OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

The size of the power cars (about that of a class 52 Western) should enough space for weight and big motor and still leave space for DCC gubbins.

Two power cars should push pull a 14 car train through anything.

I would be more concerned on couplings between power cars and coaches as there no articulated bogies. These would need lock in place, yet have a close coupling system that works as well in compression as in tension while pushing/dragging the heavy through curves and gradients at high speeds and remain easy to put together and take apart (with doubtless DCC electrical connections).

Not impossible but needs to be thought through and have some working prototypes.

One power car is more than adequate given a decent mech.

https://youtu.be/boiIcPWZz3c?t=248

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With any curve and long model train you get resistance, with reverse curves it’s worse, add gradients, then gradients with curves it’s a real pain.

So, what I think you're saying is, that I might have a bit of difficulty running my 14 coach set at a scale 140 mph on my double helix (when the layouts finally built) ;) ;) :jester:

post-22167-0-68240000-1511999808_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I’m struggling with all these different versions available. How are you going to design packaging for 5/6/7/10/14 coaches . Surely it would be bespoke for each version.

With all due respect, surely things such as packaging aren't our worries? I'm pretty sure that the manufacturers can fathom the packaging without our assistance - I'm yet to hear of a 'project cancelled' due to not being able to find the right boxes.  :jester:

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With all due respect, surely things such as packaging aren't our worries? I'm pretty sure that the manufacturers can fathom the packaging without our assistance - I'm yet to hear of a 'project cancelled' due to not being able to find the right boxes. :jester:

It all adds to the cost . And with 14 cars it needs to be sturdy . Believe me I’ve seen plenty projects fail because of inadequate packaging .

Edited by Legend

I can only echo Legend's suggestion for, say, a basic 6-car set plus extra coaches for people to make whatever length rake they want, as was done with the APT-E.

I'm very interested in a decent length rake and I'd want black cab window surrounds. When I look at the options though, 10 cars would be too long for me and the only other shorter black-cabbed option is a 5-car set, which is shorter than I'd like. 7 or 8 cars would be ideal for me, although I'd probably go for a 6-car set too if that was the nearest available. I could add the black cabs myself, but that's not really something I want to do when that livery version is obviously being produced.

So, my situation right now is that I'd happily to commit to one, but the option I would want isn't available at the moment. I'd also like to know the price of course.

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

It would be easier to do it as a 5 car train pack like Hornby did, with and without the black mask windscreen surround, you could sell the additional power car separately with its original pantograph or with its later Brecknell willis pantograph, all its intermediate coaches could also be sold separately, it had quite a few variations on its driving coach, full yellow end, black mask with the br logo as an outline, br logo fully painted black, apt logo as an outline, then infilled with red and a red line separating the yellow and the grey, even its power cars had no Br logo on one side and Intercity apt on the other side when it was first built.

Doing it this way would avoid the need for a massive box that could hold 14 00 gauge coaches and it would help people to avoid the cost of buying a full 14 car unit in one go.

• RMweb Gold

It would be easier to do it as a 5 car train pack like Hornby did, with and without the black mask windscreen surround, you could sell the additional power car separately with its original pantograph or with its later Brecknell willis pantograph, all its intermediate coaches could also be sold separately, it had quite a few variations on its driving coach, full yellow end, black mask with the br logo as an outline, br logo fully painted black, apt logo as an outline, then infilled with red and a red line separating the yellow and the grey, even its power cars had no Br logo on one side and Intercity apt on the other side when it was first built.

Doing it this way would avoid the need for a massive box that could hold 14 00 gauge coaches and it would help people to avoid the cost of buying a full 14 car unit in one go.

Hi Agree with above see my post No.60 for full potential spec but of course DJ will be directed by Mick at Stanley trains. I guess it will take until after Crimbo to see how it pans out. Added my N order to the clamour but would hopefully get all the half trains in full if I win the pools / sell my soul to the company a bit more (XC)

Robert 

The easier way, which I suspect Dave has already twigged is that you produce trays that hold 7 vehicles (i.e. up to a full half set) and then you only have to produce two box types (a seven and a 14).

That way anything up to 7 cars fits in one tray, and anything over comes in two "half set" trays.

From the options presented so far, only the two most expensive options need two trays...

People are clearly favouring the 14 car sets in N gauge already by Dave's comments, and I suspect the same may happen in 00.

