OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

Hi everyone,

I've received some preliminary files from the laser scanning company that i'm going over tonight with a view to 'trying' to put them on here tomorrow after i come back for the night from the Crewe Heritage Centre 30th anniversary APT + 47 show. Please don't moan if i don't until Monday though.

However for tonight, i hope you like the link here below my name....... scanning, photography and film by Drone......enjoy, and you might fleetingly spot yourself if you attended the scanning on June 2nd this year

cheers

Dave

https://youtu.be/29R3zsPcwuU

• Like 6

Finances: As far as i'm concerned HMRC are ok at the minute, no matter what is read, my domain is safe and always has been irrespective of others comments ( i know as i had a nice chat with their MD earlier today).

If you only knew, apart from my own self induced idiocy, what has happened here this last month or 3 you'd blanch......

to give a few examples...... Paypal..... yes that story. Many many weeks to get anywhere with anything with them, and then getting told what i was........... Lloyds Clicksafe..... having to jump trough their usual hoops, then get them to look and approve the web site, its integration, and testing payment icons and the shopping side of it........ 2 more weeks,........... getting the scanning on the APT converted to a useable cad.... which we all thought would take a week to 10 days (and its that and counting),

Hi Dave, not great at IT, so can't help you on that side. We do have someone who has his own company based in Warrington. so fairly local, we deal with the owner, James Murphy. https://graffiti-digital.co.uk/projects_category/ecommerce-design/

However reading the above.... Can Lloyds Clicksafe not help you recover your website as they have obviously seen and approved it? Maybe even the MD at the domain hosting company that you spoke to earlier this week? Just a thought. Having paid for someone to set it up, I would have thought someone else like the above could recover it?

Edited by Widnes Model Centre
  • Like 1

Seeming as the n gauge apt-p has come down in price significantly , has the oo gauge one come down in price too?.

Most of that is due to the new lower/simpler spec of the N Gauge model, so unless Dave is going to do the same for the OO model then probably not.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the N gauge one was nowhere near required volumes so Dave’s revised quote strips out tilting, interior decoration, through wiring and coach lighting. As the OO one has reached critical mass there’s no reason to revisit it.

• Like 1

Looks like my next colour scheme. That'll get a few tongues wagging lol.

Brian

nah - it is the colour scheme for the next East Coast Main Line franchise - they've used most of the others...…

Les

Hi everyone,

To whet everyone who might be interested's 'whistle', here are the latest cad/cam's of the APT that was scanned at the laser scanning party at Crewe Heritage Centre on 2nd June this year. Please note there is still some work to do to finish the cad/cam model

cheers
Dave

post-1144-0-23742500-1533724921_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-21194800-1533724931_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-21642600-1533724939_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-21993400-1533724946_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-70965500-1533724952_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi everyone,

To whet everyone who might be interested's 'whistle', here are the latest cad/cam's of the APT that was scanned at the laser scanning party at Crewe Heritage Centre on 2nd June this year. Please note there is still some work to do to finish the cad/cam model

cheers
Dave

The 2nd pic down shows the Trailer Car with doors at both ends, is that right?

I thought they only had doors at one end on the intermediate cars. Brian will know for sure.  :good:

Edited by Mr_Tilt

Hi guys,

Just a quick note to let you know that the scanning company are aware of all the faults found, from the lack of corridor connectors on some vehicles, to the lower side body brackets, to the anaemic bogies, and of course, the lifting nose and details, plus roof panel lines...... etc etc.

they are merely the latest cad/cams and ones that will, of course, not be the final ones from them as they work through snagging for us.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi all.

The TBF with the one door in the guards compartment is correct ( 3rd picture ), there isn't another door at the other end thats the store cupboard area so that is correct. There are two doors only on the TBF both of them for the guards compartment opposite each other the other end of the coach has the toilet then opposite is the store cupboard...if that makes sense lol.

Kit is correct there should be one door either end they are laid out in a diagonal pattern, so it would be door then toilet, door, toilet...if you walk round the coach, so to speak.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The 2nd pic down shows the Trailer Car with doors at both ends, is that right?

I thought they only had doors at one end on the intermediate cars. Brian will know for sure.  :good:

You are right Kit, and the TBF should have a passenger door on it too on the side shown.

