, or whether they may drag the company down before my project is complete,

.It's all a bit masonic, do I need to roll up a trouser leg before ordering? :jester:

Edited by Vistisen

The danger with this approach (as I see it) is that the excitement generated by his email fizzles out by the time the two week embargo is up so the subscribers are less inclined to post it and give him the publicity. That's fine if he wants to run all this as a private club, but it seems an odd business model. How is he going to publicise new models? Anyways, we've been here before.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, but the APT and the 92, which are the projects I’m most interested in have each had updates emailed out (I’ve not stumped up the cash I freely admit so I’m not worthy), but they’ve not got onto the website. Nothing has since the new year ‘update’, which reads like a blog post rather than a product update.

Withdrawing from social media is fine, I’ve often told Dave directly he overshared and made a rod for his own back, but blocking all customers who’ve not actually paid you money is, frankly, total lunacy.

The first update to be embargoed did make it onto the website broadly ‘on time’, but radio silence since.

Edited by njee20

I've received a press release from DJM about the OO/4mm ATP. There's nothing mentioned as embargoed in it so here is the gist of it. 

A number of the latest cad/cam images were included.

It is still available to order on the website. The sets are being made strictly to order and, as Dave does not see a demand to produce further sets at a later date, it will be a one-off model production.

He expects a finished 6 car APT cad/cam within around 60 days and, if all goes well, it will go to tooling shortly afterwards.

HTH.

G

• RMweb Premium

The danger with this approach (as I see it) is that the excitement generated by his email fizzles out by the time the two week embargo is up so the subscribers are less inclined to post it and give him the publicity. That's fine if he wants to run all this as a private club, but it seems an odd business model. How is he going to publicise new models? Anyways, we've been here before.

But, as I have said on another thread, it is not the job of other subscribers to publicise DJM's products. It is Dave's.

He has chosen no longer to take part on RMWeb (and other fora), meaning his only 'real-time' communication is via his website. If that isn't kept up-to-date, then he really doesn't have any similar outlet.

I am all for keeping subscribers up-to-date in advance of everyone else, but as I presume he is still after more people to sign up, so this 'them and us' approach (keeping updates 'exclusive' for the first couple of weeks) isn't the way to drum up support. Once the book is closed and there are no other customers to bring on board, that is when updates can be kept secret squirrel, in the meantime, why not leave the updates public to help garner further interest?

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

I've received a press release from DJM about the OO/4mm ATP. There's nothing mentioned as embargoed in it so here is the gist of it. 

Hi Grahame

You obviously did not read the covering email closely, it said "Although I have, this morning sent the images, to all the magazines, i would appreciate you keeping the newsletter to yourself for 2 weeks to give everyone a chance to read, and digest before i post the newsletter to the DJM web site."

Dave will want those who have invested in the model to have any news first, some of whom may not be on-line, before it is made widely known and possibly incorrectly passed on.  In the light of past experience, the request for a two week delay is understandable.

Best wishes

Roddy

PS My version of the news letter did not mention 60 days?