OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Incidentally in the pictures of the latest cads at the bottom of the picture in cut down text it looks like it states created using free version- I guess this will be a free version of the cad software.

i have no knowledge of the differences in cad software but will there be a difference in quality between the free and paid for version assuming that's what it means? Can this affect the model adversely?

23 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Maybe we should all send the questions to Dave but not post the response here to avoid doing Dave's job for him and becoming his personal secretaries. If he gets enough requests for info then maybe he will come here and post himself or at least promptly post a newsletter on his site with the answers to the many questions.

I doubt we will see him on here for the foreseeable future.

19 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Incidentally in the pictures of the latest cads at the bottom of the picture in cut down text it looks like it states created using free version- I guess this will be a free version of the cad software.

i have no knowledge of the differences in cad software but will there be a difference in quality between the free and paid for version assuming that's what it means? Can this affect the model adversely?

I think it's Dave using the free version to view and display the CADs he receives from China.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Markwj said:

The normalised purpose of eval / trial software is to encourage you to buy it or encourage wider adoption by others as a standard thus encouraging others to buy it.

Without seeing the exact software version, my usual interpretation has been that an evaluation version is usual one or more combinations of:

feature limited (not every button is present), read only,limited use (by time or number of uses), restricted in exports or file formats, or file sizes handled, add watermarks, restrict number of users, notify Sales dept of usage, notify operations of license violations etc.

I doubt it would reduce quality, remove data, introduce inaccuracy etc, that would go against encouraging you to buy it, unless their was an adverse impact to selling the software if it didn’t do it.

Could this affect the model adversely...

Theoretically Yes, it could introduce delay if the evaluation ran out, it would require buying a license for the software before it could continue to be used. If it’s a free-readonly version probably not if it’s only being used as reference and a copy elsewhere was doing the updates.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

The people in China designing the model will have the full software package, I'm guessing DJ only needs the free version to view and comment on the work done in China.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Whilst you have Dave's ear, could I trouble you to ask him about the front cabside window.  The reason I ask is there is a photo on the Alamy website which shows the window as a very neat isoceles triangle, symmetrical through its longest length.  In other images, the window appears as a four sided shape, almost a triangle, but not quite, with different radius corners

1 hour ago, Ouroborus said:

Honestly Colin, I couldn't care less if the model turns out with the windows triangular or square.

Yet you would have had me go out of my way to find out for you.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Colin

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I asked Dave last night and he advised as follows:

The model will tilt to around 7 degrees, and a mechanism has already been designed but not released until testing is complete.

Car connections will be linked to this tilt mechanism.

hello Colin thanks for the info . I will happly wait to see how it looks in the full ness of time .

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 18:00, Colin_McLeod said:

No5

OO Gauge APT Newsletter _5.pdf

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/03/2019 at 19:52, jjb1970 said:

The people in China designing the model will have the full software package, I'm guessing DJ only needs the free version to view and comment on the work done in China.

It all depends how deeply you want to go into the CAD when checking it.  To that properly you will need access to all the viewing angles and zoom etc features and possibly some other 'n bells & whistles' as well so I wonder if the 'free'/demo package allows that?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd be amazed if it didn't, zooming and panning are hardly "bells & whistles" with regards to CAD - I think we can move on from that, although I agree I'm tickled by seeing the watermark.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

That’s the first instance I know of where a manufacturer encourages people people to buy more “even if just to sell on eBay”! 

It's happened before I remember it as a formal posting when it came to early crowdfunding and I thought it was an odd way to promote more sales - i.e. in the hope of making a profit on Ebay.  Ironically, the said item is now on it's second run of models from said manufacturer with the first lot all sold out and I am guessing there will have been some ebay trading of that first tranche as people tried to buy up what could have been a one hit model.

So despite my reservations it might have merit and it certainly helps Dave make his numbers more comfortable.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

That’s the first instance I know of where a manufacturer encourages people people to buy more “even if just to sell on eBay”! 

I would say that is a sensible approach...and one we have seen with a number of Revolution products. In an ideal world it gets the number of orders up, and once delivered creates some limited availability for the 'I wish I got one of those when they were available' brigade, albeit at the usual eBay prices. Given the uncertainty around mechanisms, capability of the manufacturer to deliver etc; there are many who would like the model, but are hanging back to see if it is any good/sees the light of day. It could be an excellent (but risky and costly) investment for someone, but definitely worthwhile if the model is delivered, especially to the spec being promised.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It all depends how deeply you want to go into the CAD when checking it.  To that properly you will need access to all the viewing angles and zoom etc features and possibly some other 'n bells & whistles' as well so I wonder if the 'free'/demo package allows that?

It looks like Solidworks e-viewer, which will view most CAD files. Anyone can register and download the free version with 3D rendering, pan, tilt, etc. You will get bombarded with e mails asking if you want to buy the full version and sign up for courses etc. I use it for printing drawings and looking at 3D images of our mouldings.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 29/03/2019 at 21:26, adb968008 said:

Do you mean this one below, which leaks the subject of Daves email but asks us all not to leak it out of decency ?

I didn't actually leak anything other than the subjects under discussion. I'm quite happy to share the whole text next Monday if I remember. 

Looks like Colin beat me to it............

Edited by 96701
Duff information and out of date!

• AY Mod locked this topic