OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

This is where Dave does himself and existing crowdfunders a disservice by not participating in this thread.  

A person is willing to crowdfund an APT but someone else actively discourages him.  Where is Dave to counter such negative posts as Great Western's?

Edited by Colin_McLeod
typo
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Great Western said:

if you have a spare £500+ I’d feel much better investing with my Nigerian Brother, who happens to be air to a oil fortune on the payment of £800.....

Just wondering what “air” is in this context. Is it some sort of text-speak?

Edited by Mike Harvey
  • Like 2

As Colin has posted the link, it was item 2 on the list that DJ had spotted in his e-mail to me. The CAD/3D print had not shown the nose with enough curve on it. The print came out dead flat. I note that the three items to which were referred here hadn't been picked up in the list. I think it's just as well to let Dave know if there IS something that can/ought to be rectified at this stage - otherwise it'll be too late.

Cheers,

Philip

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Philou said:

As Colin has posted the link, it was item 2 on the list that DJ had spotted in his e-mail to me. The CAD/3D print had not shown the nose with enough curve on it. The print came out dead flat. I note that the three items to which were referred here hadn't been picked up in the list. I think it's just as well to let Dave know if there IS something that can/ought to be rectified at this stage - otherwise it'll be too late.

Cheers,

Philip

I spotted the error when I saw the 3D print but as I am neither a fan of DJM or crowdfunding this model, I did not comment for fear of being labelled a hater or a troll, so I wound my neck in and continued to build my own.

And he is wrong in stating the cab side window is flat not curved. The pic at the end of the newsletter clearly shows a very subtle curve on the top leading edge.

cheers

Shane

Edited by Wolf27

On 25/02/2019 at 08:05, Pete the Elaner said:

Regarding the grille nearest to the driver's door which sits entirely inside the red swoosh: On the model it looks like a parallelogram. The real one looks slightly wider at the top than the bottom & the red swoosh follows this, also being wider at the top.

I wonder is this was deemed an error & 'corrected' when turning the 3D scan into artwork, or maybe how the grille has been painted to show it in the proof print?

Yes, that grille is gently tapered in real life. To be able to make any sort of helpful comments, we really need to see head on/side on views of the 3D print, unlike the three-quarters ones in the newsletter that Dave's put out. I'm sure that Dave will do his best, and however it turns out it will be a very good model, which should please most people.

I'm not sure about the numbers of DCC chips required, try asking DJ Models or Durham Trains of Stanley. Its probably not something I took an awful lot of notice on bearing in mind the cost of the full APT already ... an extra DCC chip doesn't make a huge difference to the cost!

The legoman biffo APT sounds....

As for length, it must be around 13 feet

Edited by GordonC
adding link to video
  • Like 2

@Pete, Mel and Wolf

I did send a follow-up e-mail to DJ regarding the shape of the smaller grille in that it should have been 'tapered' (trapezoidal?) rather than a parallelogram and that the red 'swoosh' followed the shape of the tapered edge. I passed no comment regarding the smaller driver's curved window as it hadn't formed part of the earlier points. Does someone want to explain to Dave the point as I find describing a 3D concept awkward? I can do it, but I'll take 3000 words when perhaps 20 would do ;) .

Cheers,

Philip

21 minutes ago, Philou said:

@Pete, Mel and Wolf

I did send a follow-up e-mail to DJ regarding the shape of the smaller grille in that it should have been 'tapered' (trapezoidal?) rather than a parallelogram and that the red 'swoosh' followed the shape of the tapered edge. I passed no comment regarding the smaller driver's curved window as it hadn't formed part of the earlier points. Does someone want to explain to Dave the point as I find describing a 3D concept awkward? I can do it, but I'll take 3000 words when perhaps 20 would do ;) .

Cheers,

Philip

I understand that perfectly well as I can use my own eyes to see what’s wrong and work it out for myself. Dave could do the same as he should have studied the real surviving vehicle in detail. No excuse for getting such thing wrong, even at the drafting stage. 

Cheers

Shane

28 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I'm not sure about the numbers of DCC chips required, try asking DJ Models or Durham Trains of Stanley. Its probably not something I took an awful lot of notice on bearing in mind the cost of the full APT already ... an extra DCC chip doesn't make a huge difference to the cost!

The legoman biffo APT sounds....

As for length, it must be around 13 feet

Hi Gordon
Thanks for the you tube link. Sound great .

Just got a reply from Dave . They want a lot of functions to work but at the moment they are not 100% sure on what route to go down via the eletronics. It is early days in the project so we have to execpt there may have to be changes . 13feet WOW that will be a long train . Will look great in the Garden .

I am pleased to say I am on board this project , can wait to get the train .

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you want to get a point across to Dave use the email info@djmodels.co.uk   When he reads this thread, he does not log on and so he has not read any  RMweb personal messages and now his in box has maxed out.

If you have an unanswered PM try again by e mail. 

• 3 weeks later...

Newsletter number 5 and to quote Dave from it,

"Anyway, as ever, if you would like to comment on anything that could make the model better, or something that ‘rankles’ detail or accuracy wise, please mail me directly at info@djmodels.co.uk As ever, please remember that this newsletter goes out to you as a customer, and will not go straight out for public consumption until 2 or so weeks have passed. This is to play fair with all crowdfunders who may not get access to this newsletter as soon as you may have done."

Please respect his wishes,

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

I don't think I am releasing too much information by revealing this, but it does put me off even more.

Hello and welcome to the riveting read that is the 5th APT newsletter, released to all customers on Tuesday 26th April 2019

Did I miss a month?

I'm still getting the year wrong, three months in , so I think I'd cut him a bit of slack on this

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

Do these newsletters get published for consumption by the great remaining public after the two week secret period? And if so where? I've not found them on the DJM website.

Presumably previous issues (to this latest reported one) can be read by all.

G

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, grahame said:

Do these newsletters get published for consumption by the great remaining public after the two week secret period? And if so where? I've not found them on the DJM website.

Presumably previous issues (to this latest reported one) can be read by all.

G

I presume on his website, but he's not that good at sticking to his own timescales, so they tend to get published when he remembers .....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

They’re in the “News” section of his website. The latest one on the APT is #3, so number 4 hasn’t made it yet, and nothing on the N gauge one at all that I can see. The last 92 one (indeed the last post) is the 11th Feb, which I don’t think is up to date either. 

3 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I presume on his website, but he's not that good at sticking to his own timescales, so they tend to get published when he remembers .....

But where on the website? I can't seem to find anything relevant on it. Also it does seem very out of date as the section on the N gauge King still mentions it will be going to tooling in late August / early September last year, and we know that didn't happen. And relying on memory (and then forgetting or not bothering) to update things seems rather lackadaisical and un-professional. 

This secrecy and lack of official update information just encourages rumour and speculation, and does little to market or promote the potential products to get more customers signed up. It's all a little worrying.

G

• Agree 3