OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

49 minutes ago, HullCityB17 said:

Well both you and DJM have never seen an APT-P then as the 3D print he is holding is clearly wrong as there is one obvious error. He is probably hiding another by his right hand. If say that as why hold it if there wasn't something wrong that he was trying to hide? Why not sit it on a flat surface to photograph it?

He must have added a door where there shouldn't have been one. If so, have can errors occur when it was supposed to be scanned!

Give the guy a break - that's not a door you are seeing it's the small bodylight that should be there - he's applied black paint / panels to represent the locations.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, HullCityB17 said:

Well both you and DJM have never seen an APT-P then as the 3D print he is holding is clearly wrong as there is one obvious error. He is probably hiding another by his right hand. If say that as why hold it if there wasn't something wrong that he was trying to hide? Why not sit it on a flat surface to photograph it?

He must have added a door where there shouldn't have been one. If so, have can errors occur when it was supposed to be scanned!

If you believed they put a man on the moon, man on the moon
If you believe there's nothing up his sleeve, then nothing is cool

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, HullCityB17 said:

The two word reply I am tempted to make would get me banned from RMweb.

As Bob Reid said, give the man a break . Take your unfounded conspiracy theories elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

36 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

The two word reply I am tempted to make would get me banned from RMweb.

As Bob Reid said, give the man a break . Take your unfounded conspiracy theories elsewhere.

Well ill ignorance is bliss... & fools and their money...!

it is not my fault you can't see the obvious. It doesn't take make searching the Internet to see that the small window by the drivers door is clearly wrong! It should not be vertical, it should be angled. Also, the grilles look more like Windows on the 3D scan.

'Preserved' Class 370 Inter-City APT-P

T

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, HullCityB17 said:

Well ill ignorance is bliss... & fools and their money...!

it is not my fault you can't see the obvious. It doesn't take make searching the Internet to see that the small window by the drivers door is clearly wrong! It should not be vertical, it should be angled. Also, the grilles look more like Windows on the 3D scan.

'Preserved' Class 370 Inter-City APT-P

T

APT.jpg.fc9c3ccbe0cd3d2078ff29db298691ad.jpg

Apologies to Phil Parker for Ba$trd1$ing his image.....

Edited by Bob Reid

You're tying yourself up in knots here - the image Phil Parker took, is a 3D print too which DJ has added painted panels to represent some of the features whether they are bodylights doors or grilles.  Nothing is missing or at face value in the wrong place and certainly not the extra door you claimed originally.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Erm ..... I've never seen an APT either, and I'm not in the market (yet) for one, but I would suggest that the driver's door window is a tad high, the top of which ought to be in line with the tops of the grilles as per the colour photograph. In any case the door frame is much thicker above the window in the photo than on the model.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Bob Reid said:

APT.jpg.fc9c3ccbe0cd3d2078ff29db298691ad.jpg

Apologies to Phil Parker for Ba$trd1$ing his image.....

Looking at the 3D printed APT-P it looks like the the destination blind window is a little bit to far away from the grille on the right, but it could just be the angle of the photo of the prototype. But I'm sure it will be something that if is wrong will be sorted before production. 

Craig 

58 minutes ago, HullCityB17 said:

The picture I got off the net "could" have been taken whilst tilt mode was active.

But you were so unequivocal and definite in your absolute belief in your assertions. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Having not looked at this thread for a while, I was a little taken aback by the first post on this page, and wondered what the fuss was about.  I went to the previous page, and spent a minute or two looking, and couldn't see anything that obvious, but clearly I must have been missing something as the "3D print is clearly wrong" and there's an "obvious" error.  It wasn't til I read @Philou's comment that I saw the door window looks a tad high.  I'm still looking for the "obvious error" with the "window by the driver's door" - the only window I can see by the driver's door is the definitely not vertical cab side window...  I'm sure there's a degree of justification for the frustration with DJM's slow progress, but it's a bit worrying that someone can jump in and slate it, yet seems to have difficulty distinguising "vertical" from "on a slope and viewed from an angle" on a picture where it's actually pretty clear - for context of what is vertical, it's easy to compare it to the cab door and the tiny bit of saloon window visible in the picture you yourself showed.  Maybe wind your neck in a little bit, and ease of the "ignorance" and "fools" comments, the only one you've proved to be both ignorant and a fool in your haste is yourself, and as someone who also couldn't see your "obvious" "error", I find your tone as offensive as I'm sure those it was directed at did.  This is a friendly forum, there's no need for it.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, HullCityB17 said:

