OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

8 would be a nice length, but this may well be a limited edition. What if you later get the chance to run the full length train, on a club layout or something, but can't because the extra coaches have become unavailable?

Edit: I can only fit 10 in my fiddle yard (which would still look nice) but have just ordered the 14.

Where I am (France), the club layouts are all HO and - to be honest - never reached standards of the Chatham Model Railway club I once belonged too. Now there, I could run any length of train plus big kit built locos as nothing was less than 4ft radius.The Rapido 4 car takes a little time to assemble, a 14 car APT-P would see half a club evening putting it together and taking it apart again.

In preparation for an eventual Dover boat train, I have tried running three 4-VEPs together on my current layout, but really it did not like 26inch curves and it was a pointlessly big train on a layout 3.5metres long. So I am designing a light weight 'go to show' with 3 metre long straight(ish) sections plus curves that gives a total length of 5m. This will just cope with a 13 car south eastern boat train - by far the biggest projected to run.

The 14  coach APT-P beast is even bigger.

At the same, we currently do not know the price of each set. The price difference between 10 and 14 car sets in N is about £100. Which of course means more value for money.

I'll await prices before deciding which to order as I don't want to be changing my mind every few months.

I may need my head looking at but I ordered 2 sets yesterday! The 14 car black cab set because I always promised myself a full length set if one was ever produced and a full yellow fronted 6 car set (although i'm wondering if I should have picked the 7 instead) because I wanted both the yellow and black cab versions! I'm going to lie down now until after Christmas!

• Like 4

Where I am (France), the club layouts are all HO and - to be honest - never reached standards of the Chatham Model Railway club I once belonged too. Now there, I could run any length of train plus big kit built locos as nothing was less than 4ft radius.The Rapido 4 car takes a little time to assemble, a 14 car APT-P would see half a club evening putting it together and taking it apart again.

In preparation for an eventual Dover boat train, I have tried running three 4-VEPs together on my current layout, but really it did not like 26inch curves and it was a pointlessly big train on a layout 3.5metres long. So I am designing a light weight 'go to show' with 3 metre long straight(ish) sections plus curves that gives a total length of 5m. This will just cope with a 13 car south eastern boat train - by far the biggest projected to run.

The 14  coach APT-P beast is even bigger.

At the same, we currently do not know the price of each set. The price difference between 10 and 14 car sets in N is about £100. Which of course means more value for money.

I'll await prices before deciding which to order as I don't want to be changing my mind every few months.

Good point about assembly, I have a few tricks that I hope will surprise and amaze you with it’s cunning, foxy, wise old owl, sage of yore..........oh who am I kidding. I’m trying for a very easy coupling system bespoke to the APT, there I’ve said it.

I don’t want anything that takes the fun and enjoyment out of it, and long assembly processes will.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I think we have introduced unnecessary complexity here. 5/6/7/8/10/14 cars with and without black window surrounds.

Surely the answer would have been to make 2 basic sets , maybe 6 cars long accommodating yellow and black windscreen variants , then make extra coaches available . I appreciate that they are articulated but Rapido pulled it off with additional coaches for the APT-E.

Would make life a whole load simpler .

• Like 1

I ordered the 14 car set even though I've no idea how big my layout will be. (We're house hunting so depends where we buy!)

Looked through my pics last night from the 1 and only trip I did on the APT, a treat for us BR YTS kids back in April 85, doing a day return from Glasgow to Euston. Was delighted to see that it was 370 007 that I was on that day, which is the chosen number for the 14 car set I ordered.

attachicon.gif15.jpg

A few strings may have been pulled as well which ensured a cab visit before departure ...

attachicon.gif8.jpg

attachicon.gif9.jpg

Followed by a tap on my shoulder from my instructor as we left Carlisle and a whispered "come with me", whereupon I was let into the cab for the home stretch up to Glasgow, re-taking my seat again as we approached Rutherglen.

Lockerbie at 125 mph...

attachicon.gif19.jpg

attachicon.gif20.jpg

Really, really hoping that this project comes to fruition with a stunning model of this iconic train.