Edited by frobisher

Like the (apparently) delightful Bachmann Scenecraft Coaling Tower for instance!  44-070.  Been trying to find one for ages!

Invergowrie Model centre has one new and unused in box when I was last in. He does post and can take orders over the phone

• Like 1

o

Now who's going to be building a layout especially to show off the tilt?

One with some nice flowing S bends on the scenic section would look great rather than your typical straight with one curve each end going back to the fiddle yard at each end.

The easier way, which I suspect Dave has already twigged is that you produce trays that hold 7 vehicles (i.e. up to a full half set) and then you only have to produce two box types (a seven and a 14).

That way anything up to 7 cars fits in one tray, and anything over comes in two "half set" trays.

From the options presented so far, only the two most expensive options need two trays...

People are clearly favouring the 14 car sets in N gauge already by Dave's comments, and I suspect the same may happen in 00.

.....or one 7 car tray with box and one single or twin coach pack tray and box to allow folk to build the rake up according to space or budgets and a single or twin coach pack are ideal for xmas or birthdays.  there might be some who a) can afford the full 14 car twin power car train and b) have the layout to run it (because lets face it nobody will have a display cabinet long enough if that's all they want to do with theirs) but I don't envisage many orders for the 14.  Even a 7 car train on your average 00 layout looks long.  Maybe some don't mind running their APT around a layout so small that the leading cab is running around right up the jacksy of the trailing cab  LOL. 

.....or one 7 car tray with box and one single or twin coach pack tray and box to allow folk to build the rake up according to space or budgets and a single or twin coach pack are ideal for xmas or birthdays.  there might be some who a) can afford the full 14 car twin power car train and b) have the layout to run it (because lets face it nobody will have a display cabinet long enough if that's all they want to do with theirs) but I don't envisage many orders for the 14.  Even a 7 car train on your average 00 layout looks long.  Maybe some don't mind running their APT around a layout so small that the leading cab is running around right up the jacksy of the trailing cab  LOL. 

Would that require trip-cock signalling?

Seems like quite a few people angling for a 7- or 8-car unit with black window surrounds (me included).... Nudge, nudge.

Not sure I can justify paying a fair amount more for coaches I won't use by ordering the 10-car unit. Especially when there is so much else coming up on the horizon competing for my hard-earned cash (Bachmann Mk 2f's, DBSOs, Freightliner wagons, Hornby 87s, etc., etc.)

I'm very tempted to order one but I'm going to hang fire to see whether the option I (and, it seems, quite a few others) want is added.

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep another nudge here for black window surround 6 or 7 car. Likewise I’m waiting to see what develops and indication of price.

Absolutely agree, I would prefer black window surrounds and will not place an order until I know the price and know it is affordable. I would never want to skew the figures in favour of the development to then say it is too much and not follow through.

​As for size, I can't justify 14 car (as much as I would love it) and may just about get away with a 10 car, but realistically a 7 car set would be the best option for me.

Best regards,

​Roy

One power car is more than adequate given a decent mech.

https://youtu.be/boiIcPWZz3c?t=248

Andi

Indeed, sticking a Heljan DPU in the middle would do it ;-)

Roy

• Like 1

.....or one 7 car tray with box and one single or twin coach pack tray and box to allow folk to build the rake up according to space or budgets and a single or twin coach pack are ideal for xmas or birthdays.

Given that the commitment is to a single production run, for now, then I can't see how that could realistically work without someone shouldering this "excess" stock to allow people to build up their rake over time...

• RMweb Gold

Given that the commitment is to a single production run, for now, then I can't see how that could realistically work without someone shouldering this "excess" stock to allow people to build up their rake over time...

Retailers may be prepared to take some knowing people would like to expand sets over time.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Retailers may be prepared to take some knowing people would like to expand sets over time.

Roy

This is a Retailers Commision by Durham Trains of Stanley so exclusive to them. (DJM is 'merely' the contracted designer and link to the manufacturer)  No offence Dave, I know you'll be doing a heck of a lot more!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is a Retailers Commision by Durham Trains of Stanley so exclusive to them. (DJM is 'merely' the contracted designer and link to the manufacturer)  No offence Dave, I know you'll be doing a heck of a lot more!

I am sure that does not stop some from buying from DToS and then selling them: it has happened before with other exclusives. Also, it may be in DToS interest to let it happen if it makes an otherwise unviable project viable.

​Roy