OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

The question is not clear, are you trying to determine the intermediate car of the 6 and 7 car sets from this list?

48201-48206 - Trailer Second

48401-48406 - Trailer Restaurant Second Buffet

48301-48306 - Trailer Unclassified

48501-48506 - Trailer First

FWIW The 10 car set has one of each above. All non intermediate vehicles being 2 of each.

Yes pretty much that - what is the intermediate car of the 6 and 7 car sets?

Might be quicker and easier maybe cheaper to super detail a Hornby power car always a few on flea bay.

Not a bad idea seeing as there is not much to detail in the first place and I wouldn't need a pantograph.

However now everyone knows exactly what I am after and there are no other options, I imagine the prices will shoot up

I must admit that I've never had any problems about feeling 'unfaithful' to a train!

Last year, I did replace the power cars of my childhood HST, the MkIIIs will follow once Oxford gets round to them. Then the APT-P, the rail crane (which I'll just replace with Bachmann) and Stowe are all that are left.

For your HST?  I thought Oxford were only making the loco hauled Mk3a versions in which case it wouldn't look right if you are after absolutely authenticity.

For your HST?  I thought Oxford were only making the loco hauled Mk3a versions in which case it wouldn't look right if you are after absolutely authenticity.

They have said they will eventually do HST ones too. So I'll wait.....

Please note, as stated before, this is a Durham Trains of Stanley project, with DJM as designer and manufacturer.

That said, it’s a very good question.
As with any pre-order that required payment up front there is a risk, and that cannot be denied, whether it’s through DJM, or any other crowdfunding company, it will always be there.

Paying in parts, in this case 4, helps, as monies only go to pay for specific progress milestones, and as each is reached and another comes along etc, payment is again asked for.

You do have the benefit of seeing where the payments are going as well, and what is coming for them. For instance, a tooling deposit will show a first EP in either scale, 2nd ep tooling will show the same but as a higher definition model which is usually a working example, etc.

So at least you see something happening and can rest easier that the project is progressing.

This still won’t help some of your thoughts on the subject, and being ripped off recently in the ‘kickstarter’ for the Tiko 3D printer I do understand your feelings.

Please note this is a DJM crowdfunding project and DJM will be invoicing, designing, and finally supplying the finished model and is therefore totally responsible for your investment.

Also: Please Note: Any 'pure' crowdfunding venture is an investment with no guarantee of return, and your invested capital (deposit payments) are at risk. Please consider carefully whether you wish to partake in this venture before ordering.

I hope this helps, if only a bit.

Cheers
Dave

• Like 4

I think what makes a difference here would be the sums of money involved for the APT would be significantly more than the locos that we've seen crowdfunded so far.

it would need careful consideration if we're committing 4 figure sums and there's any possibility of it failing

I think what makes a difference here would be the sums of money involved for the APT would be significantly more than the locos that we've seen crowdfunded so far.

it would need careful consideration if we're committing 4 figure sums and there's any possibility of it failing

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act may apply depending on how you make your stage payments. As long as the stage payments qualify as instalments rather than payments for a defined stage, then using an eligible means of payment might mean that their is shared liability between the vendor and a credit card provider for all the instalments.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/consumer-credit-act-rights/#.Wiv9Irp2vy0

• Like 3

I have always thought his would be a very interesting combination of stock to model,it would allow modellers without overhead centenary to run the APT-P in a realistic setting. This is from Flickr, and is the only photo of this combination I have seen.

7086881001_570b1d9996_z.jpg

For me it has been a very long term project which may still be achieved with Hornby cut and shut  APT-P and a conversion of a Hornby HST with Genesis ends and hopefully someone will do the etches (Wolf?), or maybe even doing some myself. The crowdfunded APT-P though would make most of the rake much more easily achievable, although my budget probably won't run to the versions just announced at the moment.

There were other protoytpe HST APT car combinations, but this one always seemed the most satisfying for to me as a modeller.

I also think I have seen Class 37 diesels pulling APT-P stock with the driving trailers with their noses lifted to expose towing gear/hooks and buffers, which might also suit those modelling un-electrified lines.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 2

The nose can be un-clipped as designed at present, however there’s a couple of engineering bits and bobs to get over first. One of the things I’ve noticed recently in new models of some limited edition models is that the mad trencher has had his shovel out on the model design.

I’m looking for the nose on the APT to have a lot more ‘finess’ than that

Moving back to the nose internals, the nose has the lights in in real life, and i’d Like to have the lights operational.

So i’m Toying with the plug in nose having brass type connectors on it that touch an area on the front of the cab front bulkhead that has the buffers attached, and a plug in NEM pocket.

Still playing with design ideas, and no doubt that this is on the list to accomplish.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Moving back to the nose internals, the nose has the lights in in real life, and i’d Like to have the lights operational.

Working lights is no longer a 'nice to have' in today's RTR market. I'd say it was as much a standard feature as having wheels on the bogies !

I may have missed this on the spec, but will the nose be operational, ie can be raised so that the set can be hauled at the pointy end?

Hi Yes i intend to able to lift the front for towing. This has been asked a lot and i feel if i didn't do it then it limits the use of it not under the wires.

Mick (Durham Trains)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi That picture is lovely - I like the red lines - but have to say I thought it was only set 7 so its good to see others got it as well. The formation is a bit of a GT set as well with two power cars and 2 +3 trailers. 

Certainly sprung contacts at top of body cavity registering on top of nose cone with a clip on that can be re clipped in the raised position so that lights work when nose lowered would be a way forward. I am sure some after market thought mister would create a servo operated nose lift for even more play factor. And a second servo to advance a coupler would put icing on cake, especially in N gauge ?

and of course rotate the buffers. , I`ll get my coat :jester:         

Robert 

• Like 3

Brass contacts for the lights in the nose in order to facilitate drags feels needlessly complex for the 99% of people who won’t use that facility.

That seems like the crazy no compromise detailing that APT models should demand!

Perhaps DJM can go one better than the cheese sandwich door wedge in the Rapido APT-E

It would be nice if he could model the passenger compartments complete with journalists and miniature plastic pint cups with OO gauge beer, which may or may not spill as the model tilts through the corners.

That seems like the crazy no compromise detailing that APT models should demand!

Perhaps DJM can go one better than the cheese sandwich door wedge in the Rapido APT-E

It would be nice if he could model the passenger compartments complete with journalists and miniature plastic pint cups with OO gauge beer, which may or may not spill as the model tilts through the corners.

You’ll be wanting realistic piles of vomit too i’ll Bet. Lol

Nothing cheesy like a sandwich (excuse the pun) , but I would like to model the drink bottles on the shelves in the buffet, and the guards ‘office’ detail etc. My way of thinking is this is our one chance (probably) to made this icon, so I’d like to make a landmark model, in detail, authenticity, running etc.

At the moment we have a blank sheet of paper, surrounded by an ever growing set of scribbles and designs that will all come together for a pretty big brain storming session with DToS and you the customer.

Maybe we do that at Crewe for the scanning party? Would be great to get as many like minded individuals as we can there and bat things back and forth. It won’t be a design by committee, but I guarantee we will listen and take on board everything, and maybe incorporate a few things too.

Cheers

Dave