Meanwhile, about half a mile away, a six year old me didn't know what he was missing. Unless I was at school, in which case I was about 100m away.

Edited by Luke Piewalker

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile, about half a mile away, a six year old me didn't know what he was missing. Unless I was at school, in which case I was about 100m away.

Lol. We left Euston at 16:30. Don't have timings but it was about 20:00 or so as we flashed through Lockerbie. Those were the last 2 shots on my 24 exposure film that I had used on the day trip to London and light was fading fast.

post-22167-0-26788600-1511903421.jpg

• Like 4

Some more formations 

8 Car 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142591433@N02/34427195181/in/photolist-bNT5kT-7DKq9V-7Tyy1f-8S4gFZ-6BevMo-7nunE8-s5Tin6-7SKhur-YzJpqi-WvGZeq-Ti4vQA-d7jV4C-WSUXQ7-Wz2Swj-GLDpYu-YH3FP7-a4Pe5K-edaZHM-WSUXzN-qN3kzS-e2GySg-ZGvb75-gT3qMi-2bWjR8-ayqfBT-feJCwd-aH5hVg-UsdnGH-TsMRDW-gT3jzi-kcbTDY-pwS6uJ-Wm9vdS-5f8HVd-gT2s1d-amq37D-bLRp3B-8BnmwB-gT2CM4-a4PgDv-gT2qMS-pDbvSq-gT2Bz5-c36Erm-FGs9PF-64RhTb-zsX1tN-8S4gxz-7NUmMN-EvfJ3e 

7 Car

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_davis_photos/5950374671/in/photolist-bNT5kT-7DKq9V-7Tyy1f-8S4gFZ-6BevMo-7nunE8-s5Tin6-7SKhur-YzJpqi-WvGZeq-Ti4vQA-d7jV4C-WSUXQ7-Wz2Swj-GLDpYu-YH3FP7-a4Pe5K-edaZHM-WSUXzN-qN3kzS-e2GySg-ZGvb75-gT3qMi-2bWjR8-ayqfBT-feJCwd-aH5hVg-UsdnGH-TsMRDW-gT3jzi-kcbTDY-pwS6uJ-Wm9vdS-5f8HVd-gT2s1d-amq37D-bLRp3B-8BnmwB-gT2CM4-a4PgDv-gT2qMS-pDbvSq-gT2Bz5-c36Erm-FGs9PF-64RhTb-zsX1tN-8S4gxz-7NUmMN-EvfJ3e 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adogriff/4334255293/in/photolist-64RhTb-zsX1tN-8S4gxz-7NUmMN-EvfJ3e-gT2Buf-y7WaH-gT2Ac5-W1cRSx-gT2F6y-ahC9ne-6PcXZw-UYfvDc-edaZMR-fe8zTo-qH755t-u4tRx-SjWbQw-7SKeee-RMFeyf-edgDW5-XVeD7-ashvNh-aseSK8-21RBvCR-XdTiFx-qGbt82-8NyDya-711EqG-8RSxnL-98rG17-64M1dv-ar3Vhy-sYDhYV-edgDVJ-i8GsPE-TKah7v-8kMahd-aseU9K-7B1c6x-iWtkaU-jEhYw7-gT3iN8-aseVK8-UPGW7m-y7W8o-dMAWbB-9igxx3-psDxcv-dRmB2b

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51738247@N03/6780717006/in/photolist-aseVK8-UPGW7m-y7W8o-dMAWbB-9igxx3-psDxcv-dRmB2b-ashCkL-eD18Jq-aseUy2-5NgCtW-7B9cZG-67g4cr-edgDM9-4hYEpW-7uk4CL-82RvwH-Wm9vGh-gT2yef-59pK2e-bkbWVU-iUXaUg-poMvg8-bJ8n7a-qz1whW-aseW7F-dMsLew-gT3r9R-qgiC5W-8pa72T-Td8AJB-UFdfZN-ZRUGaE-gT2s9u-a1x1qQ-FiUZPV-oJtps2-q88UZk-eDb6DH-ovvKgb-y7W5N-ezXghr-4HvyE8-c1H7zj-d2wZ8m-7SKbDB-ghtun4-4JKKH2-VRWaTp-VZfaEt