Rob

www.APT-P.com

Hi guys,

Just a quick note to let you know that the scanning company are aware of all the faults found, from the lack of corridor connectors on some vehicles, to the lower side body brackets, to the anaemic bogies, and of course, the lifting nose and details, plus roof panel lines...... etc etc.

they are merely the latest cad/cams and ones that will, of course, not be the final ones from them as they work through snagging for us.

Cheers

Dave

I find this fascinating as I thought that laser scanning was virtually foolproof, that whatever was there on the real thing was picked up by the scanning process and we would be spared stuff like Bachmann's misshapen class 24 cabs. How come stuff has been missed off or rendered differently to the real thing?

I find this fascinating as I thought that laser scanning was virtually foolproof, that whatever was there on the real thing was picked up by the scanning process and we would be spared stuff like Bachmann's misshapen class 24 cabs. How come stuff has been missed off or rendered differently to the real thing?

Agreed, although the use of the word 'vitually' is also correct, as no matter the system, its the man behind the extrapolation, his work, understanding, and judicious use of the photo survey that works together with the scanning and software to complete the image accordingly.

Now, obviously something has gone wrong. I know they were using 2 types of software to do the bogies, as black is always a pain in the posterior when it comes to laser scanning, but something is definitely awry on the scanning versus extrapolation by human.

This is why you still check, check and check again, and why the 52 i did for my previous company needed extra work to get right, and why some models that have used laser scanning have resulted in certain models not being as good as they could be.

So it's down to the engineer and his extrapolation using all the information given to him, then to me to go over every last inch, to make sure the file i send to China is positively the best it can be.

It is a concern, but not in a grand scale of things, and nothing that wasn't expected...... ok, i'm lying there, as i always expect something, but not an extra door and no corridor connectors etc. lol

Fingers crossed for something new from them in this within a few more days.

thanks

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm,

If black is an issue, maybe as a lessons learned, perhaps having some water soluable white paint might be worth arranging, with the owning group ?

(Certainly many groups adopt water soluable weathering for galas etc), indeed one black five was covered in Wallpaper once.

Indeed it might not even be dry by end of day to just hosepipe it off after scanning.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Hmm,

If black is an issue, maybe as a lessons learned, perhaps having some water soluable white paint might be worth arranging, with the owning group ?

(Certainly many groups adopt water soluable weathering for galas etc), indeed one black five was covered in Wallpaper once.

Indeed it might not even be dry by end of day to just hosepipe it off after scanning.

Laser scanner would not like it wet either, black gloss and in fact dark gloss colours are real issue for lasers. Oddly so is marble as the laser penetrates the surface to varying depths. Having scan a multitude of items I have come across quite a few things lasers don't like, mirrors, tinted windows, dark gloss paint, water or wet surfaces, oil or grease and marble, to name a few.

I’ve said it before that laser scanning isn’t the be all and end all to producing a model, merely just one of the tools in the arsenal. As an aside how much of an advantage does it give over using other methods? I’m just thinking about other models such as Hornby’s 2 HAL, of which none exist to scan but a model was produced that looked spot on. This proves it can be done with success and after seeing the APT renders with bits in the wrong place, under defined detail around the bogies etc, is it worth the cost, with all the extra work this creates? Wouldn’t the scan be better just used to get the basics right? A good draughtsman and toolmaker will be able to design the bogies and finer details from drawings, photos and measurements. Just me thinking out loud.

Cheers

Shane

• RMweb Gold

I’ve said it before that laser scanning isn’t the be all and end all to producing a model, merely just one of the tools in the arsenal. As an aside how much of an advantage does it give over using other methods? I’m just thinking about other models such as Hornby’s 2 HAL, of which none exist to scan but a model was produced that looked spot on. This proves it can be done with success and after seeing the APT renders with bits in the wrong place, under defined detail around the bogies etc, is it worth the cost, with all the extra work this creates? Wouldn’t the scan be better just used to get the basics right? A good draughtsman and toolmaker will be able to design the bogies and finer details from drawings, photos and measurements. Just me thinking out loud.

Cheers

Shane

No one would turn up to a CAD drawers party, they are pretty lonely types.

For a party, you need a 3D scanner !

I asked the Hornby guy about this last year,he said they do all their cad in the UK, sourced from measuring tapes, drawings and photos. Reckon they can measure up a loco in a few hours.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1