I see your point about the destination blind. The picture I got off the net "could" have been taken whilst tilt mode was active.

However, Philou's comment about the door window needs addressing.

But surely that is why Dave has received and shared the 3D print.  It is effectively a touchy feely 3D print of the CAD and its sole purpose is to be "ripped apart".  You need to save you spleen venting until Dave has cut tooling metal I reckon.    

Edited by Covkid
typo
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, HullCityB17 said:

I see your point about the destination blind. The picture I got off the net "could" have been taken whilst tilt mode was active.

However, Philou's comment about the door window needs addressing.

Your inability to understand perspective and angled surfaces aside, the door window issue may be due to an errant brush stroke in filling the window locations with black paint rather than something more sinister.

The phrase “clutching at straws” springs to mind here.

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Regarding the grille nearest to the driver's door which sits entirely inside the red swoosh: On the model it looks like a parallelogram. The real one looks slightly wider at the top than the bottom & the red swoosh follows this, also being wider at the top.

I wonder is this was deemed an error & 'corrected' when turning the 3D scan into artwork, or maybe how the grille has been painted to show it in the proof print?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Covkid said:

But surely that is why Dave has received and shared the 3D print.  It is effectively a touchy feely 3D print of the CAD and its sole purpose is to be "ripped apart".  You need to save you spleen venting until Dave has cut tooling metal I reckon.    

There are two purposes for sharing the 3d print, the first is advertising - in Dave's case its probably advertising there is progress, not just talk. 

The more useful purpose is to 'crowdfund' your QA inspection of the design, so that any errors that he hasn't noticed might get picked up - there isn't much point slagging it off on here - feedback direct to Dave is whats required.

Once metal has been cut for the moulds its too late, the cost is sunk with the mould. After that it can be critiqued so that others can make an informed decision about buying it, but its very unlikely that any meaningful change will occur.

Jon

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Regarding the grille nearest to the driver's door which sits entirely inside the red swoosh: On the model it looks like a parallelogram. The real one looks slightly wider at the top than the bottom & the red swoosh follows this, also being wider at the top.

I wonder is this was deemed an error & 'corrected' when turning the 3D scan into artwork, or maybe how the grille has been painted to show it in the proof print?

Yes, i noticed that.  To be fair to Dave, I couldn't distinguish on his 3d print whether the grilles have been moulded/printed or whether he'd just painted a smooth side black.

• RMweb Gold

There's another slight error to my eyes too - but this could just be down to the paint on the 3D print highlighting the grills and windows.

The grill nearest the drivers door gets wider towards the top - the one on the 3D print looks like its width remains parallel which is odd because on the CAD drawing it's correct.

That's a constructive criticism which may help to iron out any little errors! 

Edited by scoobyra
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, HullCityB17 said:

I’d suggest you do some proper research before you post anything else on the subject.....

Constructive  criticism put in a positive manner is always appreciated.... making things up isn’t...

Edited by Andy Mac
Tidy up!
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I know Dave doesn't post here any more but I do hope he reads this thread. In among the negative posts there is some constructive criticism but no indication that those making constructive remarks are communicating to Dave's e mail.

Even a one line post from Dave to confirm he is still on RMweb would be reassuring.

• Agree 2

Ah .... no, I haven't sent anything to Dave regarding the possible slight discrepancy with the height of the driver's door window. As I haven't really been following this thread I haven't had need to think about communicating with Dave. Do you have an address for him?

Cheers,

Philip