6 Car 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25924336@N04/2480757032/in/photolist-7sz4ee-bt7P1b-7CZJad-abFhch-5hriPz-i2m1Rw-qG9UWn-9NdUNk-bqFN8i-7URt5m-d7jVwA-ashxXf-dNPNCs-rndvpP-9MqBa-eHAoHR-4KtgLX-9rv51B-7Kr4oW-TMFMDE-d7jRiS-25yGns-97CZ8F-4MdwCY-9iXnfy-3N7eya-qz1wPN-VB8Epa-5ghMvU-hC2LW2-caVu5Q-EQ1NQJ-geXp4-7SKj8t-eHxE7D-geXiS-67g46z-8xNkk-5hrjix-eCU1nM-dmQ6vA-9xuYT4-4ZAMuD-afDvCc-6SrGrY-fB6WPN-4LAx1f-mT5QbE-hs92Yf-7SNmCb

Would I be correct that every possible combination from 5 to 14 coaches would have been run at some stage during the testing programme, except the longer formations would have had 2 power cars in the formation?

I wonder what the longest formation with only 1 power car was?

Edited by royaloak

Would I be correct that every possible combination from 5 to 14 coaches would have been run at some stage during the testing programme, except the longer formations would have had 2 power cars in the formation?

I wonder what the longest formation with only 1 power car was?

I'm sure Mr Tilt will be along to let us know pretty soon.

• Like 1

Never got the chance to travel in the Apt-p when it was in service though I did spot it several times, one time being dragged back after failing....

Quick, maybe daft question, So, as a passenger, could you walk between the two sets? Was there a passenger corridor through the power cars or were they just two self contained sets?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Yes that was one of the downsides . You couldn’t walk between sets , they were essentially two self contained units which meant that catering facilities had to be duplicated. Although the train did briefly go into service I think for production versions they were looking at putting the power car at one end. Sort of what ended up as an IC225. I still have Modern Railways edition from around 1980 which highlighted IC125s which were still entering service then and APT services and what the fleet plan was . It was a great time for British Inter City Trains .

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

In conversing with Mick,

It's been made aware that a black fronted 6 car set could be on the cards - the condition and formation that the preserved set is at Crewe. If anyone else wants this variant please contact Mick, as the more of us there are that want it, the more chance of it becoming an option.

What we really need in the description is where the TRSB sits in each set, along with the previously promised coach and full unit numbers. I do feel that to have both the six and seven car sets with yellow fronts is a slight disappointment as it would be nice to have a mix of fronts in those more affordable half length sets.

Cheers,

What we really need in the description is where the TRSB sits in each set, along with the previously promised coach and full unit numbers.

Cheers,

As I understand it, the short sets were only used during testing so most wouldnt have had a bun truck (TRSB) in the formation.

As I understand it, the short sets were only used during testing so most wouldnt have had a bun truck (TRSB) in the formation.

The preserved set does though, making it the main draw for the information on the TRSB inclusions.

Cheers,

Yes that was one of the downsides . You couldn’t walk between sets , they were essentially two self contained units which meant that catering facilities had to be duplicated. Although the train did briefly go into service I think for production versions they were looking at putting the power car at one end. Sort of what ended up as an IC225. I still have Modern Railways edition from around 1980 which highlighted IC125s which were still entering service then and APT services and what the fleet plan was . It was a great time for British Inter City Trains .

Surely the existence of a Power Car in the middle means that it would make no sense modelling anything except for the pre-production prototype -shorter sets? Plus the length and cost of long sets is beyond the reach of most of us?

Perhaps DJM / Durham Models should put up a voting page similar to SLW and ask if there is enough interest for the APT Squadron for those modellers who want to 'go all the way'?

Edited by letterspider